Halfords Advanced 150 Piece Socket & Ratchet Spanner Set £80.75

gadgetgricey

Mods, feel free to move, but did not put this in the For Sale thread as its not me selling.

Just noticed on another site that the Professional Halfords toolkit is down to £85.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-150-piece-socket-ratchet-spanner-set?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=drytinder&utm_campaign=phgreferral

You need to use code WORKSHOP15 to get the extra £10 off from above, but I think this is the lowest price its been for ages.

I think I paid £99 for mine about 5 years ago, and still going strong. Even had a couple of the ratchet extensions replaced by Halfords with no issue.

If anyone is after a set of tools, dont think you can go wrong. Actually thinking about buying a second set at this price, just to keep in the car.

Cheers

sadly pickup only it seems so that rules me out

but just feeling things out, seeing as I dont have much in the way of "big boys" toys here

exactly how under/overkill would it be for fettling/working on the invacar?

I figured i should tool up at some point :)

27 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

They're knocking these out cheap now as the range has been updated (and finally includes 6 point sockets all round and sturdier ratchets).

I'm gonna play the long game as they'll likely pop up on eBay even cheaper on Halfords store before too long.

What sets come with 6 point? Might treat myself to a new set :) 

11 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

half the kit would not be much use as the Invacar (aside from the engine) will be all imperial fasteners. best place to get stuff from (assuming you have any in that there London) is bootsales,people clearing out grandads shed etc can yield a lot of cheap decent tools.

well I imagine a lot of the spannering over time will be taking place in the engine where it is Metric :) and if im reading the description right it does include some imperial bits

it was mentioned at the gathering that shitters sell tools on all the time (sadly theres no boot sales near me AFAIK)

but due to limited space I dont really have the setup to sort out loose tools and things into draws and what have you

so im just hoping to find a decent Metric and imperial tool set in a carry case like that or such that can easily be put away when not in use

LBF: Might be worth you getting a set of something like Britool metric stuff. I've always found the spanners to be fine. You aren't going to be needing a vast range, something like a couple of 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 15mm,, 17mm and 19mm will cover most eventualities. I am unsure what the Invacar has on it but 9/16",  7/16" and 1/2" should do it. Spend a couple of quid on the Halfords ratchets though, they are good. Also a decent set of screwdrivers.  A couple of car show magnetic trays are ace as well. 

95% of the work on my MGB and 1100 have been done with a set of normal AF 1/4" sockets, set of deep AF 1/4" sockets, 1/4" ratchet handle, 1/4" extension and a set of AF spanners. 

Sockets and spanners in the size of: 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 inch

Extra tools have mostly been impact sockets and extra large sockets (1inch+) for suspension/wheel related needs. You only will need to buy them when you need to. 

Most of the above can be had as decent quality for a reasonable price from Machine Mart when they have their 20% deals on. Get a decent ratchet too. I've had cheap ones fail on me mid job and ended up getting jammed in place, causing a right mission to get it out. 

I've always been really impressed with Halfords tools.  Never been let down by them despite some SERIOUS abuse over the years.  I'd probably go for this if I didn't already have the smaller one and had just been given a lovely old combination Imperial AF/Whitworth/Metric set from the 70s.

More than happy to pick one up for you LBF if you do decide you want one and hold on to it for you until we next cross paths.

A combination set is pretty important for the Invacar given the completely random selection of fasteners that they used when constructing the thing.

thanks for the suggestions :) 

as I mentioned id like to get something in 1 big kit rather then several lose tools that may end up being a PITA to organize/keep in my limited space (although I am aware tool boxes are a thing!)

19 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

I’ve got one of these, bought a few years ago on a similar deal.   I agree that it’s excellent quality - obviously I’m not a full time pro workshop but it gets fairly ugly abuse and is still 100% mint.  There’s a reasonable selection of 6-siders in there.

oh thats good to know their robust! 6 sided sockets means less chance of things rounding off then on a 12 sided socket right?

