The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

25 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Does the mentioned £100 per month need to cover fuel, insurance etc too or is it spare money you’d be using to buy or fix an older car?

58FA147C-D153-446A-B750-38FC3096A6A8.thumb.png.802bb9e04d1feedecd8fc360ebff10b1.pngu

The way my credit score is, I'd struggle to get a Provident loan never mind get approved for that ?

Would love a Dacia though. 

I fucking hate Top Gear and the three wankers who presented it (with possible exception of JM), but that Africa episode where the white Beetle followed them about as a threat of 'this is the only sensible alternative'; a Dacia Sandero Access on PCP should be the Autoshite version of the Beetle.

Sensible

Affordable

Dependable

Devils advocate here but that’s £100 a month without fail for 4 years... £100 a month for several months and you’ve the equity to buy something outright. Before anyone says ‘but it’ll breakdown and cost a fortune to mend’. It needn’t. As I said a few paragraphs back buy something conventional and cheap and easy to find spares for. Buy a half decent one then look after it. Disregard the nails ‘just needing this that and the other’. As much as I like reading about someone fixing up a 1995 Rover, if I couldn’t mend them myself I wouldn’t be touching it with a barge pole for first string transport. There’s absolutely no reason why a £7-800 Astra/Focus etc couldn’t give you a few years use. Ignore the ideas about something really abstract like a 1985 Honda Jazz. It’s basic transport were looking for here without a big financial commitment. 

On 9/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, TheDoctor said:

I realise everyone despairs of me / thinks I'm stupid, but in reality, I'm just doing what everyone else on here is, just with perhaps less money and more anxiety. 

I'll shut up now and wait for the usual barrage of criticism. 

Pretty sure (and certainly hope) nobody thinks you're stupid, because you're not. I'd try not to finance anything or get a loan unless absolutely desperate, as it seems an expensive way to fix something that could be done much cheaper.

3 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

I'm watching a car on ebay that would suit your needs perfectly. If I win it you can have it and pay me back. I will deliver it to you.

It ends in 12 hrs and is a Toyota. 

I'm hoping to win the big red Mercedes roffle, but failing that, this may be an interesting option. 

Don't bid if you wouldn't want it though! 

I dont need it, I was only going to try and win it for you, this was supposed to be me offering you a lifeline... I wont bid then...?

It's not for me to be judgemental but if the Merc does eventually go wrong can you afford to fix that? My thoughts behind the small Toyota is that they dont go wrong and you can bank as much money as possible....

Be sensible buy a Toyota

It was this I had my eye on for you....who cares what you look like in it? This is between eating and not eating isn't it? Even has no hubcaps on it for you

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323912497911

Why do I feel compelled to help you? Because I've fallen on hard times before so much so I found myself living out of my car when I was 18 for the best part of a year and a half sneaking into the local gym to blag a shower with 13p to my name and I wouldn't wish that on anyone

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

At risk of sounding like I’m pissing on your chips, is a Mercedes a good idea if you are brassic? 

I'm not completely skint, just haven't got the cash right now to buy a car. 

I'm only (potentially) getting another car as a temporary solution to transport* while I fix the Rover. 

The advantage of the Merc is that it is not costing anything, hell I can get a train ticket for 8 quid. And if it dies I can sell/scrap it for more funds to put towards fixing the Rover. Win win. 

If Wingz123 gets me a 350 quid Toyota, I'm in debt to a forum member, something not good for my anxiety, and then if it dies, I'm still in debt. 

I really appreciate people trying to help, but sometimes these ideas don't take into account the entire situation. I love how this forum tries to rally round to help, it's encouraging that there are so many people who care. Please don't think I'm not grateful. 

*The journey to pick up my son is an 11 minute drive, so fuel economy isn't a big thing. It's just an awkward place to get to on public transport, 2 hour round trip.

Wingz, that is uncommonly generous.

Doc, that roller skate will last you through to sunnier times. In 3 months you are financially back to where you are now, but with working wheels. Except with options. It’s a good, generous and seemingly genuine offer, take the easy road this time.

If Wingz123 gets me a 350 quid Toyota, I'm in debt to a forum member, something not good for my anxiety, and then if it dies, I'm still in debt

I would service and make sure all good for you before giving to you. I wouldn't buy it from the seller if it was a  nail ?

5 minutes ago, scdan4 said:

Wingz, that is uncommonly generous.

Doc, that roller skate will last you through to sunnier times. In 3 months you are financially back to where you are now, but with working wheels. Except with options. It’s a good, generous and seemingly genuine offer, take the easy road this time.

It would be perfect if I wasn't going to try to save the Rover... I can't really store 2 cars for too long, landlord issues. I know it's probably not the most sensible solution, but I really want to keep the Rover. 

1 minute ago, Wingz123 said:

If Wingz123 gets me a 350 quid Toyota, I'm in debt to a forum member, something not good for my anxiety, and then if it dies, I'm still in debt

I would service and make sure all good for you before giving to you. I wouldn't buy it from the seller if it was a  nail ?

You're too good for us man. 

But good on you for being such a fine and caring human being. 

1 minute ago, TheDoctor said:

It would be perfect if I wasn't going to try to save the Rover... I can't really store 2 cars for too long, landlord issues. I know it's probably not the most sensible solution, but I really want to keep the Rover. 

But there's room for a much massiver mercedes estate?

He really doesn’t want a yaris does he.

t&t’d car can be parked on road, keep rover, fix after crimbo.

to sweeten the deal I’ll underwrite the Yaris. If it irreparably shits itself before next year I’ll have it off you for £350.

Easy, what’s not to like 

1 minute ago, Jim Bell said:

I have never known a man not want a Yaris this hard before. 

He's really leaning into not having a Yaris with his full weight. 

Tell you what, you take the Rover, fix it, then swap me for the Yaris once it is done. ;)

Just now, Jim Bell said:

But there's room for a much massiver mercedes estate?

No, but it would reduce the amount of time I am taking up two spaces in the car park and the Rover is in bits. Landlord turns a blind eye to a bit of a car overlap as long as I don't take the pee. When I had the Rover, Galaxy and Mazda at once he asked me to sort out moving them on sharpish. 

Here is my man-maths. 

Merc = £0 and potentially £120 - £300 resale. 

Yaris =£350 and potentially £120-300 resale. 

I can't afford to pull out 350 right now, and I've spoken to Wingz by pm as to why I'm declining his generous offer of fronting the purchase price. 

Of course this is all a moot point when I don't win the roffle tonight... ?

16 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

The journey to pick up my son is an 11 minute drive, so fuel economy isn't a big thing. It's just an awkward place to get to on public transport, 2 hour round trip.

11 minutes so about 5 miles or so?

I think you should get a push bike each, get fit and have fun together. Problem solved and you get to fix the Rover at your leisure