The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

Hey, it isn't as if I don't want a Yaris. 

In fact that one looks perfect. Doom blue, a bit sad looking, no wheel trims - perfect! 

I just don't want to owe anyone anything. I still owe 75 quid to a forum member for that bloody Mazda I failed to fix. He's been very patient, letting me have a few month's grace, but I don't want to go down that route again. 

21 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Tell you what, you take the Rover, fix it, then swap me for the Yaris once it is done. ;)

Sorry dude, I've already got a Yaris. I spent all my money on a nice car that shit itself so I did the ONLY SENSIBLE OPTION IN THE EARTH WORLD and bought a Yaris. 

So I'm right for Yaris's at the moment. 

17 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Hey, it isn't as if I don't want a Yaris. .....

That's EXACTLY what someone that didn't want a Yaris would say though!

The best post to post is "yes please I would like this Yaris. I will call it Yaris Hilton and I will drive it flat out everywhere and my son will LOVE the digital dash"

Scrap the Ronda, that Yaris looks ace.

How much does a timing belt, HG and a set of bolts cost for this pile anyway?

I'd offer to keep it at ours but a) it's not that local to you and b) the garage is full of useful* things like dusty exercise bikes and broken childrens toys. The waf wouldn't let it stay on the drive as the neighbours started rustling the curtains when I had the Golf and Alfa too. If you are proper stuck give me a shout and I'll try to clear a space.

26 minutes ago, shedenvy said:

Scrap the Ronda, that Yaris looks ace.

How much does a timing belt, HG and a set of bolts cost for this pile anyway?

I'd offer to keep it at ours but a) it's not that local to you and b) the garage is full of useful* things like dusty exercise bikes and broken childrens toys. The waf wouldn't let it stay on the drive as the neighbours started rustling the curtains when I had the Golf and Alfa too. If you are proper stuck give me a shout and I'll try to clear a space.

30 quid for the HG set. Cam belt kit 50 quid. 

Will hopefully get these next month and start cracking on with it. I can only make it worse, can't I? ?

Assuming they're both in similar condition and there's no reason they can't see another MOT, I say option 2...but I've a disproportionate attraction to Protons so that's to be expected.

I'd suggest it though as bottom of the barrel Frenchies - and I've absolutely nothing against them, I'm a huge fan of PSA motors and run a bloody Xantia Activa as my daily - tend to have a not entirely undeserved reputation for electrical infidelity.  Proton is likely to be a simpler car I think.. especially if the Frenchie is modern enough to have nonsense like EGR and DPF systems to worry about.

French cars can be bloody maddening to work on too.  Especially when you need to dismantle half the damned car to remove some tiny component that needs changing.

Just going back to folks talking about PCP etc, yes it's a bit of an expensive option (less so than when I went down that road), but it offers stability.  I was paying £200 a month on my 107 back then, but I *knew* what it was every month, so it made budgeting far easier.

It was what I needed at the time, saved me a lot of stress.

Also worth noting that I remember the whole process of getting to order my own car with my own options etc in the dealer was a lot of fun.  Getting to see it going from a chassis number and then getting updates as that went through the build process and where it was and the shipping etc.  Knowing I was a car person and that it was my first new car they let me come by when the transporter arrived with it - was still the best part of a week before I could get it, but seeing my new car there with all the protective stuff stuck to it was quite something. 

If you can make the numbers stack up, don't dismiss it.  You're a car person...It's a brand new car, doesn't matter if it's a Peugeot, a Volvo or a Dacia... you'll be proud of it.

If you ever want someone to have a rant at about this nonsense don't hesitate to drop me a PM.  I've known you in passing on forums pretty much since I got involved with Ladas back in 2002...and as such even though I don't know you personally, it feels like you're one of the metaphorical regulars down at the metaphorical pub...so I feel doing something to help is important.  Having been through quite a few mental health issues myself over the years I know how important having an impartial third party you can talk to can be really useful.  If I can help there let me know.

Just sorry I'm not closer as I'd help with the spannering too if I could.

6 hours ago, Tickman said:

11 minutes so about 5 miles or so?

I think you should get a push bike each, get fit and have fun together. Problem solved and you get to fix the Rover at your leisure

I don't know why people have reacted with a laughing emoji. I do nearly 10 miles round trip every day into work on my push bike and I'm on the overweight side. Neighbour does too and I follow plenty of parents with kids attached to various parts of their bikes - rear seats, trailers, mid seats, front seats and sometimes the whole lot!

Screenshot_20190918-221939_Strava.thumb.jpg.fa553fae3030d9cd11a329d4304bae59.jpg

Hell, I wouldn't think twice about walking 5 miles either. Or spending 2 hours on a bus either if I couldn't afford to drive.

Incidentally, cycling to work saves me 90 quid a month in bus fares. And yes I take the bus if I don't cycle as it's still cheaper than driving to work. Cycling however is faster, cheaper and gets me fit. Plus it helps clear my head and keeps my mental state on the right path.

I have M.E. I walked a mile the other day and it knocked me for six. 

Also my son is 7 years old and the journey would involve riding on several busy roads. Are we really suggesting that this is a good idea? 

Couple with that the anxiety issues I have would make the whole thing an unnecessary stress and worry. 

As for spending hours on buses, my time with my son is precious, and that basically cuts an hour off our time together on a Friday.

I've never once said I can't afford to drive, or that  I'm struggling that much. It's just a minor inconvenience that I can't afford to pay out just yet to get my car fixed or replace it.

Starting to get annoyed at 'well meaning' advice that comes across as judgement on my life choices and lifestyle. 

I'm fat and unfit, have a lot of health issues but I like to witter my free money away on shit old cars and whinge about the perils of this hobby on an Internet forum. That's just who I am.

I've never once pleaded for help, or asked for a whip round to save me, so in the same respect I don't need judging. 

I'm immensely grateful for all offers of help and assistance, but there's a point when it becomes a bit too much and perhaps intrusive. I realise the irony though as I have volunteered the information on a public forum. 

Sorry if this comes across wrong, just in a bit of a ratty mood these past few days, worried about issues at work, and doubting my ability to exist as a human being. 

Think I'm going to sign off for a while - starting to get a bit too much. Pity I can't sign off from life too... ?

6 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Think I'm going to sign off for a while - starting to get a bit too much. Pity I can't sign off from life too... ?

It's horrible to see anyone thinking in these terms man.  

I hope you feel in a better frame of mind very  soon.

This is just a shite old car forum and shite old cars are just shite old cars at the end of the day. 

Apologies all, for being a grumpy pants the other day. I'd just had enough and was stressing. 

Some solutions have presented themselves, in that the Rover will be going to someone who will fix it, in a deal which sees me get a working car. There's obviously the potential of buying back the Rover as/when it is fixed. 

There's also another deal potentially formulating, that would see me with another working car as well, so I'd have two cars, thus doubling my chances of having a working one. That is how this works isn't it? Both are boring 'moderns' (1999 and 2004) so no doubt they will both be for sale or roffle once I get bored, but it should give me breathing space while I get sorted for a few months. 

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions. 

But no, I'm not getting a bloody Yaris! ???

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

Some solutions have presented themselves, in that the Rover will be going to someone who will fix it, in a deal which sees me get a working car. There's obviously the potential of buying back the Rover as/when it is fixed. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is chuffed you have a way out of being transport-less that will potentially leave you with a working Rover in due course. Hope we'll hear about the progress.