big Al & Flat4 fleet fred--- from famine to feast

big_al_granvia

Brief update - battery hasn't gone flat overnight, and I was able to take it a brief trip to Asda and back without any nonsense. It is making a new squeaking / whistling noise at me tho, which I'm not sure if it's a loose belt or what. Tame mechanic has no space tomorrow and is then going on holiday for 2 weeks so it's just going to have to be squeaky for a while yet. Front tyres will get swapped over by local fitters in the mean time coz they just can't wait.

Beemer is now the official daily drive :D Vet run done with another 80 faultless miles on the clock.....Apart from losing pressure in 2 tyres before I set off but those are getting replaced anyway. Can't actually put into words how wonderful it is to have a car I can enjoy driving in again! It corners at nearly-Subaru speed even with crap tyres and it's such a well balanced car. Really looking forward to getting to grips with it when it has decent rubber on. Did get stuck behind a Megane on the way out and a fucking Corsa on the way back, which was most frustrating....

I was on twisties and had a dog who had just been to the vet for anti-nausea medication, and is rather prone to car-sickness so I couldn't be too lairy.....Altho I think it shows just how good the suspension/handling/chassis is on this thing because he's never been sick in it EVER! Most cars he throws up a couple of times until he gets used to them but this is apparently a good dog transporter ;) I also like the fact there are so many air blowers in the boot and on to the back seats too but I'm going to have to find some way of stopping them from turning the hazard's on and unlocking the car while running into a shop/vet/bank, etc.....

after flat4 thrashed the beemers tits yesterday it was my turn to do a bit of work, the tailgate is pretty fooked after it hit something hard and there is a bit of corrosion so out with the multitool, usual buff off shit, the bit on the nearside became a hole so roughly filled with fiberglass before a dollop of aldi hammerite, used green at 1st but it was sticking out like hell so gave a 2nd coat of black..... still looks shite but it isnt dissolving for now... really needs a good sand back until smooth before painting in right colour but my attitude is that with the dents a couple bits of shite paint isnt making it any worse... 

derust bm1.jpg

derustbm2.jpg

derust bm3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had the bus out a wee overnighter last week to go to some mantrailing with the dogs.

Park with your nearside front or offside rear next to the peg, they said.....20190609_190523.thumb.jpg.edf2697e25d526f3f5c472d53e280cf7.jpg

This close enough for you, Caravan Club? ;)

So today it got some much-needed TLC after I noticed, when the exhaust fell off, that it was starting to show the effects of living on the coast most of it's life, since being imported from Japan...

20190715_172526.thumb.jpg.af03339043b5bfa5d3050a219117b68a.jpg

20190715_172522.thumb.jpg.04bb5e42a89de73718e277b1dcfc96b8.jpg

Tame mechanic hates it for this reason, as it fights him every time it needs repaired.

So Al has set about it this afternoon with the wire brush...

20190826_150857.thumb.jpg.9744545d5871bc212a3bc1f1ec417e4c.jpg

20190826_150906.thumb.jpg.70895de6fad5cc556913077e5c13edbc.jpg

...and copius amounts of Waxoil!

20190826_155330.thumb.jpg.930e871cc7ba0b32d7c2b867a1681191.jpg

20190826_155336.thumb.jpg.486e2aa1d3d6e1f39edd4aad5e0ab2dc.jpg

Despite how it looked originally it is still pretty solid and this should hopefully prevent it needing any more welding at MOT time....

Next up for that is the Beemer in a couple of weeks but I'm hoping that will go through okay with a track rod end and some fresh pads.

For now, it's finally getting it's new boots on this week and hoping to get the Granvia in for tow bar and replacement back box at the same time.

so we took the beemer from home to scotoshite at armadale, a pre mot shakedown, she really is a good old barge, the handbrake is shite which makes hill starts fun and scary for the dude behind you but the job list for our semi-tame mechanic hasnt increased that much, new front pads are a must, new trackrod end,  oil change (filter already there) make handbrake usable, fix screenwash jet and fit/balance the nearly new goodyears... not a massive list of work... she is driving nice, the 6cyl lump just wafts along, not revvy but just genteel, no engine noise in the cabin... aye i like it

Regarding the screenwasher jets: Every E39 comes with heated ones. At temperatures around 0 degrees the heater elements are turned on automatically, the problem is that the brittle plastics can cause a short, setting the nozzles on fire. Many E39 already died during winter times because of that, I'd recommend to replace them with E60 ones. Naturally I haven't done this on either of mine.?

