The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

Yeah well - I've had the Almera advertised on Facebook for a few weeks now, as I'm a cheap skate and it's marginally better than gumtree, and nothing. 

But a £295 car doesn't half bring out the morons and timewasters doesn't it? 

I'm sort of resigning myself to the fact the only way I'm getting another car is by saving for a while, as the Almera is basically bridge money in most people's eyes, in spite of it being MOT'd and reliable. 

I've removed the redundant back box from the exhaust - 'weight saving innit' - as it was just hanging there getting in the way. Its not loud at all, just a sort of fruity burble, you wouldn't notice unless I told you.

Still can't tell why it doesn't like accelerating under load above 4k, but I'm loath to spend any money, and to be fair, under normal driving, you don't notice. I just need to remember I can't drive like I'm 17 again. 

Other than that, nowt to report. The automotive porridge is doing exactly what it should. 

On 7/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, BorniteIdentity said:

That Wira sold for £300 in the end. I saw it twice in the space of a week and it was brilliant. I reckon that is the best VFM I’ve ever seen on a car, considering it’s history owner price etc. Unbelievable. 

Wish I'd known he'd let it go for 300,i would have reduced the Almera and snapped his hand off. 

Boring though it maybe just nurse the almera until the mot and save at the same time. I imagine youd be able to get something youd like if you put that and (worst case) bridge money from the almera together. 

I know this may sound like a daft idea but knowing roughly where you work in relation to where you live could you get hold of a second hand bike and cycle to work? That would save a little bit in fuel. Of course use the car when you have to cart kids about etc or go shopping but then saying that with shopping if online shopping is your thing I think my mrs pays an annual amount and gets a fixed delivery price with asda. We do a weekly shop.

Could hesitation with almera be maf sensor? Not worth bothering with man... 

39 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

Boring though it maybe just nurse the almera until the mot and save at the same time. I imagine youd be able to get something youd like if you put that and (worst case) bridge money from the almera together. 

I know this may sound like a daft idea but knowing roughly where you work in relation to where you live could you get hold of a second hand bike and cycle to work? That would save a little bit in fuel. Of course use the car when you have to cart kids about etc or go shopping but then saying that with shopping if online shopping is your thing I think my mrs pays an annual amount and gets a fixed delivery price with asda. We do a weekly shop.

Could hesitation with almera be maf sensor? Not worth bothering with man... 

I live on the next street to work, and Lidl is also there. car is pretty much a luxury only, and gets used to pick my son up from his mum's. If worst comes to worst I could pick him up on the bus. 

I can save, its just having the patience to do so... ?

On my Almera when I got it the maf sensor had an aftermarket/ebay special that made it drive reasonably well but not 'right' and kept the engine light off but fuel economy was down. A used genuine Bosch maf transformed it for about a tenner from the breakers.
Photo of mine vs Insignia (guy had a seizure while driving and hit me). And this was only a few months after the car was in for airbag recall.... e82a72802cff8ca470ae5573a6290c96.jpg

Somebody had promised faithfully to come and get the Almera tonight, they were driving 2 hours from Clacton to Southend, leaving at 3pm.

So at 3.30pm, I decided to check... 

Screenshot_20190730_161202_com.facebook_orca.thumb.jpg.a8585ff475464c2061b7c9035f6f2a63.jpg

Am I being cynical to call bullshit?

Facebook marketplace can be OK selling stuff, but I've lost count of the amount of times I've been let down, ghosted etc. I'm now blocking anyone who has done this, so eventually I'll have the whole of FB blocked... ?

And now the usual 'oh crap, I don't have a car' moment. 

Luckily, I don't have my boy this weekend, and have nowhere to go for the next week or so. Hopefully something will materialise... 

For those who were saying I should keep the Almera: It had started to worry me. It didn't have anything particularly wrong with it and may have gone on to provide months or years of service. But there's a reason I have very few FTPs in spite of owning many old shiters - I think have a kind of sixth sense about when a car is finished, or due to cost money. 

Of course, that is utter bollocks, and I just can't settle with any car... ?

My ebay watch list consists of the following...

1991 Saab 9000 CSI (But it's an Auto)

1995 Suzuki Vitara (Needs rear diff)

1995 Nissan Primera (Boring as porridge)

1987 Lada Riva ('ruined' ratlook one)

1995 Rover 216 Cabrio (A bit tatty)

1994 Proton Satria ('Car')

1994 Daihatsu Sportrak (Looks shiny)

1998 Nissan Micra (See comments on Primera)

Only the Lada and the Daihatsu really appeal, but i suspect both will end up above budget.