RDX60 Prototypes to be scrapped.

Skut

Ridiculous...aside from anything else, surely there are a plethora of owners or museums who would pay more than their scrap value to save them.

Heck... they're important enough motors that I'd be perfectly willing to put my hand in my pocket and get them somewhere safe until a permanent home could be made.

That's not an "oh if only I had space/money..." off the cuff comment either... I'm serious here.  I couldn't keep them long term, but I'd go to pretty far lengths to offer them a safe haven until a permanent good home could be found.

Utterly depressing news to be honest.

If anyone does hear of anything and I can help, let me know.  I'm not a million miles from Brum.  I don't have driveway space, but there are at least three cars worth of garden which I'd offer if needed.

54 minutes ago, Skut said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/classic/unique-mg-rover-prototypes-could-scrapped-part-longbridge-sell/

Pretty depressing if it's true but I can well believe that SAIC backed MG motors would scrap them. Their interest in the brands past always seemed entirely perfunctory.  Surely destroying these cars is mindless industrial & historical vandalism. 

TELEMMGLPICT000203161687_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq1N76_h4kJYCSBjfocyQ34Yw-ODd0sFQ9F-y6hx8_KM0.jpeg

At the end of the day, the Chinese aren't really interested in anyone's history except their own.

Let’s not get in to stereotypes here. Plenty of manufacturers will have binned prototypes, models and mules over the years. And there must be loads of British staff working there who haven’t made any effort themselves to save these.

I totally agree this is a crying shame though. There’s an interesting thread on twitter that suggested an early SD1 is among the vehicles going for scrap.

The manufacturer will have to pay VAT on the development costs if they don't scrap them. So if they've spent £50m and these things are all that's left to show for it they have few choices:

A: sell prototypes and pay £10m VAT

B: scrap prototypes and reclaim a few million quid. 

? start production of RDX.

13 hours ago, timolloyd said:

Let’s not get in to stereotypes here. Plenty of manufacturers will have binned prototypes, models and mules over the years. And there must be loads of British staff working there who haven’t made any effort themselves to save these.

I totally agree this is a crying shame though. There’s an interesting thread on twitter that suggested an early SD1 is among the vehicles going for scrap.

Well said - it's nothing to do with the owners country of origin. There's been plenty of vandalism in the UK by UK citizens - how many posts on here cite 'buy it now or I'll scrap it' ebay posts?

Have we forgotten why MG is now owned by SAIC? hint - The Gang of Four who destroyed Rover were not Chinese. LDV, now owned by SAIC, was left to rot by the British Govt. The Governments scrappage scheme. Lightbulbfan certainly mourns the wanton destruction of Invacars by the NHS. And I'm sure there are many more examples.

12 hours ago, sierraman said:

You could effectively ‘scrap’ them by issuing a COD but not physically crushing them. 

I doubt DVLA know anything about them to be able to apply this. Not so the tax man 

I realise that dozens of not hundreds of prototype vehicles are scrapped all the time as the models come and go (one of my uncles was in fact employed at a scrap yard a lot of metal from BL ended up at in the 70s).  The fact that these have survived so long though is what makes them special for me for the early ones, and the latest one I think deserves its chance in a museum just because it was from so close to the demise of Rover.

...And it's a good looking car in my opinion...kinda Rover 75 meets Tesla Model S with a hint of Vauxhall Signum (which I mean as a compliment...for all the car isn't great I think they look the business) thrown in.

Given the tragic way Rover went under, it just seems a shame for bits of history like this to be destroyed.  Wouldn't call it criminal...just a real crying shame.

14 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Who says they're off to be scrapped? surely it's just speculation at this stage. 

Hopefully your right. Maybe the social media outcry about them may convince MG to offload them to enthusiasts and get them out of their hair.  My limited experience of big companies is they don't like negative exposure on social media one bit.

On 7/9/2019 at 7:48 AM, Pete-M said:

The manufacturer will have to pay VAT on the development costs if they don't scrap them. So if they've spent £50m and these things are all that's left to show for it they have few choices:

If they have sat on the prototypes this long without incurring a VAT bill, can't they continue to do so?  If they went on loan to Gaydon instead of sitting at Longbridge, would that change the tax position?

On 7/9/2019 at 7:48 AM, Pete-M said:

The manufacturer was MG Rover, which is defunct. They would just have been lying around the complex when NAC/SAIC bought it, if they were recorded anywhere by the administrators I expect the value would have been minimal or zero. 

21 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Slight aside, but what is that? Looks like a mini NSX combined with a Barchetta. 

Early MGF prototype? Looking again, I'm assuming Metro/ Rover 100 underpinnings...

MG-PR3-02.jpg

That is indeed an MGF prototype - from around 1990 or so. 

Theres a good book on the development of the car - slightly ironically given later ‘Gang of Four’ shenanigans, it’s titled ‘Project Phoenix’!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Phoenix-Birth-Ian-Adcock/dp/0747526958?ref_=mw_olp_product_details