Also faulty handbrakes are standard equipment on these cars, they always need adjustment.

1 hour ago, Schaefft said:

Regarding the screenwasher jets: Every E39 comes with heated ones. At temperatures around 0 degrees the heater elements are turned on automatically, the problem is that the brittle plastics can cause a short, setting the nozzles on fire. Many E39 already died during winter times because of that, I'd recommend to replace them with E60 ones. Naturally I haven't done this on either of mine.?

Also faulty handbrakes are standard equipment on these cars, they always need adjustment.

Was reading that jets off a CMax fit but those are heated too. Shall go search for some E60 jets to add to the pile of bits!

Is it normal on these for the car to roll like an inch or 2 backwards and then the handbrake bites?

i havent seen any wires going in the area of the washer jets so perhaps they are gone, i am thinking more of using universal jets like this https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/ring-single-outlet-triangle-washer-jet-nut-rwj5    on a 20 year old car authenticity doesnt matter, if it works then it will do, 

The washer jets should have a connector that you can disconnected to disable the heater elements. I'd do it properly and buy replacement washer jets that fit the car 100%, its not like they'd cost much. And no, with the handbrake on there usually isn't any movement unless somethings worn out.

• 4 weeks later...

Brief update, sorry no pics.

Granvia has been massively delayed coming back from tow bar fitting but we may need it back this week, tow bar or not, so keeping everything crossed that tame mechanic can finish it sharpish.

Seriously dodgy track rod end on the Beemer has been changed with surprisingly little hassle! Manual tools only, impact gun not required! Badly needed tho as you can wiggle the old ball joint with your finger....Except it's still fucking vibrating!!!! Local mechanic has advised a control arm is also shagged so I guess that'll be the cause! Another item to add to the list of running repairs ? Debating putting it in for a test first and making sure there isn't anything else needed before buying any more parts. I like it so much I've kept it longer than I intended but I get fed up when I get one thing fixed and something else fucks up straight after.

Narrow bean tins are currently sitting in the kitchen to repair* the hole in the Almera's exhaust....

• 1 month later...

fleet update

BMW, has fresh MOT but handbrake still crap, new front brake pads and a bottom arm, handling better, turbo not boosting well but windscreen washers working
Granvia, still no towbar, running on veg oil, has new Osram Nightbreaker headlight bulbs and both work, 
Almera, sitting on drive waiting on exhaust to be fixed still, fallen out of love with it
leggy, still lying in mechanic's shed awaiting gearbox removal, suspected broken clutch fork

• 3 months later...

all change, as well documented elsewhere primarily thanks to me fluffyballs and his human helper we have 2new additions and 1 departure, i shall let @Flat4 deal with the subaru but let me introduce my new daily

53 plate Volvo V70 awd diesel, bought from a fellow shiter this example of Swedish craftsmanship is just splendid, engine pulls like a truck, seats are like leather armchairs and everything works... this is what happens when you stop smoking and use a vape, you get a nice motor. okay at some point someone has installed 13 pin electrics for towing but our vans are 7 pin but a wee adaptor will solve that, needs a good wash and polish but nothing else. we even have new tyres that will fit

volvo1.jpg

volvo2.jpg

Correction - we have 1 pair of tyres which will fit the Ovlov and a full matching set of 4 which might. It's currently wearing 3 different brands of budget tyres which I just can't have, especially on an AWD, so that'll be the first thing to be changed. Then we just need to kit it out with a full size spare and it will likely be on towing duties at the end of the month :) That's all I can see it needing so far, which is amazing. Touch wood, gearbox is behaving itself even around town. Will likely get the cam belt and water pump done as preventative maintenance but I am impressed with our first Volvo! You can feel the quality in it and it's a lovely smooth, comfortable drive.

