Austin 1100 - (TheShed) - Project Completion

sharley17194

Many will know this lovely car as the ex-Vulgalour, catsinthewelder and SiC. I've had my eye on it since Vulgalour took it on back in early 2017 as it was previously my car....twice before!, So i knew what i was buying before taking this car on (or Back on? not sure how this works!!!) 

So to recap it's story, here are a few threads on its past history on Autoshite:

Part I - acquisition, dailying and later start of restoration by catsinthewelder

Part IIa - first for sale thread by catsinthewelder

Part IIb - second for sale thread by catsinthewelder a few years later

Part III - acquisition and a lot of restoration by Vulgalour

Part VI -

Part V - this thread where I acquire and hopefully get it road legal again.

This is not my first proper and full restoration of a car., i've built several over the years however this will be my first attempt at documenting it correctly. It kind of makes sense, as the cars previous owners did such a cracking job at A) preserving it and B - documenting its survival! 

I have alot of projects on the go, so this will either go well or badly....i'm hoping it doesn't take too long, a couple of months maybe. But im normally wrong when it comes to timings!

•  

8 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Best of luck with it mate, it's a lovely little car and deserves to live.  Simon and Angyl have been heroes in getting it into a good place leaving you with a fairly solid shell.  Hopefully it can now stay purple ?

Thanks, they have indeed done a cracking job, im now hoping my work lives up to standard. I plan to keep it purple but im thinking of using a proper 70s purple....Black tulip.

7 hours ago, brownnova said:

Glad to see it’s story will live on here!! Best of luck!!

I feel its important the story stays and ends on here. Its almost the car that build Autoshite....

5 hours ago, sharley17194 said:

Thanks, they have indeed done a cracking job, im now hoping my work lives up to standard. I plan to keep it purple but im thinking of using a proper 70s purple....Black tulip.

I feel its important the story stays and ends on here. Its almost the car that build Autoshite....

black tulip or aconite would both be period correct- my '73 mini 1000 was aconite

8 hours ago, vulgalour said:

There can't have been much welding left to do after Si's stint with it.  It's down to what, rear arches?  Man's a hero for doing as much as he did, really, let's hope his new Triumph doesn't give him as much iron oxide to play with.

Closing panels I think. Wing bottoms some in boot floor. Rear arches. I'll re-do bottom of quarters only because I know Si build them from scratch and they are solid but have the panels attached to the arches. So doesn't make sense to cut the bottoms off then try and shape what's on the car. Couple of days welding I think. It's mainly down to my time and availability that will slow it down.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought id post an update, i had big ambitions for this car, i was hoping when i got it i had the time available to work on him. Sadly, since my F was crashed in to my time has been spent trying to sort that mess. I need to also break the F and try and recover some of my costs now the insurance has written it off.

Coupled with the challenges of finishing my mums 1100 along with IMM and then my holiday in a weeks time, i've not had much time to look at the shed. 

I'm also in the middle of a family row which is impacting both my unit and my health. I know when i took to unit out i should have kept it just for me but thought id involve family to keep the costs down was a badddd idea. 

All of this has had a massive impact on my mental state and just keeping swimming is hard work.

Finally, who ever designed the power steering pump on the KA wants a slap.....

Don't worry about it too much. It's been nearly ten years in restoration and won't hurt it if it has to wait a bit longer. Most of that time she was outside anyway!

I keep finding bits that I have forgotten to put in the car. Got an alternator bracket and closing sills that I need to get to you. My sister lives in Nottingham, so possibly drop them off when I'm up next.

2 hours ago, SiC said:

Don't worry about it too much. It's been nearly ten years in restoration and won't hurt it if it has to wait a bit longer. Most of that time she was outside anyway!

I keep finding bits that I have forgotten to put in the car. Got an alternator bracket and closing sills that I need to get to you. My sister lives in Nottingham, so possibly drop them off when I'm up next.

Its under cover and will stay under cover for the foreseeable future.

I did wonder about the closing sills, i saw they were missing from car, couldn't remember if they were included or not. If I'm down your way.....which i was last weekend lol i'll drop by and collect them.  If you can't make it up here. 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i was a little as i expected the rears to be too wide, but they fit perfectly., Just need to hack the front box out then remake the floors. 

The shed project is waiting patiently but i might paint it first....before i lose the weather, although working around a freshly painted car is some what scary! It'll only be an external repaint but im sure you shitters will find the colour pleasing to the eye. 

I have 3 cars to paint this year!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...