Hateful BMW 320d compact

Youngteam

Assuming it wasn’t bought on here let’s say and it was bought off Gumtree or wherever would you go back to the seller?

I personally wouldn’t as they’re likely to tell you to fuck off, you buy at your own risk generally speaking but again you wouldn’t shit on your own doorstep and flog a nail to your neighbour or arguably on here. For that reason I don’t sell cars on here as generally speaking when I’ve finished with them they are fucked. 

Speaking generally and not in this specific case, it is unusual on here, as it’s like shitting on your doorstep. I have only one instance (where “boost leak” was “fucked clutch” - and maybe being charitable that was just a diagnostic misjudgement) but that was long ago. There’s a certain level of scrutiny as we can all read the ads. 

Buying a well known, and well documented (threads etc) forum car is another level of safety as several shiters have owned, driven and cared for the vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I still have this as I can't afford to change it. It's a bit less glacially slow than it was but it's still nowhere near where it should be

Stuff done so far includes: replacing a knackered intercooler pipe, replaced all the vacuum lines, retapping the threads on the turbo intake so the pipe sealed, fitted 2 bolts rather than the one loose one to where the egr pipe joins the exhaust manifold, tightened joint between cat and turbo, cleaned maf and map sensors which were pretty much spotless anyway, tested turbo actuator, replaced air filter. 

It's now making about 4psi of boost rather than the ~1.5psi it was making before. Nowhere near the ~20psi its meant to make though. Investigation continues and a new cat is on the way in case it's that. At least the computer is still showing ~60 MPG so that's one thing to be pleased about. 

Taking off the manifold to replace the vacuum pipes revealed some hideousness though, any ideas? Guess it's a coolant leak from the pipe below but it doesn't appear to be losing coolant. Don't worry about the missing seals, I'd already started removing them at this point. 

I need the car again tomorrow so for now I scraped off the crustyness as best I could and got it all back together. 

IMG_20190708_174007.jpg

IMG_20190708_174011.jpg

Measuring boost in INPA. This one has a vacuum actuator which appears to be working fine. 

INPA shows no codes other than glow plug relay which is making diagnosis difficult. 

I think the next step is to test the intercooler for leaks, there's nothing obvious but I'm hoping a pressure test might highlight and issue.

• 2 months later...

This fine* automobile is still in my possession. 

It's a lot better than it was after a new MAF, replacing all the boost hoses, new PAS pulley, new belt, fixing various bodges, ensuring the exhaust no longer leaks and slowly poisons the inhabitants, etc. but it's still slow.

Back in the searing heat of the summer I fitted a new AC condenser and dryer as the bottom inch or so of the condenser was completely missing. Probably not the most pressing thing to sort, but this gave me lovely cool air and made me not hate the car so much. Recently the AC belt tensioner starting squealing horribly so the AC belt is off and I've lost interest in getting anything else sorted.

Every time I look at the car it reminds me of my stupidity.

Anyway, enough wallowing in self pity, anyone interested in buying a hateful 320d compact?

• 2 weeks later...

It's shit when you get caught out on a car, particularly on a car forum like this where almost all members are pretty honest abiyt what they're selling.

I bought sims00 dad's Avensis and while it was advertised correctly/fairly and sims was stand up guy in everyway, I think in the past his dad may have been ripped off on a few jobs as I've seen the supplied receipts yet someone tiewrapping a clutch slave cylinder onto a gearbox and also managing to lose all the fixings for the undertrays so replace with tiewraps doesn't inspire confidence. The clutch is heavy and very juddery on pull off but I suspect this is fitment rather than wear as a receipt for new was supplied at a price more than I paid for the car however the car functions otherwise perfectly and it's not impossible to drive in anyway, Sims 00 hid nothing.

I found a bolt loose on the aux belt tensioner (also replaced by the same garage), so loose it was cutting through the belt so it convinces me the garage have taken advantage, such a shame people still do that in this day and age.

However, I'm chuffed with the car and my son really likes it too, it was immaculate inside when picked up and the bodywork was in much better condition than described and after a major cut and polish session it came up fantastically.

I've had no issues with buying on this forum but the previous vendor of this car has had you over IMO, regardless of personal issues it takes a minute to say "hey, really sorry about the car and it's issues, I was going through a hard time and should have been more honest. When I'm back, I'll get in touch and we'll sort it out". I worked on a boat in the middle of the Congo and could get contact home everyday so it's a poor excuse save for military service or the like where yes it won't be too of your priorities ( which happened on another forum years ago!!! Got settled after the lad came back from the middle East).

As for taking a car back to the person for a refund/re-exchange as suggested above best of luck. I had someone threaten me with this for the sale of a great little Corsa years ago which developed an apparent wheel bearing noise plus the seller was annoyed he hadn't received the FSH a day after I sold him the car.

