MK1 BX16 TRS 'SE' - Make it or break it, a tale of neglect and fondling

Tomtation

Evening folks, spent an hour or so fettling this evening, accomplished a couple of things and had a pleasant time, with a suitable cold hop-based beverage for these heat-wave fettling conditions. On inspection, this car is WAAAAY more complex in the engine bay than my 19GT, the autobox seems to have all sorts of water and vacuum pipes all over the place, the a/c pipes look quite similar to these and there are bundles of little vacuum pipes, that go all over the place!

I put another 5L of petrol in the tank, to help dilute the ancient petrol, it seemed to help - it only stalled today because I put the choke in too early! I adjusted the throttle cable too, it was so slack that the cable would jump out of its tracks, although it's stiff at least it doesn't have play. I also thought I’d have a quickie lookie at the ignition components:

Dizzy cap - yup! Needs replacing!

NWEsN0Pl.jpg

Rotor arm, doesn’t look too bad but will replace anyway as they're hardly bank-breaking and it looks like it's been chewing on the inside of the dizzy cap housing. Dizzy cap definitely not sat right looking at the wear.

5AL47dnl.jpg

Far left and middle left spark plugs, uneven wear and both sooty and oil. Will replace these, along with the HT leads which are very stiff and may well fail anyway (if they aren't contributing to the misfire, especially under load)

0rKv8mpl.jpg

Any guesses as to what this means? I'm assuming it could be cambelt change? Whatever it is it was done at 79,85? km which is 20k ago, but likely 10 years or more! Cambelt would need doing as a precautionary measure anyway before it was put into much use.

3XuQbLel.jpg

I found a leak! It runs from the accumulator/FDV to the LHM reservoir so think it must be a return line, as it only drips a tiny bit. Not too worried about this, it already looks like someone has put a rubber hose over the normal metal pipe, I cut a milk bottle up to act as a drip catcher.

ltK5tOwl.jpg

Anyone know what the two following things are? They aren't on my GT so I’m hoping they're to do with the autobox or less hoping - a/c. The first thing is the dome shaped thingy just to the right of the sphere, and the second thing is above and left of the green breather pipe union.

GHvvUy2h.jpg

qjZk9NHh.jpg

Both have vacuum attachments, the first has 3 vacuum hoses, at least 2 attach to the second thing. The second thing appears to have a movable membrane thingy underneath it that attaches to the carb, it has an electrical connection to the relay that is attached to the a/c compressor, quite a few vacuum hoses that I didn't write down where they attach to.

I'll get on and order some ignition parts, and an air filter in the morning. I meant to look at the lights and other MOT consumables but time was getting on. Perhaps I’ll have time at the weekend.

2 minutes ago, Tomtation said:

Assume i'm a total electrical noob Matt, what do you mean by continuity - the voltage given when using a multimeter on the pressure switch? I think I saw the dryer behind the RHS headlight (when looking at the engine from the front), it did have a dome attached to it that had a plug/wires etc, this is the pressure switch I take it? (apologies for quesitons and lack of knowledge!).

Use the resistance setting on your multimeter (although there may also be a setting which beeps when you touch the two probes together). Unplug the pressure switch from the car loom - yes, the dome with wires on the R/D.

Terminals 1 and 2 there should be close to zero resistance between them IF the system pressure is OK. Terminals 3 and 4 there should be infinite resistance between them unless the system pressure rises too high. My suspicion is that there will be infinite resistance between all terminals though...

Ok, so looking at service citroen, i'm almost certain that thingy 2 is the idle vacuum unit. Is it only at idle that extra fuel would be required when the a/c is on, or if the car is in Drive and stopped? Otherwise (on the move) I guess that your foot would be injecting the extra fuel required for a/c.

3 hours ago, Joey spud said:

From my days working for PSA i am fairly sure these didn't have taper seat plugs fitted to them.

Hmmm, interesting. I plan on putting new plugs on my GT and swapping the nearly new GT's plugs to this TRS, so will be interesting so see if they are tapered or not. Could explain some of the misfire!

On 7/24/2019 at 9:38 AM, They_all_do_that_sir said:

If you want the aircon for traveling abroad, would it not be handier keeping it in the LHD car?

