The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

2 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

Ordered one, didn't know you could still get them!

£3.69 on ebay, might last a week at that price. I'd rather keep the original radio cassette.

To be honest, I feel bad about any modifications to this car. I really need to change the number plates as they are dying, but don't want to lose the dealer plates. Is there anywhere that does repro plates?

In other news I've ordered some 'Quicksilver II' paint to sort out the blemishes / rusty bits as it has a few...

• 2 weeks later...

I broke it. 

Driving on the M25, coming up to Dartford. Steam billowing from edges of bonnet. 4 Lane crossover into hard shoulder and engine off. Temp gauge hadn't moved. 

Opened bonnet to find a burst top hose. Cock. No tape of any description with me. 

What to do? Well, I am known as the King of bodge. I cut out the split part and stretched the pipe to reach. Had to remove some of the plastic air ducting, but it sort of worked. Emptied the washer bottle into the header tank and set off to Lakeside, fingers firmly crossed. Arrived there without the temp gauge moving. 

Now off to hunt for some hose and some water to get us back home. 

Typically I had forgotten to change the vehicle on my breakdown cover and they have a 48 hr no call out period after changing. 

Pics.. 

IMG_20190824_144840.thumb.jpg.9965da95e615e774be4ad5e0902c1af3.jpg

IMG_20190824_144800.thumb.jpg.c59d3cedabdce24056881c57bef39701.jpg

In other news:

The brake caliper issue seems to be sorted now. After receiving one wrong part and one completely seized one, I basically just greased my caliper and pushed it in and out several times and it seems fine. 

Misfire/low idle. Traced to HT leads. Number 1 is wrapped in electricians tape, so I'd bet on that being at least part of the issue. 

Oh, and rust. It appears to have had a lot of bodges. Look at what some poking has uncovered! 

IMG_20190824_100022.thumb.jpg.9fb80d5cef38597bdc862a4e41775d0a.jpg

TADTS, it's down to the trim on the arch which lets water in and then has nowhere to go.  That, combined with how close the inner and outer arches sit with lots of wiggle bits means they rot from the inside out.  Sometimes it goes into the sill, usually a rot hole appears further up the arch to let the water out before it gets that bad.  Repair panels are available sporadically, you have to look about for them, and they're not too expensive.  If you can weld, it's not even that bad a job to repair, just remember to glue the trim bit back on the arch rather than drilling a fresh hole to push it back in as was done when new.