The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

Been for a crawl underneath this morning, finding out mostly that I'm getting too old for this shit. 

Also found the reason for the squeak, clunking and exhaust blowing all in one go. 

The centre of the exhaust should have a bracket holding it up, but is currently affixed with wire. The wire has obviously stretched, meaning there is stress on the front exhaust join (one of those sprung joints), meaning it is blowing, squeaking, and as the exhaust is sitting too low, when you accelerate, it bangs on the strengthening plate underneath. It probably wouldn't happen on a hatch/saloon, as I reckon the plate is just for the cabriolet. 

So theoretically an easy fix, but still means crawling under the car / climbing under the bonnet to sort. 

2 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

The centre of the exhaust should have a bracket holding it up, but is currently affixed with wire. 

On standard tintop 306s that is the case. Sadly though due to the Cabriolet being based on the shorter wheelbased Citroën Zx Estate floor pan, Peugeot in their infinite wisdom decided not to put a central hanger bracket on the Cabrio. Therefore the exhaust is constantly tensioned from the Cat join back to the rear silencer box with no support other than a braided strap fixed underneath the exhaust to catch it should it fail. It doesnt help that decent quality centre exhausts are in short supply for the Cabrio and that to fit a hatchback one you need to section it to fit.  

On 12/3/2019 at 9:11 AM, Braddon81 said:

I most certainly do!  It's treated like a pampered pooch ?.  Love these 306 cabs. They are far more durable than people realise.  ?

_20191203_074817.JPG

_20191203_083557.JPG

I have a massive hardon for any yellow cars, if you ever want to sell your 306 could you give me first refusal, pretty please ? 

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

306 Cab looks good in yellow, but the hard top seriously spoils the lines of the rear quarter.

It still retains a subtlety of line at the rear with the hard top on though.  The main advantage is that it totally transforms the car for winter use and sharpens up the cars rigidity considerably.  My sister is currently is using this one whilst she's over from Germany.  In common with The Doctor, coming from her Picanto out in Hamburg she's finding it a bit juicy in the fuel department - but in reality their not too bad for a 1.8 petrol. 

_20191214_132246.JPG

2 hours ago, Braddon81 said:

It still retains a subtlety of line at the rear with the hard top on though.  The main advantage is that it totally transforms the car for winter use and sharpens up the cars rigidity considerably.  My sister is currently is using this one whilst she's over from Germany.  In common with The Doctor, coming from her Picanto out in Hamburg she's finding it a bit juicy in the fuel department - but in reality their not too bad for a 1.8 petrol. 

_20191214_132246.JPG

I love the dark Blue Met, but for me lose the hard top.

Is that red leather inside?

Bit of a random one but what happened to the omghgf rover? I was watching nitrosilvia on you tube (also on retrorides with the sd1 police car)  did it become bean tins?

He's got a replacement bumper for his rover and it looks the same colour and had the chicken wire in the grills on the bumper.

Screenshot_20191214-205459.jpg.f88199864ddef2fe875cfe1dbdce5b65.jpg

1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

Bit of a random one but what happened to the omghgf rover? I was watching nitrosilvia on you tube (also on retrorides with the sd1 police car)  did it become bean tins?

He's got a replacement bumper for his rover and it looks the same colour and had the chicken wire in the grills on the bumper.

Screenshot_20191214-205459.jpg.f88199864ddef2fe875cfe1dbdce5b65.jpg

Currently in the custody of Craig Cheetham (Retro cars editor) waiting for it's turn to be given some attention. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Any hints on what the swap is? 

Are we allowed to guess?

Depends, I'd like to keep the suspense as long as possible, so don't spoil it if you know. 

In true Doctor style though, I've gone for something worse with less MOT! ?