The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

You know what? Fuck it all.

This thread was meant to be mostly a light headed review of the perils and adventures of buying & selling cars on a budget, while managing to have fun and experience a variety of cars. Instead, probably my fault, it's turned into something completely different, where everything I say is taken so seriously and I'm seen as some pathetic case who needs either pity / fatherly advice / telling off. I'm nearly 40 for goodness sake. Apart from one incident involving a modern car on tick, I've not made many really bad decisions that have affected me or my family drastically. 

Yeah, I don't have a load of money, because I tend to live day to day and don't save very well, but I'm far from the bread line. It's just sometimes when running like this, you end up with no car / a broken car right at the wrong time. Shit happens, that's part of the adventure. I'd rather do that than get a Dacia on PCP. 

On this particular occasion I actually had/have 400 quid spare from the sale of the AX, (remember I won the 306 in a roffle then swapped it) and I also have a working* car (I could and still might fix the Clio with my normal monthly car budget) , so I could have spent it on hookers and some substances. Instead I fancied buying an old Citroën. But no, Autoshite had to wade in and tell me how much of a bad idea that would be, and scare me off getting something I've wanted for ages. ? Believe it or not, the advice and experience of the AS massive is valuable, as many of you have made all these mistakes before. So I do listen of course. Hence why I didn't buy it. 

Maybe I'm not really good enough for this forum, maybe I've missed the point of Autoshite. So I'm going to shut my mouth for a while, do what I have to do but keep it to myself. I'm obviously not that welcome here. 

Mods, feel free to delete this thread now I've had my rant. 

I didn't tell you not to buy a BX. I did say you should expect to spunk large quantities of money on it once you do. If you'd wanted the car and you had the cash then you should have bought it, rather than coming on here blaming other people for your indecision/last minute nerves etc. You are, as you say, a grown man.

Good luck with whatever you do buy next.

@TheDoctor don't leave. I like reading your thread.

As a Doctor you should know that you suffer from the raging shites. A well known disease, that affects judgement and finances.

Luckily you don't have to stock pile tinned tomatoes, pasta or bog roll. But if you are like me, you do end up with a pile of mostly useless spare parts in the shed, for cars you don't own anymore and a couple of bits for cars you have never owned.

Plus I'm on my local scrappies christmas card list :)

Your money. Your life. If you want a cheap BX then hell, go get one. It might turn out to be a good un.

Buying chod, is just like gambling. Only gamble with what you can afford to lose. Which from your thread is what you do.

So at least you understand the medical issue you have and don't need intensive counselling or an intervention.

Probably works out cheaper than other hobbies, like lines of sniff and hookers and is more acceptable to the significant other half in your life (I would imagine).

And yes its riskier than a nice new - fucking horrible - motor on PCP, but it's probably cheaper in the long run.

You are a sensible bloke, who looks after his family and only indulges in chod  when finances allow.

So keep on choding/ shiteing / enjoying your life.

Shame Doc, your thread is always a good read.

You listened to the advice with good reason, a £400 bx WILL be a money pit. Not only that, the work that it needs will be very labour intensive and require lots of underneath access, you've dodged a bullet.

Take a break if you have to but please come back with more car buying tales.

So one thing I've learned about tinternets and especially forums full of grumpy men is that by and large you should ignore all advice and negativity unless you have very specifically asked for feedback on something. And even then most advice is worth the square root of fuck all because nobody else is in your shoes with your priorities, desires and skills.

Do what makes you happy and sod everyone else. Make loads of mistakes. It doesn't matter if it's the done thing or not. 

Buying selling repairing and breaking shit cars can never be anything other than a bad idea to kill time ,waste money and have a laugh. 

6 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

. Instead, probably my fault, it's turned into something completely different, where everything I say is taken so seriously and I'm seen as some pathetic case who needs either pity / fatherly advice / telling off.

I've read the thread carefully and found absolutely no evidence to support this theory.

Having said that, flouncing out swearing and slamming the door isn't going to help anyone is it? So come on, pull yourself together or else you'll be getting a 7-day Super Nintendo ban.

I shall say this.....take it as you wish....

Genuinely I have only ever offered help by way of offering to buy you a car, you pay me back etc and the odd bit of advice because I saw similarities to a 17 year old me chopping and changing and buying BMW wheel trims from an e36 for my Nissan Almera ?????? and I dont want to see someone else experience the same hardships - if you respond to that point by saying what hardships? It is only that in previous threads you have referenced only having £90 or £100 to last you the month a week or so into the month (I cant quite remember the exact figure).  This isnt supposed to sound patronising or belittling in anyway. 

Anyway, I've noticed this thread always seems to go off the rails every couple of months by way of meltdown. Take some time away from the forum, I do every once in a while.

Go and watch dads army or find some way of relaxing. I find turning spanners on a car or detailing it helps me. 

As my mum always used to say when I used to leave food on my plate there are plenty of people in the world less fortunate than you James. Think yourself lucky you have food to eat, a roof over your head and a car to get about. 

Come over to mine this weekend doc - I've got to flush the coolant on the prius and on the corolla too with this mannol coolant @Kiltox wrote about (it turned up today)

Could we knock out the jobs on the clio? I have all the tools here/ramps etc. I'll service it too for you if you want.....I offer this because it actually improves my mental health and is a great release for me!

Just dont turn up looking like this....

afb00cb5-1de1-494b-b97a-d5887be4631f-large3x4_CostcoCarlaAlvarez1.thumb.jpg.b50d7286cc275c4f0eb94245f7325415.jpg

13 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

You know what? Fuck it all.

