Show us Your Citroen AXs please!

Six-cylinder

Show us Your Citroen AXs please!

Bucketeer and I have been arguing who has the best AX but what we realise is there is no such thing as a bad AX so we started this thread for you to show us your AX or tell us about your AX experiences.

How many models and “Special Editions” of the hundreds that Citroen produced are represented here?

Feel Free to add your AX stuff in this thread.

IMG_20190620_202355 broad.jpg

11 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

... a detailed analyst of the differences between a 1995 AX 11i Forte and a 1992 AX11 TZX. Initial comparisons have us believing that the complete works of Shakespeare will be a light read compared with our full document!

It is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

AX Forte, the stuff of dreams for me as a 17/18yr old lad in 1993/4 when I think they first came out. Mate of mine had one and I can remember him harping on about buying a new car that did 0-60 in 10 seconds but was only a 1.1 ?. It was actually his dad who bought it but he drove it all the time.

It was way quicker than a 1.1 had any right to be plus the wider steels made it handle really well. 

Started my apprenticeship at 19 and a lad had an AX GT which was a very capable car but no match for my FIAT Uno Turbo in a straight line (understandably) but far superior in the bends. 

He sold the AX and bought a really nice Uno Turbo instead but in typical Uno fashion you never had clean finger nails as they were laughably unreliable although incredible fun when they worked which was about 75% of the time. Never went in a standard one as they were so easy to modify, 1 bar boost was available by bending the wastegate arm!

Years later another lad I knew put a turbocharged Saxo engine in an AX which he claims was the fastest car he'd ever been in, something I wouldn't argue with.

Overall for me a very underrated car from that era but also a car that was in a really tough market for completion.

My stepmum had a mint green one on I think a K reg in the late 90's. Being little I fitted in the back perfectly and the front wiper squeaked like a bastard. That is the only memory I had of it!

Driving the BucketMan's at shitefest though, their bloody ace! Never sat in one before and apart from the almost worryingly high clutch, it was fine! Oodles of room even for massive me, feels bigger on the inside than the outside. I saw a £200 one in Wycombe around the same time I got the ZX from Bub but didn't go for it incase it was tiny or similar, plus Bub was offering trusted shiter payment options, but I will look twice or 3 times at one now!

So similar interior wise to my old 1994 ZX it's uncanny! Switchgear, steering wheel, seating position etc.

Mine I purchased from Bramz, as I needed a car as backup in case of snow, as I commuted 120 miles a day on a motorbike.

Weather was only bad enough to use the AX twice for the commute, but it was a great little thing to up on around the lanes. Not much power so keeping up momentum was the key. Just like riding one of my small motorbikes on the same roads..

Heater was brilliant, seats were very comfortable, and pulling of bits of laquer from the roof was irrisistable.

The "boxing gloves" on the front were to cover the substantial towing eyes, as earlier in its life, it was towed behind a motorhome

I sold it on to Bucketeer as i just didnt have a need for it., and it has passed through a few hands since then, hopefully giving everyone as much fun as it did me.

20170610_143829.jpg

20170610_143620.jpg

20170610_143649.jpg

20180406_100258.jpg

My great aunt and uncle bought a new AX 10E 3dr in red in 1990. It was a nice little car, never let them down as far as I know, though it was hit twice in a car park in the space of a few days, the second time it happened they had only just got it back from the menders. No trace of it at DVLA so I presume it was scrapped. 

1 minute ago, bramz7 said:

Ah so it was you who messaged me on Flickr about this car. I spotted it in London with the former owner just before you got it. 

Lovely thing by the way. 

Correct!

God damn, it was soooo worn out when I took ownership. New everything pretty much describes it. Such good fun to drive though and mega rare to boot!

Yes debut is I think is the base one though mines got those nice ax gt seats and carpet now as the originals were horrible and worn. Seats now match the colour ....I like the dark blue I think it suits the car. I have a vts engine too tucked away.........maybe one day it will go in !

My first car in 1998 was a 1988 AX 11RE 5 door in red. Was quite crappy even then but gave me an appreciation of them, which is one reason that I bought a GT5 in gunmetal grey in 2006, or thereabouts.

Bizarrely, I found this doppelganger advertised as free for parts before the rest was to be fragged, earlier this year:

32221116137_9036edc790_b.jpg

A Japanese market AX GT in NZ - not something you see every day!

40198215363_5358b45239_b.jpg

40198217003_b5c83c8f38_b.jpg

The night before I went to see it (it was advertised on FB marketplace), I harboured thoughts about how I would try and save it but in actual fact, it was pretty buggered. Thankfully, I think someone else managed to salvage some bits from it, thanks to me forwarding these photos to the right circles.

32221120457_9aef098492_b.jpg

40198218313_3e24d06c5b_b.jpg

For avid AX fans, can anyone spot the unfamiliar thing in the photo above?

1 hour ago, Bucketeer said:

I think six_cylinder told me that air con was an option on some UK AXs around the time he sold them.

What I actually said was I had never seen a UK AX with aircon in spite of selling them 1987 and 1994-1996. I don't even remember aircon in the options list.

What I did say was Mrs6C had found how to operate the aircon in my handbook, but there was a disclaimer about not available in all markets.