Is this worth owt?

nigel bickle

Yup, agree completely

This is Basse Normandie, a little west of Alencon.

The lady in pink in one of the photos is a friendly Notaire, and of great help

when I said the water mill was seriously damp, I meant  this

That’s the supporting wall on the top(2nd) floor.  Wringing wet black rot, percolating down to the first floor.

20B14634-1509-446E-BDAA-BEBB878766AA.jpeg

On 6/23/2019 at 12:16 PM, Six-cylinder said:

There is a strong interest for E30s, values still range from not much over scrap value for a rotten 4 door 4 cylinder to £30,000 for a show quality 325i sport, that is without even entering M3 into the tale. Running cars in UK seem to start around £2000 and many fall in around £5000.

Rot is a major problem.

2 doors command quite a premium over 4 door and 2 doors get used for racing, rallying etc

Single exhaust implies 4 cylinder. Spoiler could mean it is the more valuable 318iS 16v or somebody just fitted a spoiler to a 316.

Skizzer has just bought a 320i E30.

And the eBay morons refer to them as 'coupes' as if that somehow makes them worth more. Oh look, here's one now: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153199225363

4 minutes ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

As this is becoming the French property thread, what about this for a wee bolt hole??

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-69438994.html

That's mega cheap. What's the catch?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

The catch? It's been sold by an agent called Legg...ett :D

That actually looks rather good, it makes me laugh when they say the garden and garage are not attached, it's quite common and you could see your garden  on the other side of the village lol. 

The Geometrist is vital here as getting boundaries identified properly is important. It has been known for a property or an additional bit like a garden to be owned by several members of a family and they may not all be in agreement about sale and so on. All good fun :)

I'd go for that if I could, looks lovely. 

What kind of taxes / fees could one expect to pay on a place like that? Assuming there's an equivalent to council tax, plus water, electricity, gas/bottles, etc.

Is there a "non resident" fee?

I could see a bolt hole being useful for family holidays and so on.  Imagine if you sub-let to friends etc. there would be a local tourism tax.

I passed thru this very village last week

Prices? It’s simply supply & demand.

Far far more houses here, than people, which is getting worse as the young under migrate to the cities. This is a very quiet part of the world. Everything except the biggest town are zombie like, with 80-90% of the houses shuttered up, and 25% up for sale. It’s quite depressing. At the same time, the villages are dying with very few now having much more open than very basic facilities. They are getting around this by having travelling markets, with allocated days in the square, for those still there to shop.

Notaires fees are negotiable, and can be easily offset by by-passing the Estate Agent and going direct. Most Notaires know more about available properties in the area than Agents anyway! Use the Agent to get an intro, then ask the Notaire to go through their books. They will be very happy to do so

Leggett Immobilier is one of several Estate Agent franchises,  using local Agents and taking an ‘on top’Commission. Set up to suit ‘ les Anglais’, the locals wouldn’t contemplate, as they just increase the price! Their House details usually  include all costs (excluding Notaire) but if not - they’ll be happy to supply.

And all this started because I asked about a BMW!

6 hours ago, loserone said:

Or if you get somewhere big enough, somewhere you can have family gatherings and argue with each other without the neighbours recording it, calling the police and selling the tape to the Guardian :-D

Any idea what will happen to property prices there when, you know,

that THING,

yes, THAT thing,

has happened?

I'm also very curious as to whether purchasing property will become more difficult (though I can't believe it'll get easier)

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, SiC said:

Check this place out! Swimming pool and everything. Could make a great holiday home.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-63164028.html?currencyCode=GBP

If it wasn't for Mrs SiC, I'd move out there permanently and have a job I can WFH with. 

How much do you like your wife?