Car happenings last few months...

xtriple

I'll post on 'the other side' about my reasons for disappearing and failed suicide attempt (I'm even a second rate self harmer!) but car news belongs here.

Due to a severe financial downturn, I had to get rid of the garage of many leaks and broken doors. It was a very overdue decision to be honest as £150 a month for a garage that was wetter than an otters pocket was stupid. I blame apathy... Anyway, the XJ-S which had been in there untouched for 5 months had the cover removed, the battery re-connected and fired up and drove home as if it had been used the day before! Once home, the battery came off, the cover went on and I once again abandoned it to its fate and weather. No interest, no money and a burning desire to stay indoors and hibernate/waste what's left of my life seemed much more important.

The Fiesta of much (indeed total) indifference was given away. That was a MASSIVE effort as no one wanted it even for free - it seems that 'fuck all' was about £50 over its value. By sheer luck, I ran into a chap whose car had died and desperately needed wheels, he took it away. I feel guilty, but it had to go.

The Merc rewarded my constant neglect and lack of care by just carrying on regardless. Sure, the ABS/BAS/ASR lights were coming on with alarming frequency (along with various 'Bong - Bong' type noises) but other than that, get in, turn key, drive,  when fuel light has been on for a week or so, put derisory amount of petrol in it (sometimes putting out the fuel light... sometimes not) and ignore. Anyway, a while back, I got the dreaded letter from the DVLA saying it needed taxing, which meant I'd had it a year, so I'd better check when the MOT was due. In about a week - fook!

I had been recommended a guy down the road (Pete - proper old under the arches type guy/place) so I went down and saw him - you have no idea of the effort it took on my part to go and talk to someone, but I did it and he took the car in, serviced it (including all 12 plugs -twinspark these bloody Mercs and the various filters I'd only replaced a few months  before) did the balljoint the car failed its MOT on all for £300! The fact that the ABS etc lights chose that period to behave was most appreciated!  In greatful appreciation of its good behaviour, I bought it a new wiper blade...

After a few more weeks I was begining to feel a tad better in myself and so went and washed it and attempted to sort out the ABS lights (the ABS etc all still worked even with warnings all over the dashboard) and so cleaned the pump which made fuck all difference so ordered yet another new brake light swtch... which is still on order as Mercedes have none in the UK or Germany! But, Googling, it appear that another cause for these bloody lights is if the battery dips below 12 volts. Guess what, since I've been using it pretty much every day and the weather is hot, battery is much happier and the ABS lights have buggered off!

Had to re-insure it as well - £190 for the year... eventually!

XJ-S. Well, the poor old girl was neglected for about 7 months in total and it was only last week that I realised the MOT was up on that as well (24th of July) so I thought I'd better show some form of willing and actually start it. Battery relocated from front room to boot, conected up and away she went as usual, used her for a couple of days and remembered what an utter delight it is to drive - just like a 70 - 80s Jag should be, all smooth and wafty with total silence but an aggresive surge if booted.  But, the lack of air con is a serious fault in this weather and a bloody great V12 up front kicking out heat like nuclear fusion does not make a chilled experience.  I duly went and had words with Pete who booked it in for this Wednesday.

To be honest, I was bricking it about the MOT: the car has been neglected for 7 months and recieved zero in the form of maintenance and other than checking the lights, wipers/washers, and the horn, I did sweet f.a. It only passed!  However, I still haven't got it back as I requested it be serviced as well and there is problems getting an oil filer for it. This really means that Pete forgot all about the service so parts have not been ordered or even thought about. It 'should' be back later today....

I shall however, be listing it on eBay or somewhere. I cant use it, fuel consumption is dire which to be fair, I could deal with as I drive so few miles, but I can't get in or out of the sod without injuring myself in deep and meaningful ways! I have to roll onto the floor to get out and when fat Chester is jumping on your balls at the same time in his desperation to go and piss n someones wall/wheels/chase a cat is really unpleasant. I shall be sad to see it go but it deserves a better owner and it deserves to get used!

There ya' go, up to date :)

Well bugger me backwards, you silly sods seem to care! Many thanks to all :) I am writing a thread on the other side that deals with the shit, but suffice it to say, however temporarily, things are better. Phoebe is still going though her legs are still a massive problem, Chester is, well, still Chester!

I have to get rid of the Jag, I can't get in or out of the sod! Shame and all that but I need to be a one car person for a while :(

2 hours ago, xtriple said:

you silly sods seem to care! 

Not seem. Actually do.

57 minutes ago, egg said:

Kettle's about to boil 

Technically the water boils, not the kettle... 

2 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Lovely to see you posting again man, you were certainly missed. 

He nicked my line. The bugger nicked my line.

They say good things come in 3’s and so far today:

1) Buick got an MoT

2) Xtriple is back, great to see you back again we’ve all missed you. Sorry to hear the news but just know that you’re amongst friends here and if there’s anything I can do to help even if it’s just someone to vent to, my inbox is always open (stop sniggering at the back)

Any bets on what No 3 will be? I’m buying a Euromillions ticket tonight on the off-chance 

6 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Really good to see you are back :) you was one of the chaps I used to follow on here before I signed up.  

Really? Why? Were you near terminally bored? :)

But thank you :)