It is shite but.....

Lanciaman

I need another car. Kind of back up and the in laws coming for a month and they aint getting my Outback.

I know vectras get rubbished. I know they are dull. But not a lot of choice of reasonable looking solid cheap cars up here  (Aberdeenshire). 

Anyone care to offer any positives to make me feel it's not quite so bad? Or rubbish the idea totally....open to that.

On the plus side this one is apparently a Saab engine . 2.0 turbo petrol.

$_58.JPG.jpg

...I never used to rate an Vauxhall/opel product, but im sort of converted now as my brother bought an 07 Astra 1.8 SRI there end of last year; I stumbled across it in a mates yard n messaged the pics to my brother n he said hed have it on the spot as twas cheap at the time- needed a windscreen n brake work - all 4 discs n pads; had stood in the yard for a bit; I did all the brakes on it including a fluid flush- it also needed mirrors replaced...

...we turned it round n its now a nice car to drive, as he got it low miles; big brakes on them 'as stock' n his has the sport button for extra fun - it drives real well n can handle when pushed hard... downsides to a 'big engine' here is 'big tax - but he put 6months worth of government bear matt on the window; its got daft big 18in rims n rubberband tyres on it, I told him to change them when were getting it ready to test it - these days hes conceded they are 'horrid' is shopping for 16 or 17in saab rims at the moment...

On the downside; the paintwork isn't great; I spose this is because it was laid up - its bubbles badly n is peeling - not a huge concern as its very reliable n not hugely thirsty 'driven round the town' etc....

Vauxhall's have had a bad name in the past, particularly that generation but I think it's unjust.

I think they're really as well put together as a Ford of that generation but rust a lot less. 

Saying that the two I've bought in recent years both had engine issues ( one known one not) but even replacing those cost buttons and then no other issues afterwards, one I used as my sole car back and forth to Scotland (1998 1.2 16v Corsa b)  for 2 years with never so much as a sniff of a problem.  Electrics always seem good, interiors wear well, they always seem way more economical than they should be and love the motorway.

We had a turbo diesel version at an old place of work many years ago, after driving it for hundreds of miles I was rather glad to get back into my Mk3 Mondeo afterwards. And that’s all I can bring to this party I’m afraid. 

Vectra Cs are shit but they’re fairly dependable. Have had a couple of them over the years, one in particular was a proper dog of a 1.9 diesel estate but it just kept going. 

Gave buttons for it in part exchange and immediately (the next day) did enough miles in it for work that it paid for itself at 45p/mi 

Not as nice as a mondeo but they don't shit themselves in the same fashion as a mondeo.

The driving experience is the automotive equivalent of necrophilia - you get nothing back.

We had two - first (1.9 120) was a good car the second (3.0 diesel) is the one to avoid - not that powerful, thirsty, expensive parts, reliability issues and the fact workshops will turn you away when you tell them what engine it is.

I considered a four pot turbo however I did'nt think the performance was much to shout about.

Hope it's a good'un.

Not really looking at it for the outright performance of the engine. Just it looks clean, isn't a diesel and the turbo has to be better than the na 1.8 at getting up to speed. 

Excitement is not part of the criteria! Not going wrong every week and needing £££s spent all the time is top of the list.

I've got that engine in a Saab 93, it's a good engine. Low revs at motorway speeds so surprising mpgs on a run and it seems tough enough. If you keep it get it remapped for smiles and German baiting. Have been told Coil packs last around 140,000 miles and then need replacing but they are no DPF or other scary diesel modern maladies lurking!

Modern Vauxhalls became shit when they started using two specific FIAT diesel engines, the 1.3 (usually found in Corsas, but also used in Astras) and the 1.9 150hp engine (the 120hp wasn't quite as bad]. As far as I am aware the petrol engines are pretty good and usually based on fairly old designs (my Mums 18 plate Corsa 1.4 looks very familiar under the bonnet}].

Its not a Saab engine but a Vaux/GM/FIAT engine, the same engine is used in the Saab. My 1.9 (Remapped 150) TiD is a GM lump. 

The Saab 95 wich I have shares many of its parts with the Vectra C - infact it is just a Vectra C underneath albeit the 95 being a better car. 

Anyway, I had a Diesel one of these of which Im not sure which engine it was.... with an Autobox and it was not a bad car at all, Basic..... but not a bad motor. Fairly spacious and dependable.

