bunglebus

Hit and run. So angry

Someone just drove into my Passat on a roundabout and drove off. Tried to follow them but they disappeared, all on dashcam (f+r). Tried to report it to the police, but apparently no crimes happen after 5pm in a city so they were closed. Got to work tomorrow so I guess I'll have to do it online - hopefully they'll get done for failing to stop but I won't hold my breath 😡

20190710_180428.jpg

20190710_180440.jpg

Not worth going through insurance for that level of damage - some assessor would decide you need a new bumper, brackets and paint and it would write the car off - and not worth getting upset over.....even though it is.....ummm...... upsetting. 

People are pricks and it's really fecking annoying when individuals don't have the courtesy to stop and say sorry, but with a light scrape, could it be possible that they don't even know there's been contact?

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Just downloading the footage - and shit Chinese rear dashcam has fucked up, all the recordings are from Feb 🙄

check out the memory card , they go belly up and refuse to store recordings properly

It is worth being a bit upset about, the car is clearly his pride and joy and it's got knocked by some twat who drove off. Agree about not complaining as it's not worth it, sadly. If you do get the details from the dash cam I'd have though another form of 'compensation' would be best if you find out where they live.

Playing devil's advocate a bit, with that little damage they might not have even realise they'd done it.

This was done to us a few years ago.  Not worth claiming on insurance.  I don't even remember being that mad, which is weird as I really liked that car.  Gutted, but not angry

People are dicks.  What can you do?

CIMG4835.thumb.JPG.df5f78fa31a04535a717af27a206cd7e.JPG

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

check out the memory card , they go belly up and refuse to store recordings properly

This. Ive had cheap ones fuck up after a few months of re-recoding. Just spunked on a Samsung Pro one that is supposed to be guaranteed for 50,000 hours of recording data.

It’s a real pain and very annoying how some people act, but I wouldn’t be telling the insurance company about that tbh, even if you tell them you don’t want to make a claim, your ‘risk profile’ may go up - apparently just being in an accident (even if you are completely blameless) makes you a higher risk. 

Will it come out with some polish or does it need some paint? 

Sorry to hear about your experience.
I was lucky in that when someone took a chunk out of my parked Rover a while ago, at least they had the decency to leave me a note and I was able to go through their insurance who were very easy to deal with .
Didn't stop the absolute twats who insure me taking away MY no claims bonus on renewal though. 

Hopefully it'll polish out but I'm leaving it as-is for now in case I need evidence. Certainly not going though insurance for a scuff on a 21 year old Passat. Just a pisser as it's a family owned car that I look after and try and keep nice 

That bumper looks like I've accidentally scuffed up against it in my jeans, It's taken the top layer of dirt off and not much else 😃
Is your neck OK? Have you been airlifted to Holby City? How are you managing to post from beyond the grave?!

Fuck me 🙄😁 Put some t-cut on it and you'll be fine. Infact, put a bucket and sponge over it and you'll probably be delighted,

I bet I could get most of that out with my machine polisher and some compound in about 10 minutes.

I would be annoyed too but reporting it could make insurance prices ridiculous.

And don't forget, any accident should* be reported to the insurer.... It's usually in the small print.

6 hours ago, Nyphur said:

That bumper looks like I've accidentally scuffed up against it in my jeans, It's taken the top layer of dirt off and not much else 😃
Is your neck OK? Have you been airlifted to Holby City? How are you managing to post from beyond the grave?!

Fuck me 🙄😁 Put some t-cut on it and you'll be fine. Infact, put a bucket and sponge over it and you'll probably be delighted,

Not to get into an argument but it's simply not ok to damage someone's property and just drive off. The damage is minor but still annoying when I try and keep my car nice. It wouldn't have lasted this long if no-one gave a shit about it. 

I'm not trying to be a drama queen about it, if they'd stopped and said sorry I'd have probably gone home and polished it out. I'd still be annoyed but it was them driving off that's enraged me - they must have known and booted it because I tried to find them and they were just gone. 

Just glad I have dashcams, I know the reg and the car - can't hide forever.

Being angry about it is fine. But if they drove off from the bump without a care then you can bet they either don't have insurance or will deny it when asked about it. I'd put money on the fact that they will have polished away the damage on their car already. 

Sadly it's a just move on with life case. But 

Just keep an eye out and if you see it in a car park. 

This sort of thing pisses me off too. Everyone fucks up now and then and these things happen unfortunately but it’s the fact that people see it ok to do it and then not have the balls or decency to own up. Yet, ironically if someone else did it to them they’d probably be up in arms!

Ive had it a few times. One was on a mint Volvo 340 I had and done by a neighbour. He reversed out of his drive and scraped down the rear door on my car leaving the panel wrinkled and a scuff down the plastic trim. I knew it was him and how he’d done it but he wouldn’t have any of it the tosser.

Id agree with the advice above though, don’t report it or you’ll end up with a mark against your name and your insurance will go up. But, do take photos, make notes of times location what happened etc etc and definitely keep the dashcam footage. You never know, the other driver might be a cheeky twat and try claiming against you later saying you did it! If you still got the evidence you can then use it against them.

A couple of weeks back someone tried to overtake a bicycle on a narrow lane while I was coming the other way. They were well over the white lines on my side of the road and our door mirrors hit. Mine lost the glass but his was completely obliterated. We both stopped and naturally he tried blaming me! I took photos etc and then chased down the cyclist who agreed with me about what happened and gave me his details and a statement. The other guy then calmed down and we agreed to just repair our own damage outside of insurance. But, I’ve kept all the photos and the witness details just in case... people are cunts sometimes and if he ever did decide to try it on against me later I’ve got a come back.

I'll probably be able to polish the paint but the black trim may be a different matter. 

Anyway yes I'll be Punto hunting when I'm in town now.  

Thank you to everyone who had something useful/sympathetic to say.

Oh and guess what - the Punto isn't insured! I checked the tax and MOT but not that until just now. Sure the police will pull out all the stops to investigate 🙄

20190712_091100.jpg

20190712_091103.jpg

20190712_091052.jpg

It is hugely frustrating but sadly a common occurance I think. Thankfully the damage is minor and should be fixable. It is the principle of the matter but as the Punto isn't legal then any legit recourse is going to be very, very limited sadly. 

On 7/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, egg said:

My Mondeo has been kissed twice with paint transferring. It's not the damagez it's the lack of a note. 

IMG_20190228_091955.thumb.jpg.558189bb984642ff067cc6ca40c37b0d.jpg

IMG_20170519_185758.thumb.jpg.2079f546033ab4f13c27e4170106af78.jpg

What happened to British politeness?

On balance I think it's often the antagonist just not realising what they've done. I was once run over on my bike by an old lady at low speed on a roundabout (in a 405!) and she was either a very good actor or just completely failed to realise what she'd done. Didn't even look in my direction, just drove off unaware.