Who else loves K11s?

Spiny Norman

So yesterday I hopped on a train and went to pick up the 405's replacement, my third K11 Micra.
I'm rubbish at collection threads and it wasn't that far away so the only 'en route' shot I have is of Stirling station as I left, heading further north to Dunblane.

I love these wee cars and I'd decided after the first two Micras if I ever spotted a really nice one for sale at a good price I'd have it, even if I wasn't particularly needing to change cars, and when I saw this one on eBay on Thursday night with a BIN of £500 I pounced on it, phoned the seller and picked it up yesterday.

It's a very late reg for a K11, I'm sure I've seen 52 plate K12s so it must be one of the very last off the line, I might do one of these VIN checker things to get a build date. Spec wise it's a 998cc Tempest with PAS, remote locking but  keep fit windows. It's also got parking sensors on the back bumper. On a Micra...

It's had two actual owners, being registered by Arnold Shark in Stirling before being sold to a little old dear who had it till she gave up driving, before being bought by the seller's missus. It's been well looked after, service history from day one, lots of bills for work done recently and it's one of the most rust free K11s I've ever seen. The arches are spotless, as is the crossmember which I assumed was a replacement when the seller showed me it, but it's the original one. The only spots of paint blistering are at the very back of one rear sill (TADTS- and it'll be getting fixed) and a wee spot round the boot lid handle.

It drives like new, with only the customary wobbly gearshift due to the missing spring to detract from the tightness of it all.

Enough waffle, time for some pics. This is it as I drove it home, I've now washed it and blasted the seats with a can of foaming goo which has improved their appearance quite  a bit, once I get time I'll do a few better ones.

IMG_20190712_115546 (Custom).jpg

DSC_0083 (Custom) (Custom).JPG

DSC_0085 (Custom) (Custom).JPG

DSC_0087 (Custom) (Custom).JPG

DSC_0094 (Custom) (Custom).JPG

DSC_0096 (Custom) (Custom).JPG

DSC_0092 (Custom) (Custom).JPG

Yup, I can't hide my love for K11's!

I actually know little about them other than when I was coming of age in the late nineties pretty much everyone bar me drove one. Despite working as heavy goods fitter at the time and being involved in the motor industry they seemed modern/dull to me then and I never paid any attention to them. My best mate sold his with over 210k on the clock, covered in 'hot rocks' and deeply neglected all round but still running ok so they're clearly pretty tough.

An anecdote I can share about them is that my MOT tester (He's a bit of a character) recently told me that he bought and sold literally hundreds of them  back in the day, failing them for rusty crossmembers, buying/welding and re-selling.

These days they look appealing, definitely would.

12 minutes ago, JoeyEunos said:

An anecdote I can share about them is that my MOT tester (He's a bit of a character) recently told me that he bought and sold literally hundreds of them  back in the day, failing them for rusty crossmembers, buying/welding and re-selling.

Good on him for giving so many another couple of years on the road. Proper ECO motoring.

Me. I love them. I own one. I've seen a 53 plate one during travels and my village contains 02 and 52 plate Micras. 54 was the first year for the K12 Micra so these are fairly late! Yours even has less rust than mine, probably because they stonechipped the sills unlike on the original models.

Apparently, a rusty crossmember on models with PAS will fail the MoT, whereas non-PAS models won't fail. Don't know how that works but still, it's a Micra, AKA win car. And you've got mudguards. And you have central locking. Very very nice. Slightly jealous.

Father Fumbler owned one from 1994. Despite ragging it at ludicrous speeds to and from work, he could never get it below 40MPG. These are really economical little cars.

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Despite ragging it at ludicrous speeds to and from work, he could never get it below 40MPG. These are really economical little cars.

Aye, I generally hovered around the mid 40s in the first two I had. This one's the coilpack motor with a couple of extra bhps, it certainly feels a tiny bit more muscular on the motorway.

People who've never owned one think they're slow, possibly due to the giffer ownership profile, but in town there's nothing faster away from the lights than a little K11.

The only thing they really don't do well is crash.

This was  my first one (bought off a mate on Facebook group) for £50. It was extremely tatty but I really wanted to see how long I could get out a £50 motor, and even spent more than double the purchase price when all  it needed was a CV joint and a tweak on the headlamp alignment for an MOT, but it was all for naught when some bozo in a Cashcow pulled out a parking space right in front of me and stopped dead to do a U-turn in the middle of the road.
I briefly tried to remember if I'd seen an ABS pump under the bonnet but the locked wheels on damp tarmac gave me the answer.

969440632_20180127_215108(Custom).thumb.jpg.9f69bb20281513a1d54bc73b3bef40fe.jpg

It had looked like this before.

micra 28-9-17 (3).jpg

Still, I'd got nearly 6 months out a car that had cost less than £200 including the MOT, and despite what looked like quite a severe bop on the nose I managed to wrestle the bonnet and slam panel into sufficient shape to knock around in it for a day or two afterwards. 

