Old slides of cars & Europe - more added

carlo

I have been having a certain amount of fun scanning some of my dad's old slides of his travels through Europe, mainly France, Switzerland and Italy.  He has literally thousands of them.  Thought some of you may be interested in this selection.  Haven't a clue where the locations in Europe are but maybe some of you may know.  A few are of his home near Wembley in the fifties.

Tenth slide is a current view of the Andorra border which I think may equate to the picture before!

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0011a.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Great ! I can confirm the motorsport shots with the grandstand in the background are Le Mans  1960; with #22 being the 250gt swb entered by ecurie francorchamps and driven by elde (Leon dernier) and Pierre noblet; finishing 6th overall.

The car (2021gt) was entered in a few events in 1960 and was totalled at least twice that same year.

#category D BUYER BEWARE

The slide with single seater #15

Jo Bonnier is crouching next to the cockpit.

Journeyman sports car driver and sometime F1 entrant, he was a leading campaigner for improved track safety. Ironically he was killed in an accident at Le Mans 1972 when his Lola was launched off a Ferrari Daytona into trees and disintegrated.

19 minutes ago, HMC said:

The slide with single seater #15

Jo Bonnier is crouching next to the cockpit.

Journeyman sports car driver and sometime F1 entrant, he was a leading campaigner for improved track safety. Ironically he was killed in an accident at Le Mans 1972 when his Lola was launched off a Ferrari Daytona into trees and disintegrated.

I believe from talking to my dad that the driver in this picture was quite a famous young German, who may also have been killed racing?

Incidentally I wonder if any of you know what the sports car AEA 371 was, dad had a variety of rare sports cars in the 60s.  This is a rare machine from a country you might not expect.

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Great ! I can confirm the motorsport shots with the grandstand in the background are Le Mans  1960; with #22 being the 250gt swb entered by ecurie francorchamps and driven by elde (Leon dernier) and Pierre noblet; finishing 6th overall.

The car (2021gt) was entered in a few events in 1960 and was totalled at least twice that same year.

#category D BUYER BEWARE

That would make sense as my mum remembers going to Le Mans when she was pregnant with my sister who was born in 1960!

There's a whole heap of prints and slides, I'll put some more up tomorrow.

Haven't any pictures of the restored Steyr, and not sure if his was the red one which turned up at a Scottish auction a while back, probably was.

These are truly awesome, thanks for posting and I'm very much looking forward to the next instalment.

This kind of thing just reaffirms what I've always maintained, that I was born about 40 years too late, I mean everything was so much better in those days wasn't it?*

13 hours ago, Tartan58 said:

....This kind of thing just reaffirms what I've always maintained, that I was born about 40 years too late, I mean everything was so much better in those days wasn't it?*

We seem to have had a lot less disposable income (remember exchange controls?) and less material wealth, yet seemed to stretch it further.

11 hours ago, lexi said:

Brilliant pics. Can you tell me what equipment you used for scanning?

Sure, was a Canon 9000f scanner, I'm very impressed with it.  I'll put some more on tonight, meanwhile here's a taster of some of the type of things he was smoking around in 50 odd years ago.  Strangely enough, whilst he seemed to have a thing about Jags (probably because they were fast and stinking cheap at the time, he used to buy E-types for £150), he preferred French and Italian stuff.

jag.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg