The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Didn't the Acclaim previously belong to Trigger?

Yes it did, it also belonged to me many eons ago, I bought it off eBay on 23-06-2007. I have one terrible low res photo easily accessible of me driving it around the handling circuit at Retro Show 07.

FB_IMG_1577962800649.jpg.e01e6ad340cae9a3c31ca864c3c17a4d.jpg

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

I think I have a set of original AX wheel trims somewhere

I've got someone on the Facebook group who is checking their stash, as I need a drivers side rear lense too. Will give you a should if I still need. I have a full set, just one is missing its retaining ring, and is pretty scuffed. 

10 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Well done Doc, loads of quality shite but wtf were you thinking getting that modern Mini, I hope you sacrificed it with burning 

It was a cash flow issue at the time, the idea was to get a reliable* modern on tick as I used to have a long drive to pick my son up from his mum's. I'd just had the clutch on the Golf die, so I was desperate. Why a Mini? Had to get my missus in on it, and she wanted a Mini. 

It turned out to be no more reliable than any of the shitters. Lovely to drive but always felt broken. Sent it packing after only a few months. 

Very bad idea. Many regrets. 

6 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

I watched a video the other day on YouTube on one of these detailing channels where the guy used a DA and a polishing pad at a low speed to bring the black back on the dividing sections between the glass. I forget who it was otherwise I'd paste the link in. 

The window surrounds.....you could get wet and dry and go for chrome look if you really wanted to lol! 

Autoshine? The Scottish guy?

Awesome selection of cars there Doc, well done that man!  And I for one think the AX looks much better... just looking 'cared about' makes a massive difference.  I get the odd shitty comment at shows with the Trabi, she is far from pristine, but completely solid, in perfect working order, and capable of daily use without fuss.  

Just keep on doing what you're doing, man!  ?? 

One week report - I still have it.. 

220 miles done, have yet to check fuel economy, but it feels like it doesn't use much. It just feels 'right', age-wise, comfort-wise, driving-wise. 

The only thing that feels out of place is the electric windows. I've lost count of the number of times I've gone for a window winder... 

Oddly enough @Jim Bell, it doesn't feel cramped at all, in spite of me being 6ft and 17 stone. But then I did own a Perodua previously...

Issues? Well, it smells very oily when first starting up, and also when coming to a halt after a drive. My first thought was it was burning oil, but its more like leaking oil being burned off the outside of the engine. I'll investigate at some point, but it's no major issue. Oil level still OK. Idle is a bit low, it sits and rattles like an old bus at junctions, but doesn't cut out. Hot starting has a knack to it, haven't quite perfected it yet. Suspension 'issue' is probably nothing, just how the car is, I'm used to it now.

Other than that, heater is great, driving position is comfortable, and although I have to accelerate with my toe so my foot doesn't get jammed between the pedal and the wheel hump, it is easy to drive.

Still happy with it! 

Oh, and in other news, I appear to own 1 fifth of a Citroen Visa! Don't think I can count that towards my total car tally, which is at 111 since 1999 I think, at last count. 

Oil, it might be a rocker cover as you say, but, just to warn you, TU’s have a bit of a reputation for leaking oil out at the head/block join in the corner behind the alternator. Having said that, if it isn’t too bad, they can go on for years like that.

Out of interest, a fith share in a visa? Do tell...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oil, it might be a rocker cover as you say, but, just to warn you, TU’s have a bit of a reputation for leaking oil out at the head/block join in the corner behind the alternator. Having said that, if it isn’t too bad, they can go on for years like that.

Out of interest, a fith share in a visa? Do tell...

https://autoshite.com/topic/39073-collection-thread/

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Found a local MOT garage today that seemed to be old car friendly, spoke to the chap running it, he looked at my holey inner wings and said yes it was an MOT issue, but that he'd be able to do it cheaply. 

He also mentioned he'd just bought a Citroen AX! 

IMG_20200106_122613.thumb.jpg.c6432b279f6c17972790bf3affe1df18.jpg

44 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

In case anyone hadn’t realised the forum of beige is a very dangerous place for serial car a holics (so most of us) I only sold an AX back in August - thanks to the doctors thread, I now want another one.

Do you mind matt black bonnets? ?

Kidding, honest 

Found a curious thing out today. 

Apparently if you lock it from the passenger side, then try to open from the driver's side, the key does nothing, nada, zip, just turns in the lock. 

So you have to go back round to the passenger side, unlock it, then all is well again. 

A feature or a foible? You decide... 

39 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Found a curious thing out today. 

Apparently if you lock it from the passenger side, then try to open from the driver's side, the key does nothing, nada, zip, just turns in the lock. 

So you have to go back round to the passenger side, unlock it, then all is well again. 

A feature or a foible? You decide... 

F3B50294-D5CE-4535-AC67-8D66EE268B78.thumb.jpeg.a5308ba7866354cb95ea92ae9e18d620.jpeg