Mrs Cavs Lupo

paulscavalier

Mrs Cav has bought a Lupo locally, she wants a car for our eldest daughter. She hasn’t. Done too badly a bit of haggling and £600 and she bought this.

i haven’t had chance to properly look it over but I have noticed it has a door check strap missing, and needs a good clean inside as it smells a bit. 

B8A1DEE0-7D8A-4BC0-9ABC-2BF91153466F.jpeg

CB6FD7CF-52B9-4C4D-A010-A769915F939C.jpeg

2BF0C4DD-9B83-4846-BC28-DA690B9A571B.jpeg

2 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

Very nice, good little cars those.

Mrs Eunos drove one for quite a while, in the end went to live with @Broadsword of this parish so stayed in the fold too which is nice.

It looks quite good for its age, it just needs a good clean as it's been sitting about for a while. I will have to do a snagging list for it at the weekend. 

I love a Lupo - much better that the nasty Fox that replaced it, and even the Up to my mind. I'll be finding one of these for the current Mrs BB when she passses her test, ultimate would be a Fantasia green TDI with the open air roof. GTIs are very cool but out of our price range.

13 hours ago, paulscavalier said:

Update it bogs down in 1 because when you put it first it selects third. Second is ok, so is third. No wonder the clutch is poor. Garage reckon it needs a new gearbox. Not quite what I expected.... 

Gear selection issue can be fixed with a simple linkage alignment.

Whine in 5th means the box has been run low on gear oil and the 5th gear cluster is damaged. Top it up and keep running it until it breaks (which it unfortunately will).

1 hour ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

Gear selection issue can be fixed with a simple linkage alignment.

Whine in 5th means the box has been run low on gear oil and the 5th gear cluster is damaged. Top it up and keep running it until it breaks (which it unfortunately will).

This.  The daily Leon had this very issue which a realignment magically cured.  Shift sloppier than it was but preferable to losing two gears (fifth and first).  Quite easy to do...

The Lupos (bar the GTi and TDI) all came with the infamously fragile 085 gearbox. It's an inherenttly weak box but the real achilles heal for them is that they pretty much all leak through the selector seal, fifth is first to run dry because if its location and is often the gear that goes first. Its possible, although a little unpleasant to replace the seal without removing the gearbox, I managed it so it can't be that bad! Keeping them topped up with the correct G50 gear oil if leaking is the key to longevity.

Worth noting that unfortunately the linkages aren't adjustable in quite the same way other VAG stuff is, but replacing shifter bushes etc can eliminate much of the sloppiness and is well worth doing.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took it in for MOT and a service,  It failed. The offside rear wheel bearing had to much play in it and turned out to be knackered, the headlights were not secure on the bottom because some plastic clips underneath had gone brittle and given up. Also reported that drive shaft gaiters were perished and the rear tyres cracked