1 hour ago, warch said:

Modern Vauxhalls became shit when they started using two specific FIAT diesel engines, the 1.3 (usually found in Corsas, but also used in Astras) and the 1.9 150hp engine (the 120hp wasn't quite as bad]. As far as I am aware the petrol engines are pretty good and usually based on fairly old designs (my Mums 18 plate Corsa 1.4 looks very familiar under the bonnet}].

Nothing wrong at all with the 1.9 150 Fiat engine, I have that remapped in my Saab 95. 

1 hour ago, cpjitservices said:

Nothing wrong at all with the 1.9 150 Fiat engine, I have that remapped in my Saab 95. 

I think it's more of a general malaise with modern diesels, they are prone to coking up, they have those bloody swirl flaps that are prone to sticking, and removing a completely clogged inlet manifold is a lengthy and complex process. 

I only just got rid of my Vectra c Sri 1.9 diesel (150) I had to do the swirl flaps on it when I got it, but I had it for 6 years (amazing for me!) with no issues and did a ridiculous amount of miles at high speeds on very little fuel. Kind of wish I'd kept it, but at 170k I could detect the first protests of the dmf and the boot leaked like a sieve and I could never track it down, which is annoying living in Wales.

Say what you will about Vauxhall's but the most reliable two cars I have had in my life have both been Vectra's. I think you've done well and I'd put my name down for that one when you've finished with it.

I'd have another Vectra tomorrow.

4 hours ago, cpjitservices said:

Its not a Saab engine but a Vaux/GM/FIAT engine, the same engine is used in the Saab. My 1.9 (Remapped 150) TiD is a GM lump. 

The Saab 95 wich I have shares many of its parts with the Vectra C - infact it is just a Vectra C underneath albeit the 95 being a better car. 

Anyway, I had a Diesel one of these of which Im not sure which engine it was.... with an Autobox and it was not a bad car at all, Basic..... but not a bad motor. Fairly spacious and dependable.

The 9-5 is nearly all vectra B underneath .

The new gen 9-5 is insignia 

The 2002 on 9-3 is vectra c 

15 hours ago, Lanciaman said:

I need another car. Kind of back up and the in laws coming for a month and they aint getting my Outback.

I know vectras get rubbished. I know they are dull. But not a lot of choice of reasonable looking solid cheap cars up here  (Aberdeenshire). 

Anyone care to offer any positives to make me feel it's not quite so bad? Or rubbish the idea totally....open to that.

On the plus side this one is apparently a Saab engine . 2.0 turbo petrol.

$_58.JPG.jpg

For what you want it for, and assuming it's the right price, I can't see why you wouldn't go for it.  Petrol always trumps diesel, and being a 2.0 turbo should mean it'll keep the inlaws entertained.  And lets be honest, it's practically disposable!  When you've done with it I can see it Roffling quite well.....

14 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

For what you want it for, and assuming it's the right price, I can't see why you wouldn't go for it.  Petrol always trumps diesel, and being a 2.0 turbo should mean it'll keep the inlaws entertained.  And lets be honest, it's practically disposable!  When you've done with it I can see it Roffling quite well.....

Advertised at £895. 114 k miles. No horrors on the mot history.....been on for nearly 4 weeks so either it's not  all it's cracked up to be or folk just aren't interested in an old vectra. 

Some days it feels like it is nowt but Vectras round here. Mrs JimH has a mobile skip of an estate, Sister JimH has one and for a while Old Man JimH had two. He's gone and spoilt it now by getting an Insignia. Why you want a Vectra:

1. They don't cost very much. There may well be some very good reasons why they aren't worth very much but that doesn't matter. At least you don't have to spend too much of your hard earned on them.
  2. You wouldn't be too upset if they are stolen, catch fire, are taken by aliens or requisitioned by the RAF for target practice.
  3. Those questionable types trying to sell things in service station car parks feel sorry for you and leave you alone.
  4. You don't need to waste valuable hours cleaning or servicing them.
  5. Breakdowns become a thing to be welcomed because you get to ride in a lorry instead of being in a Vectra

Seriously, they are just as shit as anything else of its type, they don't cost much to patch back together and they keep the rain off you. What more do you want? The one we have at the moment is a 1.8VVT thing which is an absolutely loathesome engine. A petrol turbot would be a much better thing.