The doom blue Passat - braking for parts

bunglebus

• bunglebus changed the title to The doom blue Passat - rockin'

Why is it some jobs escalate? All I was going to do was find out which of the injector leak off pipes was causing a whiff of diesel in the car (a regular and very easy job), but they all looked dry. However taking the engine cover off reminded me that I should actually replace the rocker cover gasket that's been weeping for years and has been "in stock" for months. But of course I dropped two of the domed washers into the depths of the undertray, and while one was visible and retrieved with a magnet on a stick, the other was nowhere to be seen. Damn it, I'll have to take the undertray off, and if I'm doing that I might as well change the wheelarch liner it attaches too (also in stock for some time) and devise a way of preventing the captive clips from falling out every single time I try and put the undertray on, and all that means I can also access the washer bottle to reseal the pump that's been leaking ever since I had the cambelt replaced!

However - on jacking the car up I found the elusive washer, which was a bit of a relief!

Here's what a 275k mile VW TDi looks like with regular 6K mile synthetic oil changes 

20230806_140500.jpg

Oh and I found the leaking pipe on startup...

• bunglebus changed the title to The doom blue Passat - braking for parts

I'd noticed my rear pads getting a little low a while back so I ordered Brembo pads and discs (discs didn't look bad but I'd just rather replace the lot for the price difference).

My mate just moved to a house with a double garage so that was ideal for keeping the rain off.

Funny how sometimes you set out to do a job and realise there's something else wrong - both sides had one very seized slider in the caliper which took a bit of getting out. Sanded and copper greased them but I've ordered a new set as the galvanising has clearly vanished off them.

They must have been causing the brakes to drag a bit as the car seems to roll much more easily now, the slightest gradient and it's away.

Last changed in March 2020 so they've not done too badly I suppose