Stondon museum cars - where are they now?

quicksilver

47 minutes ago, Bren said:

Is that a royale next to the astra?

The background car is an Austin Sheerline (MNA 448 - on SORN, last V5 October 2016). Next to the Astra is indeed a Royale, UOY 3X. It's now SORN but had MOT until May this year so it had been on the road since leaving the museum. The AEC bus VA 5777, after a few years in open storage, has turned up at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum in Lathalmond, which has got to be the best place for such a vehicle.

8 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

I R Sad at this development 

A mate of mine bought both the Viceroy and the ex press car Hpe Volumex. You can just about see them both parked by my 406.

Standing idle in Stondon had done neither any favours whatsoever mechanically - he'd had the romantic notion of using the Viceroy to tow his historic Mg racer but despite stripping the carb down twice to get it to run properly he lost interest in it - He chucked it on ebay and a eccentric chap from Ireland came over with a flatbed and away it went. 

It was up for auction on ebay again a year or so ago. 

The Hpe suffered from similar storage related fueling woes. Body wise it wasn't horrendous - but there was quite a bit of filler hiding cosmetic rust - but it was a long term project that deserved more Tlc that he could spend time on.  It was sold on a year ago to a Lancia loving bodyshop owner. 

_20191229_194239.JPG

That confirms my suspicions about the Viceroy as I noticed it had an export marker and guessed it had gone to Ireland where Vauxhalls are a novelty. I don't remember Stondon having the Lancia though, it certainly wasn't on display in the final weeks as I'm sure I would have photographed it.

54 minutes ago, Braddon81 said:

A mate of mine bought both the Viceroy and the ex press car Hpe Volumex. You can just about see them both parked by my 406.

Standing idle in Stondon had done neither any favours whatsoever mechanically - he'd had the romantic notion of using the Viceroy to tow his historic Mg racer but despite stripping the carb down twice to get it to run properly he lost interest in it - He chucked it on ebay and a eccentric chap from Ireland came over with a flatbed and away it went. 

It was up for auction on ebay again a year or so ago. 

The Hpe suffered from similar storage related fueling woes. Body wise it wasn't horrendous - but there was quite a bit of filler hiding cosmetic rust - but it was a long term project that deserved more Tlc that he could spend time on.  It was sold on a year ago to a Lancia loving bodyshop owner. 

_20191229_194239.JPG

Exactly what happened to my rekord E2, went to Ireland then got doubled in value and put back on eBay. 

• 1 year later...

No picture of the actual car (and I can't find one from when it was in the museum - @trigger do you have one?) but the ex-Stondon Alpine is on ebay. I seem to remember this one had a smashed headlamp with a bit of clear plastic taped over it as a repair, or was that another car?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talbot-alpine/154326495735?hash=item23ee9371f7:g:qg8AAOSwqgJgJAz3

On 7/6/2019 at 2:35 PM, catsinthewelder said:

This bus

http://classiccars.brightwells.com/images/lots/P1170296.jpg

Was bought by a very rich lady of the manor type who my friend works for.  She was having ideas of doing wedding type faffery but I think its just been tucked away in a barn after being left outside for months.  Presumably it will resurface at a future aution as a barn find.

Is the one at Kings Head Farm in Bromfield? I used to work there.

7 hours ago, barrett said:

No picture of the actual car (and I can't find one from when it was in the museum - @trigger do you have one?) but the ex-Stondon Alpine is on ebay. I seem to remember this one had a smashed headlamp with a bit of clear plastic taped over it as a repair, or was that another car?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talbot-alpine/154326495735?hash=item23ee9371f7:g:qg8AAOSwqgJgJAz3

All I could find....

Autoshitestondon0910_052.jpg

221.jpg

There are some terribly illfitting trousers in that thread - and it was only 11 years ago!

Great, great pics.  I only discovered this place (as a newbie to the area) once it had closed.  Which was a pisser.  Great to have a virtual tour, disappointing that so many members have moved on since.