The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

3 minutes ago, SiC said:

Or 300 quid on another heap that will break itself. Or 300 quid to get a garage to fix it and you get a known working car out of it.

tenor.gif

Some of us don't just have 300 quid disposable to just pull out of our pocket. And I know it would be more like 600+ for a garage to do a HG. 

Some of us don't just have 300 quid disposable to just pull out of our pocket. And I know it would be more like 600+ for a garage to do a HG. 

Have you phoned for a quote?

You said last time you didn't have any disposable cash when the last car broke so you couldn't fix it ...and then you went out then bought this for a couple of hundred quid.

10 minutes ago, SiC said:

Have you phoned for a quote?

You said last time you didn't have any disposable cash when the last car broke so you couldn't fix it ...and then you went out then bought this for a couple of hundred quid.

I have about a hundred quid each month that goes towards cars, I need transport to collect my littlun each weekend from his mum's. 

Last time I sold a car for about 300, put 100 to it and bought this. 

So I could get a couple of hundred for this, put a hundred to it on payday and then have 300 for something else. 

Or spend that 100 trying to fix it, make it worse then get about 100 scrap, so I'd be down to 100 total to sort my car situation out. 

It's not easy at the bottom. And now our tumble dryer dying has added more stress. I guess I'm just at despair point, and the last thing I need is judgy people who don't understand. 

I fucking give up

If you're binning this and will be looking to buy another cheap shitter, that's actually reliable for running to get the nipper and whatnot, you might consider something actually and perpetually reliable this time round, like a Yaris or summat. 

Old cars are cool and fun, but if you NEED something cheap that you can rely on, you could (and have) done much worse (many times)

Just a thought man. 

1 minute ago, Fumbler said:

I have. See if you like a first generation Jazz. +1 for the Yaris too as that would be a brilliant car nonetheless.

I'm sure there's loads of them man. But if you're down in the shallow end, spending two or three hundred quid, you're probably going to get a better Yaris for the money than you would a 1st Gen Jazz. 

Just now, Jim Bell said:

If you're down in the shallow end, spending two or three hundred quid, you're probably going to get a better Yaris for the money than you would a 1st Gen Jazz. 

Oh easily. I wouldn't recommend a K11 in this price bracket because they're either shagged squared or have dissolved like a Berocca Boost.

I guess you're like me and get bored easily but I worry about the impact it's having on your mental health, and that's when it stops being fun. I've caused myself countless restless nights over cars and to be honest, it's not worth it. Just get something boring and Japanese, stick to it and come out of it a happier person. 

I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs of course. 

On the other side, if you do manage to get the gasket sorted, you have a car worth money then, or a car that you like that's been fixed. Yeah it might break again, but it might not. 

You need the car to be mobile, not for the stress it causes. 

Hey Man.

Genuinely, I'm a bit (properly) worried about you.  This is a really bad, downward spiraling, vicious circle that you're in.  The only way you're going to get a different result is by doing something different (it's the old definition of insanity innit).

I would urge you just to take deep breath and just think about what you need.  A car to transport your child around in safely and reliably.  That is it.  Money will come later, old shite can come later, but right now you just need a turn key appliance.  

As others have said, go and buy a Corolla or a Yaris and just fuck other cars off for a year.  I fully understand the whole 'Man Maths' principle here but, honestly, you're losing.  Time and time again.  Relentlessly.

You are going to spend money you haven't got again on another car; convincing yourself (and us) differently is just plain bullshit.  Deep down, you know it.

You have two choices, and only two choices in order to break this dreadful cycle of self harm.

1.  Fix the Honda.  I've said before someone will come and do it roadside for approximately £3-350.  I can vouch for the bloke.  He's the best.

2. Flog the Honda.  Use the money you don't have to fix the HGF to buy a well maintained Toyota (with provenance) and don't fucking sell it.

That's it.  There's no other choice.  You're looking for it, but you can't find it.  You can't find it because it's not there.  

Genuinely, there are a lot of people on here who are right behind you - are very fond of you and want to see you get a result.  But the two options are right there.  Good luck.

I'd vote for having the work done by a garage, when my protons head gasket went, I had a bash at doing it myself, bought a gasket set, timing belt and torque wrench and followed the Haynes manual.
I didn't get the head skimmed because I thought it might get away without it.
I made it worse...
I then had to buy another gasket set and pay a garage to do it, saying that it was only around £300 which included skimming.
I had the same garage change the gasket on my rover 216 also for around £300 2 years ago and the car is still going fine with its current owner.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I'd cut my losses and buy something with a better reputation for reliability.

Go for a Yaris or a Corolla. Even this Starlet with the great reliable 4E-FE engine is a good option.

I've gone through this arguement many a time, the one where you try reason fixing vs buying something unknown. But I think you need a reset and something simple and reliable.

And I'd just buy a Starlet or a Corolla at this point. It's something that is unlikely to go wrong and stands a fighting chance of starting every morning.

