The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

5 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Can we just remember the person collecting suffers from extreme anxiety please. ?

I think Ghosty was genuinely being helpful - as he had bitter experience of a low miler, Honda engined Raver 216. 

At the end of the day you’re buying a cheap old car - to expect anything other than disaster is a mistake. That way, you’re left to be pleasantly surprised. 

As my dear old mother once said - “he who doesn’t aim doesn’t miss”. 

23 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

I remember a chap I went school with getting one of these to use as a taxi from some old chap must have done 50miles in 5 years probably only to the MOT!, was never a problem all he did was service it till local regs forced him to get an Avensis still saw it pottering around for a few years before we moved. 

Moral of the story - LEMON SQUEEZY JAPANESEY IS WHERE ITS AT

24 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Itll be fine. 

Just drive toward your house 60 miles, then stop. 

Then drive another 60 miles. 

You know it can do 60 miles so just do it in 60 mile increments. 

And don't get cocky and try doing 70. 

That's no good. Home is 67miles away, if I follow your advice I'll miss it... 

So, to sum up. 

Fred, now 93 and too poorly to drive, bought this car in 1997. It has done 104,000 miles and has always been looked after. But it is showing signs of age, and is a bit dog-eared. Everything works though, electric windows, electric sunroof etc. 

I spent the whole drive back watching the temp gauge (thanks @Ghosty) but it didn't falter. Engine feels lively and responsive. Interior is very dusty and smells a bit musty. Exterior seems clean, but does have some rust coming through. Doesn't appear to have any bumps or scrapes, it seems Fred was a decent driver. 

Very pleased with it, exactly what I was looking for. 

More updates tomorrow once I've cleaned it. 

Looks good!  I have a bit of a soft spot for these as my then girlfriend (now wife) had one when we met...  We went camping in Wales in it (is it still camping if you just pull up and sleep in the car?!!!), and it dropped to about 2mph going up a particularly steep hill... panic ensued, but it did make the summit! 

It was a 416 SLi automatic, and I remember the interminable waiting/bouncing the back up and down to try and get fuel in the bugger... apparently the longer fill pipe in the saloons is prone to airlocks?  Anyway, we found it to be a very comfortable reliable car, grown-up, and a thousand times better than the 206 we swapped it for!

Well bought and good luck with it!

6 hours ago, clayts450 said:

416GSi FTW - nice result : leather or velour ?

Also has the new style grille which came as standard on the 400s and resulted in a lot of owners of older 200s wanting the new grille too. 

The slider pins on the caliper have a habit of seizing on these - thanks, Honda....

Velour interior.