Any Renault 16 snoggers in?

Claphamrangie

Being slightly concerned that our home in France is bereft of schlonk, I have tracked down a suitably hanging R16 to keep the barn floor lubricated.

What do you have to look out for on these and what are walk-away issues vs just part of its 42 year-old Gallic charm issues?

thanks guys

Rust in the usual Renault place on the rear suspension mountings, as it's a seriously involved job to fix properly. Otherwise, the very early cars have hundreds of buts that are not interchangeable with later cars. Mechanical stuff is simple and easily available. They drive brilliantly even by old French car standards and di rather make you wonder why Citroen persisted so long with ultra-complex suspension when Renault achieved the same result using basic tech

2 hours ago, barrett said:

Rust in the usual Renault place on the rear suspension mountings, as it's a seriously involved job to fix properly. Otherwise, the very early cars have hundreds of buts that are not interchangeable with later cars. Mechanical stuff is simple and easily available. They drive brilliantly even by old French car standards and di rather make you wonder why Citroen persisted so long with ultra-complex suspension when Renault achieved the same result using basic tech

^ This.

They can rot, like anything 60s/70s, but as Barrett says it’s the rear suspension mounts that are the problem repair that killed off a lot of them.

Cylinder liners can detach if the car has been unused for a long time, I’ve been told.  Otherwise the engines are supposed to be fairly indestructible.

Automatics are a bit* leisurely performance-wise.

Here’s mine:

AA2CF59E-60CA-484E-AC4F-A9610306EC75.thumb.jpeg.42e8d41f263c8641621409c13a860a63.jpeg

On 7/10/2019 at 8:51 PM, Claphamrangie said:

Being slightly concerned that our home in France is bereft of schlonk, I have tracked down a suitably hanging R16 to keep the barn floor lubricated.

What do you have to look out for on these and what are walk-away issues vs just part of its 42 year-old Gallic charm issues?

thanks guys

Holiday home?  If it is you can't register the car.   Have a look at "registering vehicles in france"  Facebook page.

I'm a resident so you could register it in my name and I'll look after it ?