Numbers car collect ion thread.

Lacquer Peel

I need another XUD, missing the Rover already. 
Never tried a 306, what's the driving position like? 
The seat sits a bit too high for me but that's true of most cars because I have a long back. It's comfy and without a sunroof there's plenty of headroom. The accelerator pedal is at a weird angle for me, true of 405s as well. I give the driving position 7/10

I always wanted to love my 306s but could never get comfy in them. I think they are brilliant cars really good looking, drive nicely and fairly spacious.

It's a bit like xantias - love the concept struggle with them in real life.

12 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Aye it is. If I'm cautious the Lucas pump will be okay on veg for now.It does have half leather seats but the driver's side one is not that nice any more.

Aye, you should be fine at these mild temperatures! 

Would be interested in lending a hand when you swap the pump over, might be handy having the Bosch pumped 405 alongside for reference too. 

That front bumper could be carefully removed, sanded down, primed, painted and lacquered DIY for about £50 of paint and about 6 hours of your life I reckon. Metallics are hard to do IMHO, at least DIY and the car would be out of action for at least 2 days while you did it to allow for drying time between the primer coat and top coats. Lacquer could be added later but is an awful lot easier to do with the bumper off the car with all trim removed.

if it was me, I'd be offering the breakers in Northumberland £60 for their one - it'll cut down the time involved to (I guess) about an hour or two tops, and there will be no mucking about with paint drying, and an unusable car, while the bumper is removed for prep, primer, paint and lacquer.

The scabby door and rear panel below the light will be a lot easier. Rub it right down to the metal, mask the window rubber and remove the light cluster, and one 400ml rattle can of the right colour on top of Vactan will see that right. probably £20 of primer and topcoat and it'll be passable, especially as the areas aren't very big. I have a 98% unused bottle of Vactan I can post to you FOC if you are happy posting it back when you're done with it? See my amateur paintjobs in the Celica and Daewoo threads for examples of the sort of finish a fud like me can achieve.

EDIT TO ADD - depending how much of a masochist you are, I reckon you could spent a good amount of time re-spraying the 'spare' bumper into a really good one, without the pressure of having to have it back on the car to actually drive it. Not sure how easy it'd be to re-sell the breaker one afterwards though. That said, I reckon demand for 306 front bumpers can't be massive these days, lending strength to lowballing the breaker in Northumberland. £60 cash waved at them and muttering about there being a "very limited market for these parts nowadays" ought to clinch it

Thanks for the tips Stanky, I might take you up on that offer once I get the rattle cans.

I've been driving the 306 a bit more today and really like the way it darts around corners, its comfy seats and ride quality. Finding the XUD9TE's narrow sweet spot and trying to keep it there is fun too. It could do with a bit more power but it goes well enough.

Not so good: the trim rattles.

They do rattle don't they? In fact all the Peugeot's I've had have had rattles. 

I had one and liked it, but driving it round 30 limit roads really wasn't in keeping with the spirit of the 306, and the clutch was getting really heavy. 

Did they do them with the HDI 110? Not as much old school lag and clatter though.

42 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:
45 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:
I like 306's alot however the rear beams and Boeing wheels put me off

Bowing? The rear beam on this one is spot on. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Yes that was the auto correct on this Samsung that changed it automatically and I'd only realised reading it back now....

Re rear beams yes that puts me off otherwise fantastic cards. I had a 306 sedan for a while in blue (slightly lighter than yours) and was a pre facelift phase 1. Had a 1.9td engine not hdi (I dont know what engine code that would have been) but it was rapid - a car I wish I hadn't parted with.

Edit - done it again with cards* CARS above

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

It's getting welded, the quote to do the job isn't too bad and it's otherwise solid. Can't believe how crumbly those areas are on both sides, previous bad jacking habits I guess.

I've always found 90's/2000's pugs to stand up well to rot in general, but then once it starts in a concentrated area, it really starts. 

Glad it's living on, will soon start repaying itself when you get the veg going through it.