W-Reg Skoda Fabia - how grim?

Marm Toastsmith

Sister in law is emigrating and threatening to scrap hers - it's mine for nothing if I want it. Although I'd probably offer scrap money to be nice.

I have been toying with the idea of flogging the 205 and buying something similarly small and economical, but slightly more practical - 5 doors, a hatchback, and proper seat belts in the back would all be useful. So I could quite easily talk myself into it.

How boring are they? Obviously not as fun as the 205 but are they really dull, or what? Any personality at all? Comfy at least? Reliable?

Trying to find out what engine it has etc. I know it's smallish petrol, and I think it's pretty pov spec. I suspect it's not going to be classic insurance eligible, which counts against it... but should be quite cheap to run.

It's a mundane run of the mill car and this is autoshite, you're going to get lots of encouragement to have it, I reckon go for it. Worst case is you end up roffling it if you don't like it, although I appreciate you may not have the 205 by then. Can't you use the Skoda for a couple of weeks to find out if you can live with it?

3 minutes ago, spartacus said:

It's a mundane run of the mill car and this is autoshite, you're going to get lots of encouragement to have it, I reckon go for it. Worst case is you end up roffling it if you don't like it, although I appreciate you may not have the 205 by then. Can't you use the Skoda for a couple of weeks to find out if you can live with it?

Yeah... the thing is because I'm moving house pretty soon (and 200 miles away) a surplus of cars could quickly become a logistical nightmare and a sure fire way to fall out with the neighbours immediately. On the one hand I shouldn't even be thinking about putting myself through the hassle of changing cars - but on the other I can see myself finding the Fabia useful once I've moved out of London and have more use for a runabout - at the moment I can do most stuff by bike so the 205 is just a bit of fun...

What I WILL do is drive it round the block a couple of times and see if I like it. It's taxed til the end of the month and after that it's either mine or its scrap. But I'm not going to tax and insure it unless I plan to keep it for a little while.

2 minutes ago, dome said:

It's free, why are you thinking about it. Get it!

Haha, Christ, if I followed that logic I'd be fucked. It's more the instinct to "save" the Skoda which is motivating me. Another friend pretty much offered me a free Clio last night. But that one is at least in use for the time being, so not in danger of being weighed in. I've promised to offer it a good home when they need to get shot... There's also an Audi A4 in the family that needs a home... but again, it's safe for the time being and not particularly useful to me at the moment...

Oh and my Ka is on the same drive as the Skoda and could probably be back on the road for a couple of hundred quid if I could be bothered. Practically another "free" car. Actually I miss driving it, would love another Ka, but the hassle of sorting it out is too much at the mo - I really ought to get it scrapped.

11 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Fairly soft suspension but the seats aren't very comfortable. Not fun to drive at all.

Hmmm.... That's the bloody wrong way round, innit? Would much rather have stiff suspension and comfy seats. Sounds pretty dire.

I like older VAG (well, VW) stuff, up to the sort of mid 90s. Especially 70s/80s stuff. There's a honest, solid, and individual feel to those cars. I've never been into the scene but I kind of get why it exists.

Newer VAG stuff has been a bit of a turn off - kind of faux-premium and lacking the design integrity of the older stuff. I really didn't like Mrs Marm's new Beetle - soft ride, bloated feeling, too much plastic, dodgy electronics, etc.

The utilitarian style of the Skoda/VAG stuff appeals - more like an older VW in theory, but in practice I can imagine it being the worst of both worlds. Especially based on your assessment.

I've had a fair few Fabias, and as modernish hatch backs go, I'd snap somebody's hand off if offered one free.

Still think that's the best design, and I've had the newer ones as well. 

Couple of hours after you've bought it you'll be thinking "why have I never had one of these before".

Trust me, (as Boris Johnson would say!!!).

They're OK, we have had a couple of diesels and they were frugal and not much trouble. 

Do not expect any Skoda character, it's a Polo with a different badge. 

I believe the pez engines are mostly poor - there is a 1.2 3 cylinder and a 1.4 "MPI" which is the old Skoda lump, both these are about 45-50hp and hard work. 

There is a 16v 1.4 pez engine which is probably a better bet but I don't think they sold many.