This thread was meant to be mostly a light headed review of the perils and adventures of buying & selling cars on a budget, while managing to have fun and experience a variety of cars. Instead, probably my fault, it's turned into something completely different, where everything I say is taken so seriously and I'm seen as some pathetic case who needs either pity / fatherly advice / telling off. I'm nearly 40 for goodness sake. Apart from one incident involving a modern car on tick, I've not made many really bad decisions that have affected me or my family drastically. 

Yeah, I don't have a load of money, because I tend to live day to day and don't save very well, but I'm far from the bread line. It's just sometimes when running like this, you end up with no car / a broken car right at the wrong time. Shit happens, that's part of the adventure. I'd rather do that than get a Dacia on PCP. 

On this particular occasion I actually had/have 400 quid spare from the sale of the AX, (remember I won the 306 in a roffle then swapped it) and I also have a working* car (I could and still might fix the Clio with my normal monthly car budget) , so I could have spent it on hookers and some substances. Instead I fancied buying an old Citroën. But no, Autoshite had to wade in and tell me how much of a bad idea that would be, and scare me off getting something I've wanted for ages. ? Believe it or not, the advice and experience of the AS massive is valuable, as many of you have made all these mistakes before. So I do listen of course. Hence why I didn't buy it. 

Maybe I'm not really good enough for this forum, maybe I've missed the point of Autoshite. So I'm going to shut my mouth for a while, do what I have to do but keep it to myself. I'm obviously not that welcome here. 

Mods, feel free to delete this thread now I've had my rant. 

Don't beat yourself up. I stuck my head above the parapet with the suggestion that the Rover 800 from the abandoned Castle Gresley garage was worth a group buy/repair, only for a few bellends to reiterate the car was shit/not valuable/perfect for banger racing. I had to remind myself that they don't share the same sentiments as 99% of us on here. 

Just remember,  opinions are like arseholes. ?

Don't let the bastards grind you down. 

This is a great thread, the gents on here are far nicer than on other forums, they also are a variable font on knowledge.. 

Personally for £400 you aren't going to get a good car, especially a BX, for eggsample, if i had mentioned on here that i was going to buy a P38 with a Skint apprentices wage most would of "rightfully so" told me to hedge it!! 

For obvious reasons.. 

Everyone gets nervous, i almost shat myself driving away knowing the 2 ton box i was driving now belonged to me, and all my savings magically disappeared!! :food-smiley-015: 

Go have a cup of Tea and relax ;)

@TheDoctor I’ve followed this thread from pretty much the start and I have noticed you’re going round in an endless loop. People may make a genuinely helpful comment and one or two say something churlish or snide but either way you get all angry.

I think seeing the eBay muppet with your former AX and a regular turnover of cars have done a lot to your mental health and (as a fellow mental health sufferer) I do worry that you (and other members here in the same boat) going to do something totally stupid that isn’t flog the Clio and get another banger.

If by the time this COVID business is over, you haven’t left the forum and still have the Clio, come down here to Sussex, put the clio in my garage and I’ll help you with the cam belt and or the clutch over one weekend. If need be you can crash on the sofa. Or I could come up to you with a gazebo to work under. Maybe a handful of other shiters would chip in with the jobs? Or lend a tool or two. All done and dusted in a day then.

It will be a half decent little runaround for you, they are starting to get the “I haven’t seen one of those for years” status and should provide you with (as you put it) automotive porridge for some time until you can get yourself stable, going by the last month or so of your posts to this thread as an outsider this is something of which you are in desperate need.

Here if you want to talk.

Just caught upon this thread. Here's a thing, I've got an idea. And it might be great and it might be awful, but I have an offer for The Doctor.....

If you want a BX, I have one you can have for free. Totally gratis. Its a 92 K reg 1.6 petrol injection (rare as injection ones weren't made for long). Its been off the road a while (about 6 years), but in dry storage for 5 of those years. It will need some work and its never going to be the tidiest car in the world. It will obviously need trailering or transporting from my location in Northants as well. But being free, I am assuming means you will have some cash to spend on doing the things it needs.

Feel free to drop me a PM to discuss. If it helps, I share the same real life name as one of the recent Doctor Who actors ;-)

1 hour ago, Stinkwheel said:

Just caught upon this thread. Here's a thing, I've got an idea. And it might be great and it might be awful, but I have an offer for The Doctor.....

If you want a BX, I have one you can have for free. Totally gratis. Its a 92 K reg 1.6 petrol injection (rare as injection ones weren't made for long). Its been off the road a while (about 6 years), but in dry storage for 5 of those years. It will need some work and its never going to be the tidiest car in the world. It will obviously need trailering or transporting from my location in Northants as well. But being free, I am assuming means you will have some cash to spend on doing the things it needs.

Feel free to drop me a PM to discuss. If it helps, I share the same real life name as one of the recent Doctor Who actors ;-)

What a lovely offer, but the good doctor has left us now and won't be able to take you up on this  extraordinarily kind offer.

Stick up a classified ad and let someone grease your palm with a bit of silver/lager.

3 minutes ago, spartacus said:

I don't think he's left, he last visited 12 mins ago according to his profile, (14.50, 18-3-20).

Probably to have a crafty look to see what's being said. 

It's like when I used to argue with my Mum as a kid and "run away" from home, I'd make it to the end of the street until I got hungry and then had to go back for some tea about 20 minutes later. 

Come on TheDoctor "you're dinner's ready".