Retro Cars - new/re-jigged magazine of interest!

fatharris

Cheers for the link, my “local” stockist is 27 miles away so subscription it is. Looks good, My last regular mag was Max Power lol, I did briefly try the new Performance Ford but it was utter crap. I think this is more my level these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, fatharris said:

Main editor/contributor is Craig Cheetham, not sure if he's on here, but he's well known in MGRover circles as well as gaining a bit of a reputation for being a Battersea Dogs home for unloved MGRs - one feature is a project ZS he got for free off someone's driveway emoji16.png

There's also input from Tom Barnard and Sam Skelton.

Craig is also the new owner of the Death Rowver as of today. 

Crazy fool. 

IMG_20190527_112550.thumb.jpg.4f117bb6d7412b007febaf451d8cfa67.jpg

Just finished reading my copy of the magazine. Particularly impressed by the Reader's Cars section. I think I'll submit a photo of The Volvo and a few lines of gibberish about it in time for the next issue :)

Pawnote: does anyone else remember Craig Cheetham writing a Staff Car Saga for Practical Classics in the late 1990s when he was on work experience at the magazine? He was a serial Allegro owner back then :D

6 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Just had a quick scout about, and this is the best offer. It's a Father's Day special, so I wouldn't linger. £19.46 for six issues.

https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/subOffer/fd19rca/source/fd19rca 

Another  subscriber snared here, and I even bought the current issue too cos too lazy to find it in the shoppies

On 6/16/2019 at 5:20 PM, dollywobbler said:

Just had a quick scout about, and this is the best offer. It's a Father's Day special, so I wouldn't linger. £19.46 for six issues.

https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/subOffer/fd19rca/source/fd19rca 

Done it, looks a site better value than the 43 quid for the MGOC. 

On 18 June 2019 at 10:14 PM, sierraman said:

.... I’d be right assuming you can obtain it in the WH Smith’s in the 5th largest city in the U.K.? 

You'll be doing better than me. I've yet to find it at any WHS in the largest city. Admittedly Ealing WHS hasn't helped by moving to smaller premises this month and reducing the number of mags stocked....

On 6/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, Shep Shepherd said:

Just finished reading my copy of the magazine. Particularly impressed by the Reader's Cars section. I think I'll submit a photo of The Volvo and a few lines of gibberish about it in time for the next issue :)

Pawnote: does anyone else remember Craig Cheetham writing a Staff Car Saga for Practical Classics in the late 1990s when he was on work experience at the magazine? He was a serial Allegro owner back then :D

Yep, I do! He had an Ambassador too, around that time.

Cheers for the heads-up - think I'll be checking this one out too!

I feel the same as many - it's been a while since I've regularly bought or subscribed to any car mags (not since Classic Motoring Review went under last year, although MotorPunk is a good read) and if there's a decent spread of informative and entertaining articles, then I'm in...

I remember buying Issue 1 of Retro magazine in about 1996 - which initially seemed to be focused on wobbly old nails and other automotive oddities, but within a few issues started to feature more Italian exotica and sports stuff, so I stopped buying it... am I right in thinking it then morphed into Retro Cars?

Either way, Issue 1 came with a large free sticker which I stuck on the spine of my lever arch file at school, earning me the nickname 'Retro Tim', by which some people still refer to me...

45 minutes ago, Peter C said:

I’ve subscribed at the father’s day rate but there was no mention of a free socket set. Have I missed out?

Father's day offer was £19 with no socket set. Normal offer is £22 with socket set. Googling the brand and seeing images of the socket set, I think you'll be better spending that three quid on a pint. 

12 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

....I remember buying Issue 1 of Retro magazine in about 1996 - which initially seemed to be focused on wobbly old nails and other automotive oddities, but within a few issues started to feature more Italian exotica and sports stuff, so I stopped buying it... am I right in thinking it then morphed into Retro Cars?.....

It also spawned the subsidiaries Retro BMW (died a couple of years ago) and Retro Ford (still going, although some issues have occasionally bordered on the Max Power).

Other magazines that seem to have died a death in recent years include Performance French. Ealing WHS probably saw what was coming and declined to stock it!

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Father's day offer was £19 with no socket set. Normal offer is £22 with socket set. Googling the brand and seeing images of the socket set, I think you'll be better spending that three quid on a pint. 

Yes I thought the same, but it's better than what I've got now!  Next autojumble I'll get myself a decent old stock wrench.

Picked up a copy of the rebooted magazine over lunchtime, from the big Easons store in central Belfast...

20190621_140628.thumb.jpg.c10af4780dea35b431a0105470b099fc.jpg

Even a quick flick-through reveals a number of familiar names and faces in there!

But yes, the content really is quite good - particularly interested in the 'Class of '89' repmobiles feature, the German brochures retrospective, and the feature cars themselves, which fit nicely in with the general ethos of this place...

Jalopy Magazine for the twenty-first century? Quite possibly.

At £22 for a subscription, it'd be rude not to... I like the direction this is going, and I haven't been drawn to a mag on a newsagent's shelf for yonks.

And yes, going by the editorial it does seem to be the same publication that I first bought in 1996.

Which is cool and scary at the same time.