46 minutes ago, marm said:

Great! In what way?

I commuted 25k miles per year (for over 10 years) in my basic one, the next not quite basic and the VRS. Comfy, reliable, didn't stand out in a crowd. Other than routine maintenance, belts etc, the only fault was a broken wire to the hrw and a dodgy lock on the back door. 

Yes I would have one again.

20 minutes ago, EssDeeWon said:

Let me say what everyone else is thinking.....

This thread needs pics.

It's not much to look at. I'll try and get some when I go have a look at it later in the week. 

12 minutes ago, dome said:

Get it, fix it up and sell it. Then buy something you want with the proceeds?

Don't think there's all that much that needs doing. It's scruffy - dents etc - but as far as I'm aware it's been well looked after and is a reliable thing.

I loved mine, they live forever and seem to be the new 'Mongol Rally' car due to their reliability and ruggedness.

Main difference for the first ones is that anything pre-2001 will have the silly old tax rates, which are ridiculous for the diesel and possibly a little more expensive for the petrols. The 1.2 HTP is the one to go for, the 1.4 8v is just an evolution of Skoda's own ancient design. The diesel gave me 70 mpg long term. You can also get a more insurance-friendly TDI with 100 hp or something which also does away with the silly VRS body kit. They are affected by the VAG starter motor fault (noisy engagement) so watch out for that on a viewing.

5 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

I loved mine, they live forever and seem to be the new 'Mongol Rally' car due to their reliability and ruggedness.

Main difference for the first ones is that anything pre-2001 will have the silly old tax rates, which are ridiculous for the diesel and possibly a little more expensive for the petrols. The 1.2 HTP is the one to go for, the 1.4 8v is just an evolution of Skoda's own ancient design. The diesel gave me 70 mpg long term. You can also get a more insurance-friendly TDI with 100 hp or something which also does away with the silly VRS body kit. They are affected by the VAG starter motor fault (noisy engagement) so watch out for that on a viewing.

From memory I think it's the 1.4. If it was a 3 cyl I'd be keener. It's also common-as-muck-dull-as-dishwater-turn-of-the-millennium-silver. Which is a shame because they look great in those bright primary blues yellows reds they sometimes came in. This one is probably about as undesirable as it gets...

I guess it'll be OK for road tax though as either way it's sub 1500cc so in the cheaper band. Sometimes the older tax rates work out cheaper - I think my Ka (2002) is in a higher band than it would be according to the previous system based on engine size.

I'll go check it out. If I don't click with it  then maybe someone on here will want to save it.

They’re not at all as dynamically interesting as an equivalent age French thing but fairly endearing for the enduring solidity.

1.2 engine is in two different power outputs. I have a customer with a VW Fox, one with a Polo and one with a Fabia, all with these engines. They seem surprisingly torquey (heavy flywheel?) yet thrive on revs. 

8 hours ago, DaveDorson said:

friend of mine wants a car with five doors, a small petrol engine and not a lot of money to spend or run it on.

The funny thing is, that sounds almost exactly like me at the moment... I just sort of wish it was just a teeny tiny bit more interesting. A 3 cylinder engine and/or a good colour would totally swing it.

Maybe I can make do with the appeal of the slightly "patinated" bodywork. Binning the wheel trims and fitting a roof rack might just make the difference, too. It doesn't take much for a car to put a smile on my face, but there has to be something about it...

Will probably check it out tomorrow anyway!

1.4 8v is a better bet than the 1.2 - the early 1.2 engines used to have problems with burnt out valves which can be an expensive fix.  The 1.4, as previously mentioned, is basically the old Estelle engine underneath - so not powerful, not economical and occasionally does head gaskets, but very simple to fix by modern*  standards if it does go wrong.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:07 AM, Jimbob McGregor said:

They’re not at all as dynamically interesting as an equivalent age French thing but fairly endearing for the enduring solidity.

1.2 engine is in two different power outputs. I have a customer with a VW Fox, one with a Polo and one with a Fabia, all with these engines. They seem surprisingly torquey (heavy flywheel?) yet thrive on revs. 

That’s interesting, in my experience they are gutless and reluctant to rev, but that was the 12 valve one