I would be tempted to see just how badly this fails an MOT and just do a bit of renovation to make it reliable.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

I only really have room, funds and permission for one extra car (for the forseebale, much sadness...). So that car will be my rather special BX GT, I've already spent a LOT of time, effort and not a small amount of beer tokens on it - it is a forever car this one. Hence my wish to make as pleasant a place as can be, so a/c is a must, as is a better sound system (MK1 BX's are awful in that department) including adding extra sound insulation to the shell as I do various jobs on it. Here she is, on the Citroen Classic Challenge 2017, although she has the wrong wheel trims on here - I have the originals but they are very tatty and will be refurbed at some point!

DSC00476.thumb.JPG.76c221d760e4c14cc7c215f69546165a.JPG

In TRS news, I moved it out of the way, to the corner of the drive this morning as we have builders coming to erect scaffolding for some work on the house. Whilst it's up, we'll do a couple of jobs too, like guttering, soffits, fascias and repointing the chimney (like I don't have enough to do just now!).  Although it did move and is idling better (as long as you don;t touch the throttle), it kept stalling - I ordered new ignition parts yesterday so want to get them on to see if they help/fix it etc. Also not sure if the fans are working, the engine and water pipes all felt quite hot but no fans - fan switch possible at fault here? When my mutlimeter arrives I could check it! Exciting! Also, the battery is being discharged - so the alternator or wiring is not working methinks.

Whatever system is used for helping the idle when it's in drive/reverse certainly does work! The first time it stalled, but the second it rocketed backwards when I put it in reverse as the idle went up a fair bit - too much I think! There is also a creaking noise coming from under the rear footwells when in drive/reverse - if it were RWD i'd suspect prop bearings or 'box output bearings etc, but as a FWD car I don't know. Might there be a gearbox mount back there that is complaining?

I'm hoping to swap the nearly new iginition parts from the GT to this at the weekend, in the hope it'll run better, Must get that LHM leak sorted too, it's growing!

I only really have room, funds and permission for one extra car (for the forseebale, much sadness...). So that car will be my rather special BX GT, I've already spent a LOT of time, effort and not a small amount of beer tokens on it - it is a forever car this one. Hence my wish to make as pleasant a place as can be, so a/c is a must, as is a better sound system (MK1 BX's are awful in that department) including adding extra sound insulation to the shell as I do various jobs on it. Here she is, on the Citroen Classic Challenge 2017, although she has the wrong wheel trims on here - I have the originals but they are very tatty and will be refurbed at some point!
DSC00476.thumb.JPG.76c221d760e4c14cc7c215f69546165a.JPG
In TRS news, I moved it out of the way, to the corner of the drive this morning as we have builders coming to erect scaffolding for some work on the house. Whilst it's up, we'll do a couple of jobs too, like guttering, soffits, fascias and repointing the chimney (like I don't have enough to do just now!).  Although it did move and is idling better (as long as you don;t touch the throttle), it kept stalling - I ordered new ignition parts yesterday so want to get them on to see if they help/fix it etc. Also not sure if the fans are working, the engine and water pipes all felt quite hot but no fans - fan switch possible at fault here? When my mutlimeter arrives I could check it! Exciting! Also, the battery is being discharged - so the alternator or wiring is not working methinks.
Whatever system is used for helping the idle when it's in drive/reverse certainly does work! The first time it stalled, but the second it rocketed backwards when I put it in reverse as the idle went up a fair bit - too much I think! There is also a creaking noise coming from under the rear footwells when in drive/reverse - if it were RWD i'd suspect prop bearings or 'box output bearings etc, but as a FWD car I don't know. Might there be a gearbox mount back there that is complaining?
I'm hoping to swap the nearly new iginition parts from the GT to this at the weekend, in the hope it'll run better, Must get that LHM leak sorted too, it's growing!
Understandable. That is a honey

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Tomtation said:

.....adding extra sound insulation to the shell .......

In TRS news....... not sure if the fans are working, the engine and water pipes all felt quite hot but no fans - fan switch possible at fault here? ......

Whatever system is used for helping the idle when it's in drive/reverse certainly does work! The first time it stalled, but the second it rocketed backwards when I put it in reverse as the idle went up a fair bit - too much I think!.....

Dynamat for sound insulation?

