Anyone's shiter overheating?

DSdriver

we decided to nip down the M6 thinking it would be quiet and use the aircon to keep cool and enjoy a rain storm

the weather forecast was out , it did not rain , the air con helped , but some one decided to move 2 big earth movers down the M6 .

between them they held up the traffic , and the lead one gave up in the heat ,

vlcsnap-6834-02-02-06h33m54s100.thumb.png.2feb4a2dffc613daf10ffbdc36ea5bb0.png

vlcsnap-8120-12-12-14h08m16s754.thumb.png.e7ff3dcfb51dfe604c6ef0dec0726f22.png

who ticked the yes box for this brill idea !!

No issues to report from the 740, despite it having a 92 degree thermostat in it. It got a bit warm the other week coming up the A7 but the temp gauge never budged so it's either perfectly happy or the gauge is broken and it's about to cook the head gasket, gearbox and all occupants. 

It's probably perfectly happy though. 

1 hour ago, Bren said:

Rover Sd1 and passat b5 owners are appreciating the high temperatures drying their carpets for them.

I thought earlier if I didn't have the kids this weekend I should give the zx a proper shampoo, would be dry in 10 minutes! 

Took Mrs suttys Fathers e39 523i for MOT today and it spat its radiator out over the pit floor. Luckily the test station is a mile and a half from home. Unluckily it failed on emissions and park brake one side. Oh well. 

13 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Took Mrs suttys Fathers e39 523i for MOT today and it spat its radiator out over the pit floor. Luckily the test station is a mile and a half from home. Unluckily it failed on emissions and park brake one side. Oh well. 

Petrol BMW in failed emissions shocker.

I absolutely love it!!

However.  

The mahoosive Ford LTD wagon didn't, running on 3 at idle and 5-6 after a blip. Even so, it still tackles 4:1 hills with ease despite its loss of cylinders. Probably*

Safrane gearbox warning flashes incessantly until it clonks into 'safety mode' and then 3rd gear is generously offered as the only option. Sealed for life, my arse

Can someone remind me why we roffled the AIRCON WORKING Multipla?

The omega really needs the gearbox oil changing but i forgot. And now CBA.

When it's hot it still sometimes sticks in third. 

Now I have invested in a Bluetooth code reader OBD2 dongle, I can put my phone in its cradle and cancel the error code whilst only taking one hand off the wheel and barely taking my eyes off the road for a milli second. * I'm sure this is allowed. But MEH it's not like I'm texting. 

2.30pm, Stationary Traffic, middle lane, M25, Heathrow- 48.5 degrees. But cooled to 38 once we got moving.

Got home to Cambridge-

IMG_20190725_162012557.thumb.jpg.3799c4f5846bc7f20676ce9bc961539c.jpg

Reckon it's a little sensitive there.

I did notice the smell of tyres getting out of the car though, like that smell in a kwikfit. Never experienced that before. They were hot!

9 hours ago, Bren said:

I was 4 years old in 1976 but I can still remember the smell of the roads melting.

I still find it bizarre that this 'happens' as there are parts of the world like the USA that have far higher year-long temperatures and do not suffer from buckled rails and melting roads. 

Anyway something else that I have noticed. My last two cars (91 Corolla and 93 Charade) the fan basically never comes on. I know this isn't a fault, because it has done on phenomenally hot days when I'm stuck in traffic, and neither had ever had overheating issues. Moduhns though - I see them all in traffic fans whirring away like mad. Why is it that their passive cooling is so much worse than it used to be? I otherwise assume it's maybe just my pensioner driving style that stops the car from overheating.

3 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

I still find it bizarre that this 'happens' as there are parts of the world like the USA that have far higher year-long temperatures and do not suffer from buckled rails and melting roads. 

Anyway something else that I have noticed. My last two cars (91 Corolla and 93 Charade) the fan basically never comes on. I know this isn't a fault, because it has done on phenomenally hot days when I'm stuck in traffic, and neither had ever had overheating issues. Moduhns though - I see them all in traffic fans whirring away like mad. Why is it that their passive cooling is so much worse than it used to be? I otherwise assume it's maybe just my pensioner driving style that stops the car from overheating.

The consistency of roads isn't the same everywhere though, tar begins to melt at 40degrees but mastic asphalt can have different properties depending on need. Also very hot countries have fixed rails in concrete not sleepers I heard on the radio yesterday.

I thought I had a puncture riding home yesterday afternoon, a shuuurrr noise. But no, it was sticky tarmac.

Drove through Belgium and Germany on the hottest day since records began on Wednesday. I only saw British cars pulled up on the hard shoulder, as I flashed (ha) past on the motorway at 96 km per hour (any faster and the cooling fan sounded like I was about to take off, and the TX2 rattled like a bag of hammers) Does that say something about Britons? UK mechanics?

The roads I drove on around the west coast of the US were like Teflon! Pull out of a side junctions carefully and you often get a squeal of the tyres. But then some of the roads, like around Death Valley, had to withstand 45c+ ambient for long parts of the summer. 

2 minutes ago, Paulinprague said:

Drove through Belgium and Germany on the hottest day since records began on Wednesday. I only saw British cars pulled up on the hard shoulder, as I flashed (ha) past on the motorway at 96 km per hour (any faster and the cooling fan sounded like I was about to take off, and the TX2 rattled like a bag of hammers) Does that say something about Britons? UK mechanics?

Not mechanics as such, more lack of owners looking after their cars and keeping on top of maintenance. 

12 hours ago, New POD said:

The omega really needs the gearbox oil changing but i forgot. And now CBA.

When it's hot it still sometimes sticks in third. 

Now I have invested in a Bluetooth code reader OBD2 dongle, I can put my phone in its cradle and cancel the error code whilst only taking one hand off the wheel and barely taking my eyes off the road for a milli second. * I'm sure this is allowed. But MEH it's not like I'm texting. 

I can collect my code reader now ?

some apps will monitor the gubbins in the engine etc ... might be worth doing in case it is not / is the gear box