big Al & Flat4 fleet fred--- from famine to feast

big_al_granvia

So  what do you do when you are offered free fence panels that are, ironically, too big to fit in your van???

You use a Volvo!

20200517_150643.thumb.jpg.8cd393ba1c84758ffbb43b1cd5a10630.jpg

And yes it is still wearing odd wheels, just so we're using the safest tyres we can until the new ones can be fitted.

Think we may have other issues from today's little run tho....

20200517_150556.thumb.jpg.cbe1153c9788961f3e4a2bda820013c9.jpg

Was worried this was oil or ATF but it appears to be power steering fluid, as the resevoir is low. Probably a better outcome than either of the other 2 scenarios but this is still gonna be fun tracing where it's coming from ?

• 3 weeks later...

Wee road trip today with me in the Fozzie and Al taking the Volvo to tame mechanic to trace the power steering fluid leak, fit new brakes and put the new tyres on. 2 Scooby wheels also left for fresh rubber as one of my original set of matching Cross Climates is degrading far more rapidly than I hoped, so new summer tyres are going on a year early.

20200603_235147.thumb.jpg.6a201898919e62d2e025801d5b8eab07.jpg

Thanks to @chancer for the ramps also :) Should make painting this a little easier :o

20200529_200835.thumb.jpg.517e914d74b29345315bfead614ac66f.jpg

Hopefully once Volvo returns from tame mechanic and i get the multispokes and spare set of wheels refurbished then one project will be finished. The scoob just needs a towbar fitted and good valet and it should be thereabouts. Bit of undersealing. Then we can get stuck into the bus" bodywork

11 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

The scoob just needs a towbar fitted and good valet and it should be thereabouts. Bit of undersealing. Then we can get stuck into the bus" bodywork

And the misfire sorted, which could be a whole can of worms. And wrapped in baby blue.

6 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Has the Saab had its rad done yet?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Going in tomorrow for that :)

First up for the newbie - bath time!

20200614_194231.thumb.jpg.802f28d63cbe9c224282023d5d5c231e.jpg

Looking a bit more presentable but it will need several gallons of TFR to get the road film off before it can be polished properly.

We introduced it to it's big brother and took them for a play ;)

20200614_194618.thumb.jpg.47f2cd194b9b8dfd13f6922f6e821147.jpg

20200614_194818.thumb.jpg.27dd5434e6a3336a4e90e35eca7903b6.jpg

20200614_194930.thumb.jpg.7d50fc67b10fd80f8eec6c5b2a6a9957.jpg

Can't really do a fair comparison until the Civic has some better boots, especially as I've just realised one on the front is an Arrowspeed :o I'm not sure I'd have gotten along with the very light clutch and lack of low down torque in the Civic when I first passed my test but 13 years on, I do rather love it ;) It handles almost as well as the Scooby, suspension is a little softer but quite well balanced for a daily, steering feel is comparable but just don't have enough grip yet to really see what it can do. Atm the Fozzie has the legs on it definitely in terms of speed and power, and just about in the handling stakes. And that's all I can say tonight coz my brain is about to shut down about now after only 4 hours sleep last night....

More to follow :)

Had 2 cars flooded last night, including the Civic :( Fozzie was saved as it was on the drive but there was an absolutely biblical thunderstorm here last night. We had constant heavy rain for at least 6 hours non-stop and alot of the drains backed up. The main street ended up under 2ft of water and on our street, a neighbour said it was almost up to the bottom of the doors on the Granvia :o The Civic and Saab being much lower have gotten rather soggy but the Civic at least is still running. Haven't tried the Saab yet.

Had 2 cars flooded last night, including the Civic Fozzie was saved as it was on the drive but there was an absolutely biblical thunderstorm here last night. We had constant heavy rain for at least 6 hours non-stop and alot of the drains backed up. The main street ended up under 2ft of water and on our street, a neighbour said it was almost up to the bottom of the doors on the Granvia The Civic and Saab being much lower have gotten rather soggy but the Civic at least is still running. Haven't tried the Saab yet.
Oh no!!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Saab seems to have suffered from it's dunking. Key fob isn't opening the doors ? Have still to try the 2nd key. Hope that's all it is....

Civic is absolutely fine and took Al to work today :) It's such an oven inside, it will have dried out very quickly. I've never known a car with heat sink like it! The Saab and Scooby are both black as well but no where near as bad as the Civic.

13 minutes ago, Flat4 said:

That's not electrics playing up, that's the bloody Arrowspeed and your size 14s!

oi i have never wheelspun any car unless intentionally, my size 14's are as light as a butterfly with a corn, they dance on the pedals like a ballerina. didnt do any wheelspinning today, the shite tyres must have been full of water the other day

On 6/4/2020 at 12:39 PM, big_al_granvia said:

New to us ramps wire brushed and painted.. Hope you enjoyed the cairry oot chancer..

20200604_123216.jpg

I need to do this to a few of mine.

Can I ask what paint you used (make, colour etc) and how you applied it.

The result you have had look great.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Flat4 said:

So how come I drove 337 miles home without activating the VSA once?!

