The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

4 hours ago, BeEP said:

I'm guessing the asking price for this is somewhat more than you sold it for?......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-rare-ax-11tzx-1-years-mot-only-3-left-in-uk-60-000-miles/254540533305

s-l1600.jpg

So people are flipping AX. Wow its come to that?! 

Funny old ad. Wording implies owner has had the car a long time...what a way to make money.

As Angrydick said I would do the belt. I worked years with a guy called Ray who helped us manage our projects - risk assessment was his big thing. It's stayed with me (haunted me ) - address the thing with the biggest risk first:

"I think a cambelt would be higher up my list than a clutch. It's only a little bit overdue, but the clutch will slip for a while before it actually makes it undriveable (and it's not slipping yet) but the cambelt snapping will wreck the engine. It's already snapped once".

Usee the word "stunning".......honestly? Am I really going to stand in front of it and turn to him and say, cor she really is an absolute stunner isnt she....

Pictures are terrible and taken strategically in my opinion to mask the matt bonnet so you waste your time travelling there only to be met with "it's not that bad" from the seller.....

What a con job!

He also cant spell bonnet correctly and uses the incorrect spelling of too at the end as well "original windows and numberplate to guys" .......spelling errors really really wind me up! Learn to spell properly! 

My rather generous offer of £100 was also declined ????

Bloody cars eh? 

The front and rear parts of the exhaust have decided to call it quits and go their separate ways. 

I should also have really done the track rod end by now, as it's very vibraty over 65mph on that side. 

Typically I need to pick my missus up from Kent tomorrow evening. Do I chance it?  ?

Also, I will be replacing the Clio over the next week or so, as I don't think I want to do the work it needs

Any interest in a £2.50 roffle with 5 for a tenner and a £120 BIN? 

Work needed:

Track rod end - supplied. 

Front right coil spring (a small piece has broken off, so I guess you could just cut the other to match) 

Exhaust (front section) 

Clutch - eventually, it's only high - it will probably do another 5,000 miles before it even starts slipping. 

Cambelt? Overdue from what I gather. 

3 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

I guess the exhaust clamp between front and rear sections has failed?! Bloody thing, I did the nuts with threadlock to stop it coming apart! It wasn’t in great condition though to be fair, I guess a new clamp will sort it if the front section survived its fall?

@BorniteIdentity - now’s your chance!

It hasn't fallen off, I just meant it's blowing badly. I was driving up the A130 and the volume suddenly increased and now it sounds like a tractor. Exhaust is still attached to the car.... I think. 

Probably an easy fix - either the clamp has worked loose and it needs repositioning and refitting (or replacing, preferably) or maybe it’s blowing from somewhere else that’s patchable. I welded up the down pipe when it cracked so hopefully it’s not my welds that have failed! Difficult to tell where it’s blowing without seeing it, but it’s definitely repairable. The exhaust is a lot better than some (and the back box is almost new)

11 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

It hasn't fallen off, I just meant it's blowing badly. I was driving up the A130 and the volume suddenly increased and now it sounds like a tractor. Exhaust is still attached to the car.... I think. 

You should definitely fix it or at least support it with some wire round the underside of the car to prevent the exhaust falling off until it can be fixed if you need to use it for a long run. That’s what I did - when the downpipe cracked, I used an old metal coat hanger! Drove it for a week like that until I was able to get it on the ramps and weld up the crack.

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

Also, I will be replacing the Clio over the next week or so, as I don't think I want to do the work it needs...

Kinnell!  Are you on that 'car a month' diet Doc?!! 

Got to be worth that money to someone, good luck with the sale/roffle… any cryptic clues to the identity of it's replacement?

Take it all back, worth every penny!

New message from: jpw00_44 (114)

Hi it’s not bad at all or wouldn’t of passed mot as big as 10p coin corrosion by headlight either side easy fix

Make an offer

Your previous message

Hello there,

Could you tell me how bad the rust mentioned in the MOT advisories is please?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Kinnell!  Are you on that 'car a month' diet Doc?!! 

Got to be worth that money to someone, good luck with the sale/roffle… any cryptic clues to the identity of it's replacement?

Went to see this Ford Kak, as it was cheap and local. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/251124839229460/

Running on 3 cylinders, EML on. Apparently was getting scrapped tomorrow. Looked under bonnet, one lead was arcing out, obviously causing the misfire. Probably an easy fix, but I decided to walk away. 

I also fancied a Mazda Demio, but being as Ongar is a pig to get to by public transport, plus the 'logbook isn't back yet due to cherished number change', I decided I couldn't be bothered with that too. 

Ford doesn't seem enough of a better bet to me than fixing up the Clio?  I am a bit anti-Kak though, as the weather up here just eats them alive! 

Mazda Demio would be cool as, takes me back to Gran Turismo on the old PS1!

At least you've plenty to choose from down there, I'm sure the right one will pop up shortly.