x-type jag, talk to me...

Neil clark

I'm quite sure they're both from Ford, so they'd be chain driven.

I think, regrettably, they both suffer from the same sorts of issues that plagued the Mk3 Mondeo, particularly if you go for a lower milage example.

The good news is, by 56-57, Jaguar had fixed the problem that caused the X-Type to rust from the inside out. At any rate, any car you go to look at should be inspected behind the sill covers.

Watch for rot, they rot under the sill covers like the S Types do.

The 2.0 (TDCI) is an OK engine, though Injectors are an arse on them! the 2.2 is the better engine with more power and around the same economy as the 2.0. On the 2.0, look out for split hoses around the intercooler - it causes the engine to be down on power and is A common issue. Youd be better off with the 2.2. 

Don't let people convince you 'oh thats just a Mondeo in drag' etc etc.  When it comes to a few crucial differences it can make a lot of difference.  The injectors are due to be replaced after 100K, the Ford diagnostic software wont talk to a Jag ECU so you have to take to a Fuel system or Jag indi to get em coded in.  The rear lower control arms (another common failure) are also specific to the Jag.  Mondeo ones will put the camber out.  Check for dodgy tyre wear or a brand new set of tyres on the rear - then try to look at the bushings on the lower control arms to assess the condition. 

20181221_094530.thumb.jpg.00dabcbdee3689d014daf4f0d46b5d50.jpg

Not particuarly difficult to change if the bolts come out...

20181220_125019.thumb.jpg.57d8a19993e3cd88e7cf11057d1b11ce.jpg

The 2.0 is ok but not especially reliable in old age. Problems are...

Turbo Actuators can bake themselves when on overboost, causing limp home mode. Can’t be replaced independently of the turbo. Also the VNT clogs up on the turbo. Make sure the actuator arm moves freely. 

Cam sensor can fail causing cutting out, check for a black sensor on these but this was mostly fixed by about 04.

Injectors can be an issue, any rough running or smoke then run away. Sometimes the injectors go ‘out of spec’ and require recoding but this is a sign the injectors are on their way out as the wear means the fall out of spec. Fuel pumps as well, pretty much a throw away job if this goes. 

Alternator drive belt tensioners can start to fail

DMF 

Plus all the other usual suspects with the Mondeo running gear, failing rear Calipers, subframe bushes etc, rear wheel bearing cassettes. 

48 minutes ago, shedenvy said:

Don't let people convince you 'oh thats just a Mondeo in drag' etc etc.  

Well it sort of is, but, afaik it's closer to a MK2 than a MK3 chassis using parts shared with the MK3 in some areas.

But essentially it IS a jaguar. However, in my experience personally, the MK3 Mondeo resists rot better 

5 minutes ago, chompy_snake said:

Well it sort of is, but, afaik it's closer to a MK2 than a MK3 chassis using parts shared with the MK3 in some areas.

But essentially it IS a jaguar. However, in my experience personally, the MK3 Mondeo resists rot better 

THe top Rot spot on the Mondy is around the top of the windscreen I have found!