Hateful BMW 320d compact

Youngteam

As David clearly has no conscience I'll start a thread to chronicle getting this heap back I to a usable state. 

For those that didn't see the original thread, I swapped my CAT D Clio 182 for this as it was advertised as having no problems and my clio had a couple of issues that I wasn't in a position to resolve. The post described the car has having no issues and that it had been "meticulously" serviced. David has now deleted all threads related to the car further confirming that he knew the problems it had. 

I realise there's a big dollop of caveat emptor here but I took him at his word, assuming membership of this place meant he was a likeminded trustworthy fellow. Serves me right I guess. Lesson learned. 

The icing on the cake is that the Clio is now listed on ebay with no mention of the CAT marker, the slipping clutch, the tyres worn to the markers. Lies about recent services, if anything it needs new discs, they haven't recently been changed. All the photos are taken to hide the damage just like those of the BMW. It looks like he'll make a tidy profit from this. 

Problems discovered so far:

Car has hardly any power and is getting worse, barely manages to maintain 70 on the motorway. 

Cabin fills with exhaust fumes - I guess exhaust leak related to above. 

Intercooler hose has been patched with gunk and tape. 

Crank pulley wobbles like mad and has shredded the new serpentine belt that David kindly* fitted to get the car ready for collection. I didn't twig when he grabbed the breaker bar out of the boot that he'd brought along in case the new belt went on the way to our meeting point. 

Horn doesn't work - when we met he did offer this information when I asked if there was anything wrong with the car. 

Supposedly came with two keys, turns out one is blank and only the fob works, one is cut for the car and the fob doesn't. So basically one key. 

He specifically stated the car was clean all over with absolutely no rust. Once I got it home and cleaned all the grime off, I found it it has scratches on practically every panel and rust on the arches and door bottoms. 

The rear brakes are sticking. 

All in all, quite a lot wrong to not disclose and he obviously knew this. No doubt more will be forthcoming as its clearly not been serviced as regularly as he claims, the air filter is gopping. 

I guess there's nothing I can do now other than beat myself up a bit and crack on with fixing a car which I neither have the time or spare cash to fix when all I really wanted was to swap to a car that could safely and reliably cart me and the family around. 

Anyway, after all that moaning, anyone have any tips/pointers on getting this heap fixed?

Looks like I need a locking tool to hold the crank pulley, don't suppose anyone in the Derby area has one I could borrow? 

Is there anyway you could get the car to Birmingham? I have contacts there that can repair the car at a much reduced price if you were able to.... I imagine with what you mentioned above you would need to leave the car and then return at a later date. 

I'd like to think I am a trusted member on this forum and will always do my best to help others. 

At risk of sounding callous, you appear to have a snagging list of issues on a 17 year old, 165k car bought for under £750? 

The horn, key, intercooler hose, and rear brakes and exhaust could be sorted for under £100 could they not? Its all entirely DIY-able, with the possible exception of the exhaust which may be easier to take to  a generic tyres and exhausts place but only because then you aren't picking rust scabs and grit out of your ears for the next week?

I'll freely admit that the crank pulley is potentially concerning, but have you checked its done up tight? Is any part of it visibly broken?

There is plenty of expertise on here to help you tackle it yourself, learn how to fix new things and all for under £100 in parts plus a couple of hours of your time

Indeed, as I say caveat emptor and all that. 

It's nothing I can't tackle myself, I'm just not a fan of being lied to and seeing the car I swapped for this being misrepresented in the same manner is an additional kick in the teeth. 

I guess everyone has a different moral compass though, I like to describe every fault with a car so people know what they're getting rather than masking the truth to make a quick buck. 

7 hours ago, Youngteam said:

I guess everyone has a different moral compass though, I like to describe every fault with a car so people know what they're getting rather than masking the truth to make a quick buck. 

Indeed. As my nan used to say " nobody sells a car that's got nothing wrong with it" 

I have noticed that some mints have holes in them. 

Trust nobody. 

Most cars have issues, but its the normal honesty on this place that has been violated.

If anything most of us undersell the car, and list everything down to the dodgy screw holding the back numberplate in.

How many posts did DavidB have? Has he just joined to flog the BMW then FRO.?

6 minutes ago, gadgetgricey said:

Most cars have issues, but its the normal honesty on this place that has been violated.

If anything most of us undersell the car, and list everything down to the dodgy screw holding the back numberplate in.

How many posts did DavidB have? Has he just joined to flog the BMW then FRO.?

Thats the crack really isnt it. As this is a club you tend to be honest as you dont want holding up as a liar in front of the rest. Hard luck pal, hopefully you get it mended and it turns out to be a good one