Numbers car collect ion thread.

Lacquer Peel

Just caught up with this, not so good on the rot but glad it is living on!

The Range in Falkirk retail park is good for cheap branded car polishing stuff.

A quick mop, some tyre dressing and e-bay colour matched paint should see it looking spruce for less than 30 quid. Happy to come over with my DA polisher, should be done in about an hour :)

Just caught up with this, not so good on the rot but glad it is living on!
The Range in Falkirk retail park is good for cheap branded car polishing stuff.
A quick mop, some tyre dressing and e-bay colour matched paint should see it looking spruce for less than 30 quid. Happy to come over with my DA polisher, should be done in about an hour
I will pay you for this service.

It's all fixed now, very efficient. Just needs a retest now.

The car reeks of oil/smoke in the cabin and was giving me a headache on long journeys. The top of the engine looks very oily.

Intercooler removed. White sealant on the intercooler mating face isn't a good sign - it makes a whooshing noise on boost and feels languid off boost. That seal is definitely leaking judging by the stour everywhere. I ordered a 'D' seal in preparation for this job but it's not here yet and I rushed in.

White sealant on the head too. Why bother when the valve cover gasket is about a fiver and easy to come by?

OILY. f657a9ee2381981b2a81b81fa924f465.jpg

88d6eb087f346a04b7f9af8f38ce1efa.jpg

ae6530cf0ed3d0a2f3f01b81c005edb1.jpg

Is there any possibility of fitting a front intercooler to these? or would it mean lots of silly pipework?

I'm not a fan of top intercooler, heat soak and restrictions a plenty looking at the metal pipe with the D on it.

Is there any possibility of fitting a front intercooler to these? or would it mean lots of silly pipework?
I'm not a fan of top intercooler, heat soak and restrictions a plenty looking at the metal pipe with the D on it.
Yes there is, using Xantia or 406 pipework and some custom bits - the top mounted intercooler works okay, there isn't a lot to gain by front mounting it unless you're going for big power.

Looks like this has found the right home

Very appealing

It's a bit of a shed and I feel like I've regressed to 10 years ago, messing about with stinking XUDs.

It's good to drive though, I love throwing it around corners. I know it's not a sports car but the handling/ride/steering feel balance is excellent for a regular car.

Even the ancient XUD is redeemable, current MPG is around 50 and it just sounds nicer than modern 4 cylinder direct injection diesels.

Good luck with the collection!

I've only just caught up with this thread, well done for saving the Meridian!!! I have done many, many miles in one my old man bought that we used for work purposes up and down the country. They really are a comfy, sure footed little motor for eating up the miles. I'm still astounded to this day how right they got the auto wipers to work on these little cars, they really can be beneficial in some situations with lots of standing water around.

I was at Pugfest again last week and enjoy sitting up by the S's and watching the cars getting faster and faster during the day as people do more and more runs to the point they start getting the entry speed just a little too high and having to sort it out.  My mate and I are convinced that the 306's out of all the pug stuff you see go up there iron out the S's with less fuss than any of the other models. Glad to see someone else enjoying them anyway, my sister bought a Kingfisher green 5 door at the weekend, bringing her 306 count up to 3 at the mo!

2 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

I thought these modern trains would have plugs available at all seats. Will my phone make it? 06ccefe794f0c55d25e02b3c9440ef61.jpg

Sometimes just by the doors joining carriages, you can find a socket 'not for public use' 

I've always wondered if there's a difference in the electricity supplied... ?

38 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

I've always wondered if there's a difference in the electricity supplied... ?

considering the multi voltage capabilities of a modern phone charger (100V-250V)

even if the socket supplied something weird like 150V you would be fine to use it LOL (although i hold no responsibility if your phone charger blows up or if you get chucked off the train LOL)