The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

AX11 TZX

I have just got home with the 306 and done 87 trouble free miles this morning. I did not paint the wheels, but did visit a small car show while I was out. I chatted to a couple of people who all though it was a good looking car.

IMG_20191228_092506 broad.jpg

Good work.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

I had one of those a few years back. Great little car (until the drive shafts started making an odd noise). 

You can drive everywhere flat out, scrabbling for grip and everyone will think you are just driving normally. Great fun and amazingly light!

Its not until you look closely at the construction, you start to realize how they managed it. The rear boot lid glass is part of the total structure (no frame to speak of) and the rear parcel shelf is a piece of pleather sewn around a metal frame!

Happy 2020. Enjoy your new steed!

3 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

Are those steelies still wet in the above bumper pictures? Are you able to take a close up picture? Want to see the finish as need to sort my steelies. What spray paint are you using? 

Pound shop matt black, then sprayed pound shop lacquer over the top. 

They aren't quite finished, will take a pic once they're done and fully dry. 

Done the bumpers too, but will need another blast over. 

IMG_20191229_154132.thumb.jpg.4cf66c46f74affb69dbc11c3a0f0f317.jpg

IMG_20191229_154147.thumb.jpg.eb34c9606f22f76a4353515310cdc5ef.jpg

Also, finished the wheels. @Wingz123, you wanted to see closer. Can't say they look great, as I didn't prep them any more than a wipe over. But the combo of Poundland matt black and clear lacquer seems to work OK.

IMG_20191229_154320.thumb.jpg.daeaefc05c590a9ae4abf414954ac0bd.jpgIMG_20191229_154337.thumb.jpg.40a762d2987f50f2f9ccf67696f035fd.jpg

25 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

Looks a whole lot better than nothing given you are on the Poundland paint. Are you tempted to double up on rattle cans at next Poundland visit and blast the bonnet again too? It might even out a bit.

Yeah, that's the plan. It's remarkably good value when you figure a can from halfords is 8 quid for 500ml, and 8 quid gets you 2400ml from Poundland 

Forgot to post these pics from yesterday. 

Dominic said to me 'Don't you need to take one of those pictures with your foot on the bumper for the beige forum?' (He knows he's not allowed to say the forum name) So he took the pic for me. 

Screenshot_20191229_203156_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.04a641b08f7ca5b3ccd3babc871c93a3.jpg

Then he wanted to get in on the action. Face obscured to protect his paranoid mother. ?

IMG_20191229_204331.thumb.jpg.04524134eb0773ead4efefdc38751960.jpg

Been pottering around in the AX for the last few days, and I can happily say I think this is the car I should have had years ago. Ironically I turned a G reg one down as my first car in 1999 as I thought it would be too small for me, and bought a 1986 Polo instead. 

Love the manual choke, lack of power steering, comfortable driving position and squishy suspension. 

Although I do think one of the rear springs needs replacing as it leans a bit much on left bends, and turning into my street causes a rubbing from the right rear wheel. 

6 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Been pottering around in the AX for the last few days, and I can happily say I think this is the car I should have had years ago. Ironically I turned a G reg one down as my first car in 1999 as I thought it would be too small for me, and bought a 1986 Polo instead. 

Love the manual choke, lack of power steering, comfortable driving position and squishy suspension. 

Although I do think one of the rear springs needs replacing as it leans a bit much on left bends, and turning into my street causes a rubbing from the right rear wheel. 

My older brother had two. A very plush 1400 example and when that died a bASe 0.9 (?) that he ran for yonks. He lost on cambelt roulette; the funniest thing being someone fixed it and ran it for years. It haunted him for about a decade in our little town. 

Somehow I’ve never owned one. I’m hopeful that 2020 sees a few cars come and go so I can get my average up. Somehow I doubt I’ll touch the likes of some but we can have a good go! 

are we going for "racing stripes Yo!!" on the bonnet????

there is a blue one with alloys slowly turning green next door to my mothers...also a 55 plate grand scenic vvt thingy...both been parked up for 4 years minimum..and get the usual "I'm going to do the up" when asked!!!

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

D'oh. Figures

What does that mean? Needs a shock absorber? 

Maybe a rear arm bearing that's fuct? They seize up quite readily. Tbh a complete recon beam is 250ish and 4 bolts once you've disconnected the brakes. Certainly not the end of the world.  When stood directly behind it do you have negative camber, y0?

16 hours ago, 500tops said:

Maybe a rear arm bearing that's fuct? They seize up quite readily. Tbh a complete recon beam is 250ish and 4 bolts once you've disconnected the brakes. Certainly not the end of the world.  When stood directly behind it do you have negative camber, y0?

Not noticeably, both wheels look equal 

IMG_20191231_125835.thumb.jpg.14352d903dcc851701e66141853f6008.jpg