Farkin Kia's and Facebook marketplace.

Barry Cade

My Sorento, which I really really liked, and needed, failed it's MOT catastrophically the other day- chassis above rear axle is rotted out and pretty much unrepairable- at least without a ramp, a big mig and a week off.. Raging as it had been very carefully hidden and missed on previous MOT's. Common issue on these things seemingly. Anyway the rest of it is very nice, so I'm trying to sell it for spares as the engines and 4wd running gear seem to be in demand, scrap value is £275, but I thought I'd try my luck to see if I could ease the pain a little and get a few more quids. Bought a Doblo 1.4 today as I need wheels...

This is the latest message I got on Facebook.

No did yiu have qwit much cos5 fir back end no preversly rangrovet bavk end cheep 500 so if cheeper whuts lowsr take fir yiur jeep or wood swop fkr gokd car and casg

Scrappers it is then.

P.S. Handed my notice in at the holiday park, we're on the move again...

20190713_212757.jpg

20190713_212749.jpg

Let me translate:

'I say good sir, did you manage to obtain a quotation for the work required? I have heard that the repair costs are not too prohibitively priced, around 500 British pounds. That being the case, and pardon my forward behaviour, but would one be prepared for a little bartering on the value of this fine automobile? Or indeed would one even consider a trade? I have a vehicle that may be of interest in the loveliest shade of gold, perhaps I may even offer some real gold to sweeten the deal? Many thanks for reading my message, hope to hear from you soon.'

Or something like that. 

I like Sorentos, but all the cheap ones seem to have the same back end rot - the shock mounts seem to snap off, I even saw one where one of the trailing arms had come adrift and the rear axle was sitting at a jaunty angle.  Apparently there was a time when Kia were carrying out repairs as a good will gesture, but they probably wouldn't entertain it on a 15 year old car...

The recall ended in April this year...... It is a common problem with the trailing arm brackets, usually the axle ones, but mine is the chassis tube on the other end, and a real shame because otherwise I really rate them, good to drive, great for towing and loads of room. I parked it up tonight ready for the scrappy to collect in the morning and its a handsome big beast too... still can't quite believe its getting fragged as it still looks and drives spot on. Bah... all modern cars are... Thanks for the offer of a ramp and MIG, but those days are gone for me I think.  I had too many years of fizzers in the ears and doing dad dancing around the workshop with hot rocks down my overalls. And, Saabnut- look forward to it!

Spotted 2 BX's when I was up your way too!

20190711_150553.jpg

20190711_150523.jpg

20190703_121226.jpg

13 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

The recall ended in April this year...... It is a common problem with the trailing arm brackets, usually the axle ones, but mine is the chassis tube on the other end, and a real shame because otherwise I really rate them, good to drive, great for towing and loads of room. I parked it up tonight ready for the scrappy to collect in the morning and its a handsome big beast too... still can't quite believe its getting fragged as it still looks and drives spot on. Bah... all modern cars are... Thanks for the offer of a ramp and MIG, but those days are gone for me I think.  I had too many years of fizzers in the ears and doing dad dancing around the workshop with hot rocks down my overalls. And, Saabnut- look forward to it!

Spotted 2 BX's when I was up your way too!

20190711_150553.jpg

20190711_150523.jpg

20190703_121226.jpg

Liked for the BXs, not the terminally rusty 4x4!

Should've bought an Exploder M9!

I have a rusty Sorento too! Had to weld the rear crossmember and inner sills before the MOT this year. My rear axle brackets are ok but the rear axle itself has rusted so it leaks oil so it will need a replacement axle at some point. The rear body mounts  look a bit crispy on mine so not sure how I am going to be able to fix them... 

Can you respond thus "I have attempted to get the internet to translate, but it's not Welsh or a form of Gailic, so i would appreciate if you could resend your message in English.  Perhaps you have a friend who might help you, or just phone me on 101.  I mean the car is for sale. If you come and look at it, I'll make you a cup of tea and we can discuss the price" 

On 7/16/2019 at 2:35 PM, Flat4 said:

The rot actually looks fixable but I'm assuming there will be plenty in the way of it, to be dismantled, before you can actually get at it to fix it?

I've spent many years welding up rusty crap, but this was a BIG job.Basically needed a tube cut out completely, which is above the axle and just behind the fuel tank and is mega heavy gauge steel, new axle tie rod brackets fabricated, welded exactly in the right place to the tube, the tube welded back into the chassis and tank etc bolted back in to more mounts. That, on top of inner sills and some on the front crossmember means it it went. A few mm out and the axle would be skew whiff and the thing would crab up the road, probably killing the Auto 4wd system.

This You Tube vid explains ...