This is what 400k miles looks like, my taxi

Neil clark

43 minutes ago, Frogchod said:

I really rate these, I'm on my second one now, first one I sold on 424000, my new* one's coming up to 200000.

Both have never failed to proceed, had a clutch centre explode once (at 360000) but still got home clutch less changing.

Wishbones seem a bit weak, I've gone through a few sets of them, I do go down some pretty rough roads though.

Door locks and handles are a bit week too. Very cheap and easy to replace though.

Never seen a rusty one. 

Fit expensive arms and they last me 100k, never fitted a lock or handle, must be lucky 

Looks lovely that.  Shame that the taxis around here are vastly just neglected...they seem to have what's needed for the tests done and that's it.

Last one we used was one of those small Mercs (Vito?) which despite being less than five years old was utterly and completely shot.  Back axle was hanging off, the smoke screen was straight out of a Bond film, it was quite obvious even as a passenger that only one brake was doing anything of note, and the interior was utterly minging.

I did report the state of the car to the council...their response was "yeah, those Mercs are all like that..."

Given they charged me £6.50 for a trip of less than two miles, they could at least keep the car safely maintained...

If I'd had this turn up I'd have been well happy, obviously well looked after and nicely turned out.

17 hours ago, Braddon81 said:

If I can recall many Taxi conversions were undertaken by Allied Vehicles up in Scotland - they held stock of them for conversion and then were officially licensed  as Taxis by them on first registration.  The are also responsible for the  Berlingo /Partner wheelchair converted cars which are also quite popular mini cabs - the majority of which are also first registered North of the border. 

Exactly this, hence why there are a lot of Scottish registered Berlingos/Partners etc kicking around as adapted Motability vehicles