This is what a 2nd job, hard graft and many, many early mornings looks like. 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT, single turbo, manual gearbox. I believe this has the slightly later engine which has 227 bhp compared to 206. It's my almost perfect car (I wanted a light coloured one and no tow bar - yet!) that I have wanted for over a year, the most modern I have ever owned and in the best condition I have ever had! It has a full stamped service history book up to 2015 and a whole folder full of expensive receipts since then, dating back to 2007 as well. It came with a genuine Subaru dog guard fitted, it has had most common failure points already replaced and my word it shows! The engine was rebuilt at a Subaru dealer, including a new clutch, at a cost of £3500. Dealer also replaced the rear shocks about 40,000 miles ago with genuine self-levelling ones and the cam belt was done 2 years ago. It PULLS like a TANK, it outguns BMW 7-series drivers who fancy their chances ;) The oil is ridiculously clean, it has 4 matching Michelin tyres and defies the laws of physics - something this tall with this much arch gap should not be able to corner as flat and level as it does! There is zero body roll and even for a Scooby, the grip is unbelievable! 

It does have a few niggles to be sorted but is very much useable in the meantime. It was sold as spares or repairs as the only key fob has failed and you need to manually over ride the immobilser by typing a code into a pad under the dash. I am wondering if this might be a simple fix of replacing the battery in the key fob but even if it's not, the immobilser can be turned off if the pin pad gets too annoying... 

It also had a check engine light illuminated and the seller advised it be trailered away... Thanks to the amazing kindness and determination of @Stanky collecting from a rather tricky seller and@Bucketeer loosing 4 days of his life to deliver it home, it promptly drove 475 miles, another 100 ish miles with me this week and the disco lights have gone out! Which means the engine isn't detecting any current faults but I will get the stored codes read to see what it wasn't happy about. 

It does need 2 back tyres replaced as they are on the limit for age but I have a couple of sets of Subaru wheels I am going to try on to see which will clear the brakes first. Those will be getting upgraded at some point as they can be described as just about adequate... 4 pots or better definitely needed!

It has developed a very slight misfire at idle and occasionally at low revs which is a concern as it had new plugs and leads last year so what ever is up might be expensive, but I'm hoping not serious given the epic mileage it's just done. It does have a couple of receipts for injectors for previous misfire issues so I'm thinking the first mod, after the tow bar fitting, will be to upgrade the injectors to those off an Impreza STI ;)

20200202_162537.jpg

20200202_162100.jpg

20200202_161708.jpg

20200202_141722.jpg

20200202_141742.jpg

20200202_141625.jpg

18 hours ago, big_al_granvia said:

all change, as well documented elsewhere primarily thanks to me fluffyballs and his human helper we have 2new additions and 1 departure, i shall let @Flat4 deal with the subaru but let me introduce my new daily

53 plate Volvo V70 awd diesel, bought from a fellow shiter this example of Swedish craftsmanship is just splendid, engine pulls like a truck, seats are like leather armchairs and everything works... this is what happens when you stop smoking and use a vape, you get a nice motor. okay at some point someone has installed 13 pin electrics for towing but our vans are 7 pin but a wee adaptor will solve that, needs a good wash and polish but nothing else. we even have new tyres that will fit

volvo1.jpg

volvo2.jpg

YUPLAC?

:P looks alreet that

So the fleet currently looks like this :D

20200207_010059.thumb.jpg.0fd0e9b5c22d3d95296f3a659a9290fb.jpg

Not often I get them all lined up in a row ;) Touch wood, all working, all road legal which is a very reassuring position to be in :)

Al has also decided to keep the Almera as a spare car for the time being as it's really too reliable to sell. It's the one that's kept going when everything else has fallen to bits!

In other news, first run in the Fozzie with me driving has returned just over 28 mpg, which I'm actually very pleased with, as my last Legacy GTB struggled to get 26 even on a run. I am also suspecting a duff coil pack as the cause of the misfire, which actually shouldn't be too expensive to sort out. It's worse now it's wet which suggests, I think, that it's something electrical rather than mechanical, which was my biggest concern. It also doesn't misfire when cold and Scoobies in general are prone to cracking and delaminating coil packs. Hoping tame mechanic can look at it next week to tell me if I'm right.