26 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I've always been really impressed with Halfords tools.  Never been let down by them despite some SERIOUS abuse over the years.  I'd probably go for this if I didn't already have the smaller one and had just been given a lovely old combination Imperial AF/Whitworth/Metric set from the 70s.

More than happy to pick one up for you LBF if you do decide you want one and hold on to it for you until we next cross paths.

A combination set is pretty important for the Invacar given the completely random selection of fasteners that they used when constructing the thing.

ohh thanks for the offer! its very much appreciated!

given the positive reviews it has on here if you can get it for £85 as mentioned in the OP, then could you do that for me and ill paypal over the money? :) 

(if theres anything else anyone thinks I should have picked up at the same time or any last interjections do let me know :) )

I picked up a fairly good B&Q set, branded as Torq, when they were on half-price offer a coupla years back - all six-sided sockets (metric/imperial), Torx sockets, deep sockets, and ratchet spanners as well as standard combination spanners. Three wrenches with various extension bars, hex bits, that sort of thing.

All still working fine after several years of (ab)use. Having spent years working with Halfords Pro tools in, well, Halfords, the quality is definitely comparable - though the Torq sets don't come with the same lifetime warranty as Halfords' top-end stuff.

My intention is to replace any broken/rung items as and when needed with Halfords Pro/Advanced tools - but nothing's broken yet.

Definitely handy to have everything together in one case, though - even if it does weigh a ton.

Big fan of Halfords stuff. I have amassed a decent selection of 3/4 and 1/2 inch stuff from them. Metric/imperial sockets, torx and Allen bits etc.

One or two sockets and one torx bit have cracked when I've been using them beyond what you'd consider normal use - Halfords replaced them without quibble under their lifetime guarantee.

For spanners some of the Lidl ones are actually pretty good. I've a set of their chromed ratchet spanners I bought ages ago and they have survived my ham fists very well.

I've a small roller cab but to be quite honest it's overkill for the DIYer - my dad is still using the cantilever tool box he bought when he was a kid, his most commonly used tools fit inside it and it's easily slung in the boot for rescue missions. Think this but less organised and fifty years old:

cb336c2ac9375c45e5f2952e4bfd367d.jpg

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

I'll probably get flamed to buggery but I actually find these high-torque Silverline ratchets off Amazon to be very solid and dependable. I suspect they're probably made by one of the better manufacturers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-199195-Ratchet-Handle-Hi-Torque-x/dp/B00H2M1BD4 (three different sizes)

I'll probably get flamed to buggery but I actually find these high-torque Silverline ratchets off Amazon to be very solid and dependable. I suspect they're probably made by one of the better manufacturers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-199195-Ratchet-Handle-Hi-Torque-x/dp/B00H2M1BD4 (three different sizes)

I have some normal silverline spanners. They cost maybe £10 for a set covering 6mm - 19mm. Not the nicest finish but they do fine.

Same spanners as these albeit with a 6 and 7mm and in a plastic wallet thing (which disintegrated in short order)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-SP1236-Combination-Spanner-8-19/dp/B000LFRYG2/ref=asc_df_B000LFRYG2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=222086461140&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7033820583414243376&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007275&hvtargid=pla-421121071819&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

That’s a great price for such a good quality set of tools.

Ive had mine since 2013 and apart from a new case with the improved metal clips  my set still has 150 pieces and is as good as new.

The smaller sets though come with six sided sockets for some reason as I also have a couple of those that I keep in the boot of the motor.

I think back then I went through Quidco and saved myself a further fiver so bought mine for £75

CC061B33-5F86-46AF-B826-BE5E7DA53A02.png

I'm a big fan of the Professional/Advantage tools, recommend them to everyone and thought I'd buy another tool cabinet.  Saw them in the flesh and I wasn't convinced and with the trade card it was £180, so losing interest.  Total no when they wanted £99.99 to deliver a £180 box.

I really should buy this . I have this tool kit and it’s brrn excellent unfortuntly the case split when I was carrying it and I think half of them rolled down a drain or something as I have hardly anything left .