Funny story, my friend had a corolla on his farm. The early 90s one with a 4E-FE. He reversed a tractor into it and it wouldn't pass the roadworthiness test anymore. Not worth a great deal. He texted me one afternoon saying he tried to kill it, left it in a middle of a field and put a brick on the accelerator. Walked away with the engine bouncing away on the red line.

I came over expecting it to have spat a con rod out of the case or something. I was quite upset at the idea of a quality engine being wrecked by some uncaring oaf.

Nope, proved me wrong. Had emptied the quarter tank of fuel. Started perfectly after we'd filled it up again.

d2ddd2f5ccd75be15186dae44cf694b6.jpg0c01b72653c01a13c98e4eb32c951d80.jpg

I'd agree with the sentiment of others here too. Buy something from Toyota or Nissan with as little to go wrong as possible and a decent length ticket. Check the MOT history of everything before you view it too.

I've spent my entire motoring history (around 16 years) driving sub £500 cars and the most reliable have been Japanese. My gen 7 celica cost £460 and aside from brake pads, an auxilary belt + tensioner pulley and tyres gave over 30K of trouble free motoring. The Micra had a few issues that were fixed with cheap as chips scrapyard parts or new parts costing under £15 each from local motor factors. The Celica did leak water into the back, but never had any faults causing an FTP. My Mazda 6 needed loads of welding but mechanically it just worked.

The euro chod I've owned has been older and to me more interesting, but has needed no end of brake, suspesnsion, coolant flange and sensor related replacements. It's all age related maitenance really and they've pretty much all been DIYable, but they've cost more money in parts and tools.

In your position I'd be looking at Nissan Almeras/Primeras and the Toyotas already mentioned. The £100 you have to spend per month could be saved to buy an older more interesting toy at a later date. Or to build up a fund so that when your current car does break you're in a position to fix or replace it without the current stress you're under. Working on a project car every week can be rewarding. Working on your daily every week because it's broken again and you need it for work/family duties is just a massive pain in the arse.

Don't give up, just try and buy with your head rather than your heart.

Edited by drewd
Correction for clarity

What a bummer, so the water has now drastically dropped? Has the oil mayo'd?

What about throwing in some of that steal seal / K seal stuff if you are sure the HG has gone?  I have never heard of these sniff tests before but if they are conclusive (and I have been reading they are not) then that seems the cheapest fix without any real outlay.

FWIW im not entirely sure that top hose fix is helping matters either.

What a bummer, so the water has now drastically dropped? Has the oil mayo'd?
What about throwing in some of that steal seal / K seal stuff if you are sure the HG has gone?  I have never heard of these sniff tests before but if they are conclusive (and I have been reading they are not) then that seems the cheapest fix without any real outlay.
FWIW im not entirely sure that top hose fix is helping matters either.
I mean it could be worth it. However you always have the niggling thought at the back of your mind that there's a potential HGF on the horizon.

And when it's your only car and you need it for work/commuting and kids it's a bit of needless stress.

Fine when it's a second spare car for messing about with on the weekend.

2 minutes ago, Spurious said:

I mean it could be worth it. However you always have the niggling thought at the back of your mind that there's a potential HGF on the horizon.

And when it's your only car and you need it for work/commuting and kids it's a bit of needless stress.

Fine when it's a second spare car for messing about with on the weekend.

Agreed, I personally wouldn't go near the stuff in my own Rover but as a stop gap that costs only a few quid whilst the OP funds something else, it could knock on for another year or so. Not ideal but funds are the main issue here.

This is a major problem at the minute. Given your own mental health the stress cant be any bloody good. It may be worth some k seal. You say you have around £100  a month for cars. Is there not a shiter who could change the gaskets and stuff needed to fix this on a fix it now pay monthly deal. I cant fix nowt on a car, look at my vectra bonnet. Or maybe bub could let you have his avensis in a payment plan. Please feel free to tell me to sod off but just thinking out loud. 

16 minutes ago, EssDeeWon said:

Agreed, I personally wouldn't go near the stuff in my own Rover but as a stop gap that costs only a few quid whilst the OP funds something else, it could knock on for another year or so. Not ideal but funds are the main issue here.

I have done this on my KV6 ZS. However, it's not my only car.

This 2005 ZS180 has only ever owned and driven by me and, like these KV6 engine do - was losing a little coolant. The car's 14 years old, on 130k miles and I've done two timing belt changes along with water pump, thermostat housing, interconnecting pipework to the back of the water pump etc. . . . . and the bugger was still losing a small amount of coolant, as it has for most of its time on this planet.

Added this K-seal type of stuff in and, surprise surprise, appeared to do nothing. For about a month. Then the car seemed to magically fix itself after that and continues to keep its coolant and I don't think it's unreasonable to presume that the K-seal (can't remember the actual product name) has solved the problem (for now at least).

To fix this Honda engined R8 rover, it sounds like it will need open heart surgery anyway and adding some K-seal type stuff is not going to make that process any harder if it fails to solve the problem (however temporarily).

If all other potential causes short of a HGF and replacement have been eliminated, then it's got to be worth £10, hasn't it?

*I have been wrong many times