Fans could be fan switch, or connections or cabling. I had a new fan switch included with the new radiator when the gearbox was rebuilt, but didn't know until last weekend that the female spade connectors (three on mine) on the cabling were about to fail. I happened to check only to find they'd gone brittle and snapped off in my hand. Managed to cobble together a temporary connection using suitable sections from an old hairclip plus insulating tape for now, but will need to solder on new connectors hopefully this weekend, assuming I don't forget which cable goes where (I've ordered a pack of clip-on cable number markers so I don't forget which is which!).... 

What's the state of your gearbox fluid?

1 hour ago, DSdriver said:

Wasn't there something in Einstein's Theory of Relativity about fucked distributor caps and sooty plugs?

If you have a misfire, on the next combustion stroke you have potentially more fuel in the cylinder (some will be expelled on the exhaust stroke but without an explosion, gas flow will be slower) so could cause the appearance of a rich mixture.

Haven't forgotten about your headlights BTW! Just need to package them.

A higher than desirable idle speed when the actuator kicks in (for drive/reverse or AC) is likely to be an air leak in the associated pipework, only becoming a factor when the valve is open.

Creak could be rear arm bearings?

Thanks Matt - don't rush with the headlights, it's unlikely to be ready for a provisional test for a week or two, it needs a proper clean (especially inside) and the LHM leak sorting amongst other things, first. Pretty sure it'll fail on brakes and tyres at the very least!

Thanks for the other info, all very useful.

My training officer for the work i'm completing to advacne at work wants this Portfolio completed by next Friday! Whilst this is theoretically possible, it means I will be doing nothing else this weekend and all next week, so the TRS will have to wait, which is a bugger as all the ignition parts arrived yesterday and i'm trying very hard not to go and play! I've ordered a thermostat too, for paranoia's sake.

On the plus side next weekend is looking quite free at the moment!

10 hours ago, fatharris said:

Wow, what a thread! Great read, had highs, lows and a learning experience.

Think this will be quick out the doors once it's registered/MOT'd.

It certainly has been something! The date by which Vehicle-logistics247 has to reply to the court case is Monday, it'll be interesting to see if he does reply. I could really do with that money back! Fingers crossed it'll get as far as an MOT, all sorts of paperwork is required to register an imported car (the same form is used for new car registrations, which it seems mostly geared for), I also have to provide a letter from a "suitable authority" as to why I don't have the original registration document...

Ok, so I made really good progress with my studies today and so I treated  myself to an hour of tinkering. I replaced the HT leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap, installed the air filter and bodged/taped the carb to air filter housing pipework as it was split. Although there was quite a nice induction hum, even at idle with no air filter etc.

Difference? Slightly smoother idle, but still died on me once and still a missfire under load. Spark plgs have arrived, but I want to take the ones from my GT to put in this TRS and put the expensive ones i've just bought in the GT ?. Maybe they'll have an impact? I hope so. I plan on getting some carb cleaner stuff too, and spray the shit out of it - just incase the carb is gummed up which is causing the stalling.

I also have a suspicion that it's burning water, there is a fine white/grey haze out of the exhaust when you rev it a bit, i'd written this off as unburnt fuel as it's often missing when you rev it but the coolant level has gone down a fair bit for only perhaps 20-30 mins of running time since i've had it. Will monitor.

I'll put some more fuel in when I get paid next week! I think it is charging, when I first started it the batter light was on, but a blip with the throttle saw it go off - and it turned ocer nice and fast this evening so at least that is one thing I hopefully don't have to worry about. I went through all the gears whilst stationary today and the revs didn't jump up, or the car lurch off so that is an improvement - I'm itching to take it for a spin!

Is this a belt or chain driven cam? Maybe check the cam timing, that was the problem with the Mazda 323 on here that displayed similar symptoms.

Why was the car laid up in the first place, do you think it could have been hgf, hence the burning coolant now?

Apologies if this has all been mentioned before!

2 hours ago, spartacus said:

Is this a belt or chain driven cam? Maybe check the cam timing, that was the problem with the Mazda 323 on here that displayed similar symptoms.

Why was the car laid up in the first place, do you think it could have been hgf, hence the burning coolant now?

Apologies if this has all been mentioned before!

