Dan302's new car

Dan302

The seam sealer across the rear balance dries out and splits, it only needs to be a hairline. Keep bumper on and run a bead of sealant across top of where bumper and top of valance meet. Means water gathers in there a bit but it’s the lesser of two evils. Worked on mine, might on yours. Could be worse, Fords of this era are awful for the seam sealer drying out on the bulkhead and pissing water over the footwells. 

28 minutes ago, sierraman said:

The seam sealer across the rear balance dries out and splits, it only needs to be a hairline. Keep bumper on and run a bead of sealant across top of where bumper and top of valance meet. Means water gathers in there a bit but it’s the lesser of two evils. Worked on mine, might on yours. Could be worse, Fords of this era are awful for the seam sealer drying out on the bulkhead and pissing water over the footwells. 

Cheers I'll give that a go, luckily the interior is nice and dry (famous last words)

A partial success. Quite a bit of rain here today has seen a tiny bit of water come in on the drivers side. Passenger side is dry, and nothing is coming through the seams around the centre.

Next step is lights out, and perhaps do the seam that runs down from the tail lights to the bumper.

Take all the trim and stuff out of the boot.

Dry it all off

Give everywhere a good dusting of Talc.  

You will then see any water tracks.  

I had had a Rover 400 with a lake in the spare wheel well.  I had to 'stop a bit quick once'.  A few minutes later a rear seat passenger was claiming of a wet arse.  

During the 'stop quick' the Tsunami from the spare wheel well had rushed under the back seat and got soaked up.  I drilled  a hole in the bung and set to stripping the boot out, and re sealed  the lights.   A good dose of Talc everywhere showed it to be all dry.

I *think the leak is a seam behind the bumper on the driver's side leaking into the area where the vent is (which is why I fixed the vents first) I've sealed the bumper to the panel in that area, not the best looking job but it's mostly hidden by the boot lid. I will see how it goes I can always seal the entire length of the bumper if necessary.

Good news, fingers crossed Dan!

I took advantage of a 5 minute break in the torrential rain yesterday to seal the seam that goes from the tail lights down to the bumper on both sides, plus took the lights out and put a bead around one of the fixing points (highlighted in picture) as the screw was wet. Behind the lights was mainly dry so I didn't go mad, but did put some at the top where the seal had perished. Not pretty, but hidden by the lights and boot lid when closed. Perhaps I'll neaten it up sometime.

I found some rust around the floor bung so this must have been a problem for longer than I realised. Rubbed back, treated and painted.

It's absolutely thrown it down all night and the car is dry inside so I'm going to claim a tentative victory for now, though will keep an eye on it. I've used half a tube of sealant so far!!

more seam sealant.JPG

boot floor rust.JPG

light fixing.jpg

• 4 weeks later...