Rover 414 when HHR met SLi

chompy_snake

I know that this Xantia has done the rounds on here a bit but I was in the market for another after the white GLF spec estate.

IMG_20190602_205750.thumb.jpg.69a9b54f3da243067ba9eb55cd10c5a1.jpg

I have managed to fix the AWOL fuel gauge by repairing all the dry solder joints on the clock pack.

Treated the old bus to some new front brake pads. At some point it looks like there has been the offside changed along with new caliper but not the nearside? Hard to say when pads are so old but one side worn considerably more.

The rear is sometimes a little sinky when parked for an hour or more but except for a very slightly damp rear height corrector all seems fine.

I think the accumulator sphere is pooped as the pump sometimes runs constantly without a tick time, although I can't see a date stamp on the sphere so guess it could have degassed.

Overall this one is a credit to the people that have owned it as mechanically it's about as good as it can be.

Totally loving the old girl. 

IMG_20190616_223434.thumb.jpg.9ba3ff617eda06f6d4a9f3e1d8b6d02c.jpg

1 minute ago, HillmanImp said:

The Mk1s are really lovely looking cars aren't they?

Nothing else like them, the hatch is the best looking and stands out a mile.

Just now, chaseracer said:

Didn't Bub have this for five minutes or so, last week...? ?

I have had this about 2 weeks now I think (I lose track of time easily).

I believe it was emergency get home transport because the BMW did a whoopsie with the clutch while on holiday.

Just now, HMC said:

Lovely car, I had it barely any time at all but it was a good steer and had had a lot of care lavished on it. This could well be the car with the most forum keepers I think?

I know the white estate I had was well up there with at least 9 forum owners (I was 2 of them lol)

2 minutes ago, HMC said:

Lovely car, I had it barely any time at all but it was a good steer and had had a lot of care lavished on it. This could well be the car with the most forum keepers I think?

I think the Colt was the most. No idea on the number of AS owners on this xantia but the red forum XJ6 (MFV) must be pretty high in owner count now. 

I did buy it as a get home measure in a bind on holiday when the BMW died. Only sold it though as had insurance payout from the crash. Im currently awaiting a brand new car being delivered this Friday. I would have kept it in all honesty due to being good mpg and a large car but brand new car etc means I sold it on. 

I did the caliper a year ago as it was stuck, but the other side seemed all good at the time so got left. In hindsight I should have kept this as it's a much nicer steer than my current one, which feels generally quite worn out at 215k. This gold one deffo has a lot of life left in it and I'm glad to see its still being used and enjoyed.

If chompy tunes it like the white xantia it'll be a fucking hoot! 

I do feel slightly bad that the original xantia of many shiters ended its journey with me, however it was quite rusty, and did throw its engine internals out of its arse 6 months after I sold it. However it will live on, eventually its new owner intends to make one good one using it and his other even more fucked white xantia sx estate, using the shell from our one. I think progress is slow though... (some of you probably know the guy who owns it, Richie, member of the Gay Classic car club, Co owns a unit with Cyanide Steve. 

We already have plans and tuning is being approached differently.

It already has a slightly increased boost fuel and decat. 

I have the turbo from my S60 2.0 which intentions are to fit as compound with the standard setup and use the 11mm pump head and can plate from a 300tdi pump.

The car has got to remain standard and as quiet as possible with maintenance being key.

By maintenance I mean regular and thorough.

In other news, the engine mount is swapped, but ..... f47422735ba8c1b871df4d5f338967e5.thumb.jpeg.7c25c794fa885fc59fad37bec0b72b43.jpeg

Part number 7 (96 132 379) suspension buffer has took a fair beating with the collapsed mount and needs to be replaced.

Citroen want £28 and a 4 day wait .. currently sourcing elsewhere if possible.

Then to top of the day it seems the engine cooling fan is inop and luckily I caught it at 100degrees before it cooked. Oddly the AC side of the circuit is 100% fine although not strong enough to keep the temps down in heavy traffic or prolonged idle.

Not all bad really 

2 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Is it early enough to avoid an ECU? I think late XUDs in Xantias and 406s are more difficult to tune for that reason.

Sort of.

It has the AS3 semi electronic Bosch pump and the ECU is only really for emisions and the egr side really. You can tune the AS3 semi electric and make it fully manual if you wish (I did it with the white one).

I never had any issues just getting rid of the ECU controls from the xantia pump and running tuned, it never complained and neither has this one.

The biggest gain to be had is from the boost fuelling. I haven't turned up the max fuel on this and won't unless I can get enough air in to avoid huge smoke. What I have done is moved onto the steepest pin setting and decked the star wheel. The reason for the decat was the cat was blocked and the reason for the boost increase (and it wasn't much) was to reduce the on boost smoke.

It's not as fast as the white one but it's well on its way. It also still looks stock and sounds very near to stock. 

Today a bad thing happened .... 

IMG_20190620_192826.thumb.jpg.6588329744dccdcbf6dceeb773a5e610.jpg

That used to be the top part of the right hand side engine mount!

Problem now is that Citroen have discontinued this part and while I have found one for sale it will be above a week.

So my mate has made a temporary item...

IMG_20190620_193243.thumb.jpg.d568a553f401642dfd659ad1d76ac8cd.jpg

And it's all because of this ..    

IMG_20190620_193252.thumb.jpg.fad59ab2fcff295f8b278ae02a4359ef.jpg

Many hhhhhhhhhh but she battles on.

I find myself with a dilemma 

I can get the part for the xantia to keep the engine Inside the bay where it belongs but it's not going to be cheap. I say this because upon closer inspection it has also torn the dog leg on the box and the gearbox mount when the engine made a bid for freedom during it's impressive reconstruction of a scene from Braveheart the movie.

I also have sat my Volvo toy, which for 3 weeks has been patiently waiting for it's new driveshaft and other balljoint to be fitted.

I am considering laying the xantia up for a few weeks while I sort the Volvo. But the insurance will have my pants down (yet again) for swapping motors constantly.

Scrapping the S60 seems to not be an option as if I was going to it would already be gone..... It's one of those 2.0 5cyl turbos in manual so not too common really.

What would others shiters suggest the best option?

A) fix Volvo and start using again, lay xantia up until fixed.

2) Fix Xantia and put Volvo back to bottom of queue

Or 

C) increase the fleet and have 3 broken cars and never fix any of them? 

Stroke of luck this evening.

I managed to find the remains of a 405 1.9td being broken in Leeds . Although the engine had sold long ago, he kept back the top mount and suspension buffer!

£28 and a trip to Leeds later and she was all fixerated at the roadside. The guy I bought the parts from even helped.

The Volvo has been shelved for a little while longer until I can afford to overhaul the front suspension and replace driveshafts.

• 2 weeks later...