I only used it in daylight, honest....

2024119743_20180128_123548(Custom).thumb.jpg.ca8ed8040cc6f3986ea47042e8142f31.jpg

Great cars. I went from a k10 to a k11 after a few years. Mine was a 998 and fast enough. Motorway was ok. But even my 1.2 k10 now cruises much nicer in my opinion. They handle well and are very tail happy as well on standard 13inch steels and you can initiate a drift without even using the handbrake on tight roundabouts in the wet for example. A cg13 two tone would be the dream though.

I heard a story that the fireservice in my area used to (they may still do) use these for pumping water. They just run the engine flat out for hours then out it away until it's needed again.

11 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

Who doesn't like K11s?

I very nearly bought something similar but worse the other day. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113814704295

Yours looks class. One of the last ones? Wiki says produced til 2002. 

Does that mean your selling your vulva please?

I just don't get them. K10? Hell yeah. I love the slabbiness of their design, the fact they weigh so little,  and the fact they're so Japanese.  In fact I'd go so far as to say that they're the first generation of J which is bulletproof, looks good (and timeless) and the build quality is along the same lines. They don't even tend to rot much. 

K11? None of the above. 

55 minutes ago, primeradoner said:

Im sorry but I have to disagree with you. They crash really well and keep on going. If you dont believe me ask The Dreamers banger racing team.

Fair point, it drove perfectly well like that.
Hadn't biffed the steering and once I'd pulled the crash bar and slam panel back into a vaguely straight shape, jumped up and down on the bonnet and cable tied it all back together it ran fine. It did make an awful mess for what felt like a light tap though.
It was a grasstrack racer who bought it off me for £100, so I got back half what the car owed me.  I hate having to scrap a car but the end-of-life racing brigade are far easier to deal with than the general public. Lad turned up on time, stuck it on his wagon, paid me the money and I was waving him goodbye after 10 minutes.

23 hours ago, dome said:

They're good but they're no Starlet?

You may well have got a message about that if this hadn't popped up.

Anyway, there's one or two minor bits needing doing to it, a couple of mechanical jobs that might well end up being the local garage's problem since I CBA grubbing around underneath it to fit a new gear selector spring, but the type of jobs I like are the cosmetic ones so today I set about the horrible grey plastic trim and was well chuffed with the results.

Citrus degreaser for a bicycle followed by silicon spray, if anyone's curious.

DSC_0088before-vert (Custom).jpg

DSC_0094before-vert (Custom).jpg

Oooh dear, love K11s with a passion. Have 2 of them and am seriously thinking of getting for my actual self.

20190505_175058.thumb.jpg.b2d77d40f506a36964be665fbfd86b85.jpg

Ma's crashed one. It still runs and drives. Nearly taxed it just to use it to get to work and back when things got (and still are) tough. The Blue Micra is a tough old thing. It survived me and my ragging it as a yuuuffff. It survived me crashing it into a stationary car and its survived being crashed into recently by a BINI and punted into a Zafira taxi. Needs regigging and boot floor pulling back. New bumpers and a bonnet.  Have this waiting in the car.

20190406_094158.thumb.jpg.afaf2b2b24fa78da7ef9e1785b647467.jpg

Sis_Sterling's (and formally Mrs L1s) Micra Tempest. 998cc of pure fun. Trying (and failing) to negotiate using this for work commute.  Due to be going to the Isle of Wight soon. The Blue Micra was a resident on there for a bit.  Sis_Sterling doesn't actually hold a driving licence yet so Ma is using it a station and shopping car at the moment. It rarely leaves Birmingham.

Yeah, I love them.

Actually a K11 is probably the car I most want in the world right now. I've never had one. There are still absolutely loads on the road round my way, although they come up for sale less frequently than they used to,

Weirdly I actually prefer the styling of the 5 door version - it's quite unusual for that to be the case.

Had use of a K10, that was pretty great too.

What about the K12? Are they any good? They're getting to be about the same price these days and the styling has grown on me...

13 minutes ago, marm said:

Yeah, I love them.

Actually a K11 is probably the car I most want in the world right now. I've never had one. There are still absolutely loads on the road round my What about the K12? Are they any good? They're getting to be about the same price these days and the styling has grown on me...

K12s aren't that bad. They feel like a spacious Renault Clio 2 with a better, more direct driving position. But they don't feel as robust as the K11.

They have even turned my eye. But survival rates don't seem to be as good as the Micra K11s. It's strange to see some sitting on driveways with moss growing on/around them or in such a scruffy state as many seem to be these days.

Have also driven the K13. Nice car, a mixture of K12 styling and a bit of K11 robustness.

just need to read up on the K12 steering issue , to realise its a big expensive fix with new parts because the old ones are "married" to the car , ruling out the use of donor parts ..

then there is the K12 cam chain .... another expensive fix .....

and also given a big swerve by our local garage who decided to move over to rebuilding C1's and Aygo's