Is this worth owt?

nigel bickle

6A85B8A9-E029-4C30-92E5-7A987A72404D.thumb.jpeg.21d5f219877b0f05ec3bd9e2f8b15e96.jpeg

I’m looking at a farm in Normandy, and this is sitting in a lean too, attached. They want to sell with everything in situ - is this worth anything?

My BMW knowledge could be written on a stamp, and they didn’t want me approaching the car, as it’s exploratory right now.

So, , can anyone glean any useful info from this pic, please?

E30's have gone up in value quite a lot in the last few years, we've got a nice 316 that cost £700 12 years ago. It was sitting on the drive from 2013 until a couple of months ago, which saved it from drifters and modifiers , it seems to be worth four times that now it's back on the road and both the MOT tester and the guy that replaced the brakes offered that sort of money for it

Spec is important, 2 doors are more desirable than 4 and if it's a 325i manual, 2door, although the nasty ( Volvo 440?) spoiler and towbar suggest it's not, it could be worth as much as the house!

Of course, Johnny Foreigner got diesels and 4x4s , no idea how desirable they are. 

A nice start to a Sunday:)

The rear lights and plastic bumper say it is a facelift (88model year on), and the single tailpipe suggests it has one of the smaller capacity 4 cylinder engines (1.6/8)

That means rear drum brakes and smaller 45mm front dampers, plus solid front discs.

The CB Ariel suggests a hacked about wiring harness.

If it is a 2dr saloon, that's the body shape worth the most, with the 4 Dr saloon being worth less.

It may be worth checking out leboncoin for an idea of the value with/without CT.

Good luck with the purchase!

2 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

I'd be interested in that BMW - am after an e30 ?

My job on Friday evening was a delivery to our Sudbury, Suffolk store. To get there we go to Colchester then take the A134 to Sudbury.

Along that road, there's a yard full of old beemers. I noticed at least two or three e30's in there, plus many more older bmw's.

If ever you're around that way, it may well be worth taking a look.

Edit: Just had a butchers on Google Earth. It just outside a village called Honey Tye. The name of the place is Angus Buchanan Workshop (ABW).

It is situated on the main A134.

Further edit: https://www.angusbmw.co.uk/

There is a strong interest for E30s, values still range from not much over scrap value for a rotten 4 door 4 cylinder to £30,000 for a show quality 325i sport, that is without even entering M3 into the tale. Running cars in UK seem to start around £2000 and many fall in around £5000.

Rot is a major problem.

2 doors command quite a premium over 4 door and 2 doors get used for racing, rallying etc

Single exhaust implies 4 cylinder. Spoiler could mean it is the more valuable 318iS 16v or somebody just fitted a spoiler to a 316.

Skizzer has just bought a 320i E30.

Thanks chaps

So, probably worthless, as I suspected - but appreciate the info. Viewed as a liability, rather than an asset.

This is what it attached too- shed at the far end

FF6894C3-34B2-431F-82E9-B3DD6FCDBAE8.thumb.jpeg.094017dfd448bd4d93bee1fa8497310b.jpeg

Private 1/4 mile drivel to the left,  6 house hamlet.    2 acres, large 30’ tall barn, ( off to the right), orchard & fields inc,  asking 48,000 euros

( so say £42000, (inc fees & notarie).  

Plenty to choose from here... 

63FC6DD2-B46F-4FFA-AEB0-4CB7F351374B.jpeg

It’s worth fuck all, I’ll give you £50 for it. 

No, seriously like any 80’s tin it’s worth whatever anyone will pay for it on eBay so could be a couple of grand easy if it’s a 325i or a 318iS. Less so if, given it’s in France, it’s a 324D. 

Put it it back on the road if you can, these were beautifully made things, from a time when German actually meant a good well engineered car. Because they were well made to start they tend to be easy to take apart. But as above they can and do rot, but chances are if it’s sat in a dry shed it might be fairly solid. 

‘‘Tis for my Dad.

He lives on the outskirts of Alencon, in what was a village but now a suburb. He’s pissed off having new neighbours in flash houses, wants out, to be in a quieter or non existent garlic munching  community.

Rub for us was that the field behind his house, that I’ve used as a landing strip ( to get there quickly) for many years is about to be built on.  Intense housing, ( by French standards) means 5-6 houses on the acre.    I’ve got a few months [ French!], but the time to move him is nigh.

Just now, nigel bickle said:

Sierraman, if I end up with it, I’ll bear that offer in mind - if you collect quick!

. I don’t want it, and will use it to drop the price further.  

If I bring another dead car home I’ll be living in that barn of yours. 

Trailer it over, stick it on eBay, even if it makes a few hundred then it pays for materials for repairs on the house. Make sure you get the documents for it mind otherwise getting rid of it will be a massive PITA. You could just park it in a hedge or something and let nature take its course or if you’ve land use it to shift stuff about. 

Expensive, for this kneck  of the woods.

There are 3 houses for every occupant.  

This morning we looked at an interesting 3 floor watermill , in 2 acres, with 6 stables, large barn (with 5 tractors in it - belonging to the Mayor) , 2 small Gites, a garage etc etc etc - asking 25,000 euros. 

Too much work.  Seriously damp.

2 hours ago, SiC said:

What's the Rightmove / Zoopla equivalent for France?

Maybe I need to start night school lessons at the local college in French. 

Been polishing my GCSE-level and mostly long since forgotten French up on Duolingo. Pretty good considering it's free.

Be great if it were a Willy’s Jeep or  even better a kubelwagon sat tucked away in there that the crouts left behind ...... be a bargain then! Still, the chance to buy a property that comes with random retro cars is very rare. Get it bought. 

I found France to be a great place to live, friendly people, pretty good tradesmen although their sense of punctuality was a bit adrift. The tradespeople in Gourge were fab, oddly their surnames all began with P.  At the time getting stuff done for cash or on the black as they called it was a bit frowned upon. Getting your face known and mixing with the local populace is a positive thing. There aren't usually surveys done on buildings out there but getting the building looked over by a builder is an option.  Getting a good Notaire and Geometrist is also helpful.

Getting in with the local mayor was vital to getting stuff done/authorised. 

Managed to avoid the small enclave of Brits as they were all loud and shouty.

I would move back there in a bloody heartbeat, it was totally ace.