It's a belt driven cam, not sure if I have the funds to get the belt done before the MOT, maybe i'll have time after, when it's relocated to sit next to it's bigger and better sibling - my GT. I did the belt on the GT, so this should be about the same.

Not sure why it was laid up initially, I didn't check when I bought it as I assumed it was borked. i'll text the seller. I've been putting off texting him because of my phone bill! He doesn't do emails, so text is the ony option I think (not sure I want to suggest whatsapp, if emails are a no-go). Could well have been HGF given the condition of the rest of it.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:17 AM, Lacquer Peel said:

That BX GT is beautiful, I'd love to see more photos of it.

Sir Lacquer Peel, check out my blog on the BXClub forum on this link for all the challenges and awesomeness we've had together! I've not had a car longer than this one, I love it to bits and want to be as good and as nice a place to be as I can ?

Known, good spark plugs fitted to the TRS. Brand new shiny ones in the GT, also stole the GT's battery cos although it needs charging the BFO ambulance one in the TRS doesn't let the bonnet shut properly, and it being plastic will likely warp!

Didn't start it cos it's getting late and the neighbours were having their dinner, their dining roon window opens out onto the drive and if I was eating my dinner and some plonker started running a manky old piece of french tat just outside my dining room window i'd be cross, well i'd be cross if I couldn't go and have a poke about after dinner anyway.

Will get some carb cleaner this week and update with current running situation. Really must look at getting that LHM leak fixed, it is getting worse each time the engine runs.

*overly dramatic sigh* miss my lovely GT, it is such a nice car.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, sorry i've been super busy recently. So for an update. the first transporter that didn't actually do anything but take my money never even responded to the court documents! The next step is a request for a CCJ (County Court Judgement, if like me you didn't know what that was), which I have done. The courts are deciding whether to issue the CCJ or not, I should know by the 20th. It's all a bit silly really, a simple refund could have avoided the whole situation, or even better - doing the job in the 1st place!

This is the negative feedback I left, and their response. I laughed initially, but was then cross. I mean, firstly spelling, then also punctuation.

"Failed to collect the car on three agreed dates, with no communication to notify me, apologise or explain - so the seller was hanging around for hours each time waiting for a pick-up that never materialised. Refund requested, which was ignored and now I cannot get in contact with them, so I had to resort to legal action in the hope I get my money back, which is still in progress. DO NOT USE.
Reply From Vehicle-logistics247 (51) On 16/07/2019:
how dare you leave a review like that as you have had a full refund issued driver had an issue once collections your vehicle so we refunded full amount to youse disgrace"

This response cannot be removed, but Shiply have permanently suspended him from their site due to 8 negative feedbvack in the last month! He'll probably just rejoin with a different name, but will need to use a different address and email too, so should be effort for him.

In other news, life has taken a downward turn. I am starting a new role next week, and thought i'd compelted all the educational and other requirements to become state registered (as a Biomedical Scientist) and jump straight in - BUT NO! Apparently not, I have another year of distance studying/e-learning to do. Not quite sure how it happenned, seems to be a series of unfortunate events but I was livid last week when I found out. This means the TRS will have to be tucked away somewhere and ignored for a year, I can't get my other BX (my lovely GT) sorted, the Hearse will have to just plod on with no TLC and all house renovation will have to cease in 3 weeks time. Basically, i'll be coming home from work, having dinner and studying till bedtime and at the weekend locking myself in the study all day to, well, study. I've already done a year of this, and it was hard - everytime I had a social or family thing that I didn;t bail on, I got behind and then had to study twice as hard. Bring on next June!

So i've got a couple of weeks to fix the LHM leak, clean the carb and get the TRS some storage off of the drive - as the OH is getting pissed off at parking way down the road and hobbling to the house with shopping/work shit etc. Possibly a weekend update? I'd hoped to have some time last weekend, but I did the soffits and fascia's on the back of the house instead - i've still got the front to do, but I know what i'm doing now so should be quicker!

Update in-writing. ?

Anyone in somerset, close enough to Yeovil to transport this BX to snuggle with it's friend, my GT? Its only a couple of miles, to a farm between Yeovil and Sherborne. Beer tokens provided of course. Would rather pay a shiter, instead of the guy in Yeovil i used last time i moved a car. This coming week preferable.