Being a decent sort and disappointed said wheel bearing had not been picked up on the MOT a fortnight earlier I offered to send a new bearing through the post along with a discount of £45 for an hour's labour to fit (probably a 20 minute job in reality) and that I'd already sent the FSH off to him the previous day. Once FSH arrived a message was received that the car was suddenly fine now and he was happy, bearing not required, clearly selling it straight on at a profit with the promise of FSH to the new keeper. 

People are quick to quote the law but in reality they know little about it. From a forecourt, you're protected to a point but a P/X deal of a previously damaged car Vs an old BMW via a private sale would be laughed at in court and threatening the person to give you your old car back/a refund would land you right in the soup. 

Hopefully this will be resolved amicably but I think even the op is doubtful of that. 

The po of the BMW will struggle to shift anything else on here for a while if ever which is some comfort I suppose.

On 6/23/2019 at 5:24 PM, Dick Longbridge said:

This isn't Gumtree. 

I'm currently trying to buy a big mirror for my lounge, off gumtree.  It has to fit in the boot. 

Why describe it as big, without the dimensions. ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 9:45 AM, vaughant said:

It's shit when you get caught out on a car, particularly on a car forum like this where almost all members are pretty honest abiyt what they're selling.

I bought sims00 dad's Avensis and while it was advertised correctly/fairly and sims was stand up guy in everyway, I think in the past his dad may have been ripped off on a few jobs as I've seen the supplied receipts yet someone tiewrapping a clutch slave cylinder onto a gearbox and also managing to lose all the fixings for the undertrays so replace with tiewraps doesn't inspire confidence. The clutch is heavy and very juddery on pull off but I suspect this is fitment rather than wear as a receipt for new was supplied at a price more than I paid for the car however the car functions otherwise perfectly and it's not impossible to drive in anyway, Sims 00 hid nothing.

I found a bolt loose on the aux belt tensioner (also replaced by the same garage), so loose it was cutting through the belt so it convinces me the garage have taken advantage, such a shame people still do that in this day and age.

However, I'm chuffed with the car and my son really likes it too, it was immaculate inside when picked up and the bodywork was in much better condition than described and after a major cut and polish session it came up fantastically.

I've had no issues with buying on this forum but the previous vendor of this car has had you over IMO, regardless of personal issues it takes a minute to say "hey, really sorry about the car and it's issues, I was going through a hard time and should have been more honest. When I'm back, I'll get in touch and we'll sort it out". I worked on a boat in the middle of the Congo and could get contact home everyday so it's a poor excuse save for military service or the like where yes it won't be too of your priorities ( which happened on another forum years ago!!! Got settled after the lad came back from the middle East).

As for taking a car back to the person for a refund/re-exchange as suggested above best of luck. I had someone threaten me with this for the sale of a great little Corsa years ago which developed an apparent wheel bearing noise plus the seller was annoyed he hadn't received the FSH a day after I sold him the car.

Being a decent sort and disappointed said wheel bearing had not been picked up on the MOT a fortnight earlier I offered to send a new bearing through the post along with a discount of £45 for an hour's labour to fit (probably a 20 minute job in reality) and that I'd already sent the FSH off to him the previous day. Once FSH arrived a message was received that the car was suddenly fine now and he was happy, bearing not required, clearly selling it straight on at a profit with the promise of FSH to the new keeper. 

People are quick to quote the law but in reality they know little about it. From a forecourt, you're protected to a point but a P/X deal of a previously damaged car Vs an old BMW via a private sale would be laughed at in court and threatening the person to give you your old car back/a refund would land you right in the soup. 

Hopefully this will be resolved amicably but I think even the op is doubtful of that. 

The po of the BMW will struggle to shift anything else on here for a while if ever which is some comfort I suppose.

Vaughan was a pleasure mate meeting you. I'm genuinely pissed off reading about the jobs, the garage he used are known to mess him around for ages and I've had run ins with them as well. I spoke with my dad and told him what you've written and he's genuinely pissed off and actually apologetic. It angers me that they can take advantage of him as he's elderly and very trusting. I shan't be letting him go anywhere near those cowboys now. They're not even cheap!

43 minutes ago, sims00 said:

Vaughan was a pleasure mate meeting you. I'm genuinely pissed off reading about the jobs, the garage he used are known to mess him around for ages and I've had run ins with them as well. I spoke with my dad and told him what you've written and he's genuinely pissed off and actually apologetic. It angers me that they can take advantage of him as he's elderly and very trusting. I shan't be letting him go anywhere near those cowboys now. They're not even cheap!

Hey that's fine buddy, you and your dad treated me fantastically and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. 

I didn't want to text you my findings a day after buying it as I would hate for you to think I was moaning.

Yes I'm afraid a lot of the work was very substandard and I'll gladly take some pictures for you next time I'm under it to show to the garage if you like. And yes some of the receipts were pretty high but I put that down to (Greater) Lannnnddaaaann tannnnn direction weighting.

My son has got the knack of driving the car just fine now and loves it so win win for us.