Prick and collect - you RODney plonker

cort16

Just a thought on the rough running issue.

One of my Granada's had very old spark plugs in (higher mileage at 90k) and one of the ceramics had fractured. It caused all kinds of shenanigans including a funny tap/knock when running. The problem is I don't remember if it was the pinto or the V6 that did it.

Cold running issues I had with the Pinto unit and when I changed the thermostat the housing broke. Luckily Ford had a very good parts support then for these.

6 minutes ago, chompy_snake said:

Just a thought on the rough running issue.

One of my Granada's had very old spark plugs in (higher mileage at 90k) and one of the ceramics had fractured. It caused all kinds of shenanigans including a funny tap/knock when running. The problem is I don't remember if it was the pinto or the V6 that did it.

Cold running issues I had with the Pinto unit and when I changed the thermostat the housing broke. Luckily Ford had a very good parts support then for these.

Thanks I was going to change the plugs anyway so I'll look at that.  The oil looks fresh so it looks like its been looked after but you still can't tell if the plugs have been changed.

2 hours ago, Danterzza said:

It’s proper ace ain’t it. 

My old man had a 2.9 Ghia in gold, I was obsessed by the pump for lumbar support, telling everybody that ever travelled in it what it did. 

The most disappointing part of this car is it doesn't work. I still drove up the road parping it and making a clown car noise.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:20 PM, Semi-C said:

I believe some Ford Exploders were fitted with a 4.0 litre strain of the Cologne, I know not of their dipstick orientation.

I must be stopped now.

I can confirm Ford Exploders came with a 4 litre version of this engine, as did Rangers and some Mazda trucks.

Later ones like my 1999 build Exploder had overhead cams involving a cockamamy setup with a jackshaft in place of the camshaft driving a chain at the front of one head and the rear of another.

Also, and I feel this is about the only place I can share this where folk might care, the 4 litre Cologne was fitted to Disco 3s for export, mainly to Australia apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Discovery#Discovery_3_(2004–2009)

Do you want an Exploder engine bay shot? I won't judge you, I promise ;)

I can't actually remember where the dipstick is on mine,  it leaked so much oil for a while that I ignored a dipstick and chucked a litre in every couple of weeks...

5 hours ago, dome said:

I can confirm Ford Exploders came with a 4 litre version of this engine, as did Rangers and some Mazda trucks.

Later ones like my 1999 build Exploder had overhead cams involving a cockamamy setup with a jackshaft in place of the camshaft driving a chain at the front of one head and the rear of another.

Also, and I feel this is about the only place I can share this where folk might care, the 4 litre Cologne was fitted to Disco 3s for export, mainly to Australia apparently.

I can't actually remember where the dipstick is on mine,  it leaked so much oil for a while that I ignored a dipstick and chucked a litre in every couple of weeks...

Please, show me the money! I have never knowingly seen a 4 litre one.

There were rumours of some folk running the pushrod 4.0 version in their bangers at unlimited meetings (as well as some folk actually running 2.0 versions in their bangers at UK national 2 litre meetings)

8 hours ago, Semi-C said:

Please, show me the money! I have never knowingly seen a 4 litre one.

There were rumours of some folk running the pushrod 4.0 version in their bangers at unlimited meetings (as well as some folk actually running 2.0 versions in their bangers at UK national 2 litre meetings)

Go on then, just for you! 

IMG_20190730_180828253.thumb.jpg.f89bbffac0021b0f3dc4635932a697fd.jpgIMG_20190730_180825534.thumb.jpg.6c0b7f6a581934e15f021cf047191be6.jpg

Sorry Cort, have your thread back.

P.S. you're not the only one who's obsessed with the wee speaker joystick. I'm jealous of your working one!

9 hours ago, trigger said:

I've only just spotted this thread, it was worth the wait! That's a real hunny. I do like a nice Mk3 Granny, I often used to drive a F reg 2.9i Ghia X with the full RS bodykit for a customer and it was as quick as fook! Drunk like it too though!

There was a 4x4 Scorpio on eBay was tempted with but it had been in dry storage since 2006 after it failed it’s mot in welding .

It looked fantastic but it also look like an massive project , which I don’t have time for .

16 hours ago, dome said:

As an anorak , particularly when it comes to Ford and Land Rover, I love it when I learn something new. This 4.0 Cologne in Aussie Discos bombshell is right up there with the Anglia van doors revelation , which I also learned about on here some years  ago. Thanks.

Re those joystick balance / fader controls – my parents' A-reg Sierra Ghia had one, and I would often fade the sound to the rear speakers when waiting at the supermarket. Somehow, those little 4" chrome dustcapped paper-cone speakers had a fantastic bass response, presumably using the boot itself as a sounding chamber. Even with the four or five watts that RST-21P AM Cassette player pumped out, my '90s drum and bass compilations sounded a treat (to me, anyway). 

It did sound progressively more crap as the volume went up, though.

On 7/30/2019 at 4:33 PM, dome said:

Middle East got the 4.0 cologne Lr3 (Defender) too. They were awful things, absolutely gutless. My 2010 Explorer had the same engine, and it was unbelievably slow compared to my Pathfinder with the VQ40. 

