Prick and collect - you RODney plonker

cort16

52 minutes ago, Cheezey said:

Great buy.   

You can now go to Kincardine and have awkward conversations with The Police. 

Why does that remind me of this:

Oh by the way, great buy. Lovely looking car.

I thought C was as early as these got, don't remember ever seeing one on a B. That's the oldest one I've seen for years, there's a few still in use around here but all facelift examples. A mate had a 2.8 Ghia auto in pale metallic blue on a C about twenty years ago and it was a lovely comfortable cruiser, from memory I think it cost him fifty quid with tax and mot. Yours looks like a nice example. 

I really enjoyed whizzing about in my Cosworth Scorp,was odd spec as is had cloth seats. It was tatty and I never washed it once (bought it for £235 as an engine donor). As far as most people were concerned it was an old down-at-heal Granada, until you left them for dust. Absolutely refused to do more than 19MPG though.

My goodness that's horny. Fantastic spec, too. Ought to go like the clappers. Absolutely mega purchasing and no mistake.

I suppose the only more unicorny variant would be the 2.8GL, with keep-fit windows and no rear centre armrest. Like a Granada "club sport", if you will.

15 minutes ago, Bren said:

The efi set up.looks like its from a later car - early models had a plastic shield.

It's weird as the v5 says 2.9, which does make me think it's maybe been fitted with a later engine. 

24 minutes ago, cort16 said:

It's weird as the v5 says 2.9, which does make me think it's maybe been fitted with a later engine. 

One way to confirm this is the exhaust manifolds: 2.8 Cologne has siamese exhaust ports so only two flange manifold whereas 2.9 Cologne has conventional exhaust porting and subsequently, three flange manifolds.

As mentioned before, the injection system looks like the efi set up from the 2.9 variant and the rocker covers don’t look like the sexual cast alloy type the last of the 2.8’s wore.

Should anybody have stayed awake long enough to get this far through this post, their reward will be thusly:

To tell the difference between the 2.3 & 2.8 Cologne engines (also works for the 2.4 & 2.9 versions) at a glance, observe the location of the dipstick. Rearwards of the passenger side, rear exhaust port/manifold = 2.8 (or 2.9), exiting up through the space between ports in the passenger side exhaust manifold = 2.3 (or 2.4)

I believe some Ford Exploders were fitted with a 4.0 litre strain of the Cologne, I know not of their dipstick orientation.

I must be stopped now.

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

Northern powerhouse

IMG_1787.thumb.jpg.419499e6e56584c968daecc1e8a490c6.jpg

Have 7 ft tall children?  Buy a Granada

IMG_1789.thumb.jpg.801b10193529e828e62ddacfaf296d73.jpg

I genuinely had sleepless nights as a child in the 80's hoping one day we could have a ford with this joy stick balance system. We never did. But I do now and it even works with the modern stereo.

IMG_1772.thumb.jpg.43630f983ff44869e1f8408c838960f3.jpg

mintier than a ton of extra strong mints

well bort mon brave

I’m late to the pick up, but that sir, is a tasty buy. Chodspeed!

The interior is a thing of beauty to behold - especially at its age.

Not sure about the wallaby take off, but could the 65mph wobble be something to do with the hockey puck hard tires? Might be about the right speed for resonance. 

47 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Running cold could be a thermostat stuck open ( better than closed!). Vibration at idle and on the move could be anything, but maybe just a noisy tensioner or alternator if it’s not done much mileage. 

A lovely purchase on a very early car.

I need to read up a bit on these I've got zero knowledge of the v6. There's a knock when the engine is running but it's more of a ting, ting, ting rather than knock knock.

It doesn't seem to run too smoothly. I unplugged the ht leads one at a time and  they're all firing (or at least having having some kind of impact).

What ever it was it can't be too bad it made it back 240 miles.

3 minutes ago, CortinaDave said:

Thats mega! I've not been on the site much lately but I assume you got the cortina sold?

Those speaker joysticks were always knackered on my sierras and crackled like buggery when you moved them about

Aye I sold it a month or so ago. Someone flew up from Somerset and drove it back.

Not that you need further validation from yet another weirdo stranger on the internet but - for my money - this is the best car that's been bought on here in a long time.  I know it's quite a personal thing, and no one person is right, but for me this is exactly what Autoshite is about.  A mainstream car from a huge manufacturer - yet to reach "cool" but vastly underrated and almost unheard of in 2019.  I'd have had my wallet out for this in a heartbeat too - so well done for snaring it.  I hope it's as enjoyable as I imagine it!  

As previously mentioned this is not only lovely but an odd spec. The lack of fake wood , fog lights, cruise etc points to a 2.8 Ghia from when the range was only GL, Ghia and Scorpio .  When the L arrived the rest of the range was up-specced slightly.

I remember using an early 2.0i Ghia auto ( C426 DMP?) and demonstrating to my Dad how ABS worked by slamming the brakes on with 2 wheels on a wet grass verge whilst bearing down on his parked Volvo F86 at about 80- he nearly shit himself.

Ive owned and driven loads of these over the years from 1.8 to 24v with many 2.0,2.4, 2.8/9 and even owned a 2.5 td Ghia saloon, I am so, so jealous.