Clocked cars

Bren

Surprising how many old cars have had a haircut. Just been looking at a 2007 modeo with 138k on the clock on ebay. Funnily enough, it had 145k in 2012 according to the MOT history.

Two of the passats I looked at prior to buying ours had a considerable amount lopped off - only an online check showed it up.

5 minutes ago, Bren said:

only an online check showed it up.

Precisely.

I still find it a little bit amusing that people think they can pull this kind of crap when 30 seconds of checking online can blow them out of the water.

I suspect that 99% of people take it on face value, sure you can find out, but other than people on here, do many normal people routinely check the MOT history back to the previous decade when buying a car? Its entirely possible that the current owner has no idea that it had a haircut 7 years ago, could conceivably have been 3+ owners ago.

How much did they want for the not-138k Mondeo out of interest? if we assume it had actually done more like 230k (145k plus an average 12k a year since) how does the price compare to one with the true mileage showing?

Hi, I'm still amazed at this obsession with mileage.  I know it come from decades ago when engines would be lucky to do 80k without a rebuild.  However nowadays when engines will do 400k+  why this obsession persists I find baffling.  Nowadays it's electronic and accident damage that finish cars off, courtesy of trumpton cutting the roof off.

Colin

22 minutes ago, colnerov said:

Hi, I'm still amazed at this obsession with mileage.  I know it come from decades ago when engines would be lucky to do 80k without a rebuild.  However nowadays when engines will do 400k+  why this obsession persists I find baffling.  Nowadays it's electronic and accident damage that finish cars off, courtesy of trumpton cutting the roof off.

Colin

The engines might but diesel pumps, injectors, turbos and egr's won't. The mileage needs to be reflected in the price. The mondeo was up for £1295 - if the real mileage was showing it should be about half that.

Ive had  a few bikes with new clocks so the MOT data doesnt look right - 

You even tell buyers the clocks have been done and they want to knock shit loads off the price because "its been clocked innit".

Hagar had a new clock in 2008 ( a second hand one at that) and shortly after that MOT it fucked up and stopped - so every MOT since its read 4757KM

Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 16.22.54.png

Remember years ago, my brother gave an Audi 80 a haircut, only he got it wrong and instead of clocking it to 100,000 miles he set it at 1,000,000 miles MOT man was like what's the crack wee that motor? What d'yah mean says my bro? It's done a million miles? says the MOT man? Errrr ehhhhh, aye, some motors they Audis ken. ?

My Maxus is showing something like 920K on the clock - the milometer shat itself one year.  I did actually sit down and work out that to actually rack up that amount of miles in a year, it would have had to average just over 93mph, 24/7/365 for the whole year.

While I'm here. This is the best paid for vehicle history check I've come across. Even checks if the cars been a taxi or ever been through a salvage auction. Full check costs £9 which is, reasonable considering the extent of the history provided.

https://www.vcheck.uk/

3 hours ago, Bren said:

Surprising how many old cars have had a haircut. Just been looking at a 2007 modeo with 138k on the clock on ebay. Funnily enough, it had 145k in 2012 according to the MOT history.

Two of the passats I looked at prior to buying ours had a considerable amount lopped off - only an online check showed it up.

An 07 Mondeo is probably worth £7-800 tops, fact it’s been clocked is immaterial by now. It’s not a life partner, it’s wheels for 12-18 months. 

I think a fair few clocked cars happened before you could easily and readily access MOT records online. Also some cars (I'm looking at you Scenic II) love to kill their dash - replacement dash resets the miles to zero. 

Now you need to clock them before their first mot.

i bought a 5 series off a mate of a guy at work who was a trader . I was interested as it had done  just 80000 miles . A few months later I went to sell it and someone interested in buying noticed it had , had a LOT of owners . Good point I’d not noticed that myself so went on to the mot website and 2 years before it had 190000 miles on it. The car in no way looked or drove like a high mileage car though . Another great* buy.

My Polo (not mine really as it was a lease car through work) lost a portion of its mileage courtesy of the main dealer. It had already had its first service at 12000 miles and had probably done a couple of thousand more. It had an electrical fault in the dash and a new dashboard was fitted complete with zeroed mileage display. As it used to get serviced on mileage interval, rather than calendar, I kindly wrote the change down in the service book. Whether that was still there when the car went to auction I wonder.

I was interested so i did have a look. Fukin hell thats not even subtle!  Has he still got it???
Nah, he paid £5k for it six weeks before I ruined his day, he kicked off to fuck and threatened legal action, got £3500 back and kept the car, two months later it shat a timing chain and he got his remaining money back.

3 hours ago, fatharris said:

I ruined a friend's day once by checking out his MOT history on his recently-purchased E90 coupe.

RJ57KRE, if you're interested.

If it had had a dash change and the change was documented then it’s ok I suppose. Otherwise 130k is a big haircut. Surely seats and steering wheel, pedals would show the extra wear?

13 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

If it had had a dash change and the change was documented then it’s ok I suppose. Otherwise 130k is a big haircut. Surely seats and steering wheel, pedals would show the extra wear?

Not difficult to replace.

52 minutes ago, fatharris said:
1 hour ago, Matty said:
I was interested so i did have a look. Fukin hell thats not even subtle!  Has he still got it???

Nah, he paid £5k for it six weeks before I ruined his day, he kicked off to fuck and threatened legal action, got £3500 back and kept the car, two months later it shat a timing chain and he got his remaining money back.

A lucky boy then! ?

You do know that most clocked cars get their haircuts before the first MOT, probably..

Brake pedal rubbers cost about a tenner,  nothing else wears out on modern German cars.

Dont believe the mileage on anything unless you personally know the car and owner , even main dealer cars might have been done.

Many lease and PCP cars are clocked annually just before a service.