No that’s not going to fit

BF23B206-1466-49A3-9108-4169EEB512E8.thumb.jpeg.ce3a4224a33dad70c534f80b760b308c.jpeg

I recon the shit running is a vac leak somewhere as it surges once it warms  . I might run some injector shiz through it too.

im still not sure on the vibration and there’s now a slightly alarming tingy knock when the engine is running . Should be fine , puts head back in sand.

• 2 weeks later...

First off here's a moody picture of the granada.

I've been trying to figure out what's going on with this knocking noise. I did the old big screwdriver to the ear trick around various top end bits (valve cover, injectors, water pump) and every thing sounds normal. When I go under the car I can hear the knock but when I push a broom handle against the sump it dulls the noise . What ever it is being transmitted through the sump.

I'd think if the engine itself was knocking then the broomstick to the sump wouldn't make a difference? Could it be something to do with the flywheel?

The clutch feels relatively normal but there is that vibration on acceleration.

I'm currently doing lalala I'm not listening with it as I don't want to end up dismantling the whole car to find out.

IMG_1800.thumb.jpg.db2014c630de17cc08ae7e72da2806b5.jpg

yes I agree thrown bearings wouldn't go quiet by wedging the sump or anything else for that matter,

maybe a baffle in the sump has shaken loose? what sort of damper does the engine have? often then are in the form of a harmonic rubber section of the front crank pulley, rubber bit fails and it stops the harmonic balance bit. Maybe the noise is a resonance 

On stags they have a viscous fan, when that breaks down it causes a more violent anti harmonic than then crank pulley, like it shakes the whole car and puts much fear into the owner. does yours have a viscous fan attached to the crank pulley?

If it were auto I might suggest drive plate is cracked but it isn't and also I doubt that holding the sump would make it quiet.

Maybe drain the oil and get a endoscope in through the sump plug to have alook at what is going on. Maybe there is something that has been dropped into the sump. Stag often has nuts in the sump because they drop down the front cover when working on the over head cams. Rover v8 often have smoll allen keys which are used to lift hydraulic tappets out etc

I bought a 2 litre one of these in 2006 with 12 months test for £72. From the valleys.

it were a dog with a very dodgy ticket of course, but an endearing one. You will never see anyone looking uncomfortable in one of these. Grandad, we do indeed love you.

i also had a couple of these ish engines in stuff and they both liked to loosen their inlet jubilee clips (fuck knows why, just the age of the clips I guess). This caused kangaroos and surging on both. Just had to nip them all up every service to keep them good.

How is it up there at the top of the autoshite pole? ?

47 minutes ago, richardthestag said:

yes I agree thrown bearings wouldn't go quiet by wedging the sump or anything else for that matter,

maybe a baffle in the sump has shaken loose? what sort of damper does the engine have? often then are in the form of a harmonic rubber section of the front crank pulley, rubber bit fails and it stops the harmonic balance bit. Maybe the noise is a resonance 

On stags they have a viscous fan, when that breaks down it causes a more violent anti harmonic than then crank pulley, like it shakes the whole car and puts much fear into the owner. does yours have a viscous fan attached to the crank pulley?

If it were auto I might suggest drive plate is cracked but it isn't and also I doubt that holding the sump would make it quiet.

Maybe drain the oil and get a endoscope in through the sump plug to have alook at what is going on. Maybe there is something that has been dropped into the sump. Stag often has nuts in the sump because they drop down the front cover when working on the over head cams. Rover v8 often have smoll allen keys which are used to lift hydraulic tappets out etc

The noise is a ting ting noise like you’re pinging a metal cup with your finger . I have a video of the broom stick experiment but you can’t really hear it in the video .

The car doesn’t sound 100% to me when it’s running but it’s not badly misfiring and jumping around . Of course the sump is trapped by the front subframe so you can’t easily drop the sump .

I’m another who has just caught up with this thread and wow, what a car! Under rated, understated and looking dated so ticks all the boxes.

These early ones look so much more elegant and resolved than the early Sierras did, I’d imagine some frantic re designing and attention to styling and detail of the Granada in response to early criticisms of the Sierra. I recall these were much better received at launch than the Sierra was. 

For info, my dad’s B reg Orion Ghia had a stereo  joystick and a digital clock in a pod in the roof above the rear view mirror. I think the clock had a stopwatch too. 

There's a lady locally who is in my car club who's offered one of these on the page which belonged to her dad who's died, it's been in her mother's garage for the last 10 years and is a 2.9i Scorpio with 115k, I'm going round hers at the weekend to help give her an idea on the price and what to do with it, I have a horrible feeling that I'll talk myself into buying it if it's sub £300-400! 

FB_IMG_1565710686458.thumb.jpg.ae2028021455c2a636ccb1fbfc6f59a4.jpg

FB_IMG_1565710709548.thumb.jpg.2a72e51ee3dbc58042bf2472d6583b10.jpg

FB_IMG_1565710694027.thumb.jpg.89248637e56428931c282624fd619dcf.jpg