Pure fluke? arrowspeeds are just goodyears or michelins budget brand I can never remember which, they are kwikfits budget tyre of choice! Pretty sure there's a really sketch tyre on the back such as lingring or something like it. ?

I think it's more to do with the fact that the VSA light going out before your journey was some sort of autoshite miracle, as it had been on for weeks before your journey! My money is on drivers side caliper being a bit sticky, as the caliper sliders are notorious for it. I should really have took them apart and emery clothed them then re-greased them. Glad to hear it survived the biblical flooding though. 

Aye it's Kwik Fits own brand rubbish. Arrowspeed 's are now made by Nexen. There's an Aptany, whatever the fuck that is, on the other side on the front but the back are okay - a Pirelli and a Nokian. It'll be getting a pair of Cross Climates on the front at the very least, by this time next week. Looking forward to seeing how much more fun it is with decent rubber ;)

I did wonder about the calliper but there's no discernible difference in disc or wheel temperature between the 2 fronts so it can't be that sticky if it is.

john, in all honesty she is a cracking wee motor, the gearchange is probably the sweetest i have ever driven, the power delivery is smooth and once she gets new rubber and the tracking done she will handle even better. she doesnt feel like she is 16 years old. once flat4 gets the materials i plan on detailing her to immaculate condition as ep3's that havent been thrashed useless are pretty rare now. the leather is good, interior is cleaning up well. once the exhaust is done it will be cosmetics and i do enjoy putting some elbow grease in. I had lost my driving mojo bigtime for a while, the volvo is a big wafting barge and the scoob is too easy to get amazing performance out of, i like a car i have to work a bit, both myself and the car. the civic is doing that

I think it's going to need a proper valet to get it back to good because it's smelling mouldy already :(

I bettered my personal best on the mpg front tho ;) Will work that out manually when the fuel light comes on and see how accurate the on board computer is.

20200620_120105.thumb.jpg.ca0b0decacc4a141b35f0ba69e66e6a1.jpg

VSA light was on when I started it but went off by the first roundabout. There's a brake squeaking now which is hugely annoying but not affecting performance at all. Can still put yourself through the windscreen!

13 hours ago, big_al_granvia said:

john, in all honesty she is a cracking wee motor, the gearchange is probably the sweetest i have ever driven, the power delivery is smooth and once she gets new rubber and the tracking done she will handle even better. she doesnt feel like she is 16 years old. once flat4 gets the materials i plan on detailing her to immaculate condition as ep3's that havent been thrashed useless are pretty rare now. the leather is good, interior is cleaning up well. once the exhaust is done it will be cosmetics and i do enjoy putting some elbow grease in. I had lost my driving mojo bigtime for a while, the volvo is a big wafting barge and the scoob is too easy to get amazing performance out of, i like a car i have to work a bit, both myself and the car. the civic is doing that

I'm just glad it landed with people who are content with it and have the patience to do the little things to see her right. I love a thread where things get fettled! If it helps any ATS are doing a decent deal on rubber, I've just booked the Mazda in for 4 myself.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/50-of-4-michelin-and-free-amazon-echo-3rd-gen-amazon-fire-hd-8-tablet-32gb-or-echo-show-5-at-ats-3489641

I can't wait to see the detailing pics!

This evening's entertainment was to do a temp fix on this little problem.

20200624_202837.thumb.jpg.8eb6158ffca07dadd5341e0281ea1c4e.jpg

20200624_201246.thumb.jpg.b18ad6247f9839fe93eeb6c9a6035a6f.jpg

This bit did 337 miles home supported only by 2 exhaust hangers and the rear ARB :o

20200624_201909.thumb.jpg.0ee5fb30de450ffd4edc9c0bbb1bed3d.jpg

A most inconvenient place for it to fail as there was nothing really left the other side of the flange to get in line with the centre section.

So @big_al_granvia had the admittedly rather good idea of using a bit of pipe a slightly smaller diameter than the exhaust, sticking one end in the broken flange section and the other end into the centre section to at least line up the break and give us something to bosh the 2 ends together. Except Al cut the bit of pipe slightly too long for the limited space available....20200624_204418.thumb.jpg.fe4a11501e290876d651bb8e82e7b348.jpg

So that got chopped in half and we tried again.

20200624_211633.thumb.jpg.366e88d2fe11fe9a8d977c9ca64c29ce.jpg

Success!!!

Exhaust is now back in one piece :D Okay it's held together by exhaust paste, exhaust bandage and wire but it no longer makes your ears bleed!

This will do until we can get the new, 2nd hand exhaust fitted, which does appear to be much needed as the bottom of this one appears to be quite rusty. I'm surprised how thin the metal is!

Added a few items to the list of running repairs, as we took the rear wheel off for better access - rear discs (warped), drop links, a few perished bushes, rear pads and a good stripped down clean up of the rear calliper. Plenty of meat on one side of the pads but not a lot on the other so doesn't seem to braking evenly.

Still drove quite nicely on the test drive to dry out and harden the exhaust bosh ;)

20200624_230511.thumb.jpg.3be5a1d7b09b0b816c4aaa7f567fc5c4.jpg