The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

3 minutes ago, EssDeeWon said:

About 200 quid above budget I'm afraid, but it is lovely.

There is still good stuff out there for £500 or thereabouts but you either have to aim for stuff that is comically undesirable (C5) or be quick with stuff that isn't (the Audi A6 I've now decided to sell again). 

Gumtree is usually the most depressing place in the car selling world with loads of dodgy back lot traders shifting rancid part ex's. 

eBay can actually be okay if you find something with low bidding. It still happens. 

Auto Trader is ok. But it's not really what it once was and the majority of stuff £500 and below is scrap fodder. 

1 minute ago, bramz7 said:

There is still good stuff out there for £500 or thereabouts but you either have to aim for stuff that is comically undesirable (C5) or be quick with stuff that isn't (the Audi A6 I've now decided to sell again). 

Gumtree is usually the most depressing place in the car selling world with loads of dodgy back lot traders shifting rancid part ex's. 

eBay can actually be okay if you find something with low bidding. It still happens. 

Auto Trader is ok. But it's not really what it once was and the majority of stuff £500 and below is scrap fodder. 

Comically undesirable I can cope with, but only if non-scary, so Proton / Perodua good - C5/Laguna bad. 

I've vowed that next time I'll have more of a budget to play with... honest.

13 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Eek. Last hour of an auction on ebay. I thought I was going to be the only bidder, but it seems someone else has joined the fray. I'll hold off my bid until the last second as usual, but it's definitely squeaky bum time... 

Screenshot_20190804_075037.thumb.jpg.e8c3528eb5b286c31087c1f9085001be.jpg

What car is it the lada 

Apologies as not read the entire thread, but in my opinion you don't get the bargains (and also the decent cars) on gumtree/ebay.

Join all the single make forums you fancy. Uksaabs, rover 75 forum, rover 200 forum etc etc.

You quite often get lucky with someone who has looked after the car, but just wants shot and does not want to deal with scumtree etc.

Not purchasing anything at the moment, but still browse and found the MGF that Robson purchased listed on the Rover 75 forum.

Worryingly just done the maths in my head and every car I own was purchased from forums.

3 minutes ago, EssDeeWon said:

Burnsides Cavalier?

I think it's the travel that rules that one out. 

I know, I know, but when you are at the bottom end of the market, the travel adds a considerable ££ factor to a purchase. 

I'm going to have a look at the Rover in Leigh on sea today. I have a fair few backup plans, its just unfortunate that my plans A, B and C have failed. 

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

I think it's the travel that rules that one out. 

I know, I know, but when you are at the bottom end of the market, the travel adds a considerable ££ factor to a purchase. 

I'm going to have a look at the Rover in Leigh on sea today. I have a fair few backup plans, its just unfortunate that my plans A, B and C have failed. 

Good Luck, be interesting to hear how good / bad it is in the flesh, although OC Motors have been there for years!!!

30 minutes ago, EssDeeWon said:

Good Luck, be interesting to hear how good / bad it is in the flesh, although OC Motors have been there for years!!!

It's fucked*

Struggled to start, would not stay running even with 3 attempts and a bit of coaxing/throttle. Oil filler car was suspiciously clean, I mean not even fresh oil on it. 

I gave the bloke the key back and said no, I know my Rovers, that's not good. He was a bit taken aback as he reckoned it would stay running with a bit of throttle. 

Walked away. Now getting bus back. 

*My opinion only. 

1 minute ago, EssDeeWon said:

Oh dear!!  Why do they bother for a 400 quid car, I mean ffs.

I would have offered to run you up there if I wasn't busy and out for lunch shortly.

It's cool, I'm out with the missus, going into Southend to wander round and grab some lunch. Just having a day out being a bus wanker. 

I think I'm going to have to put some more money to my budget to be honest, this sub-400 quid car shopping is dire. Either that or be more patient.

And no, I don't want a Citroën C5, no offence @bramz7, I just know I'd be fed up with it about 30 seconds after collection ?