Home made trackers.

Cavcraft

Recall someone on here mentioning making a tracking device using a mobile 'phone wired into the battery of your vehicle, but can't find the thread/post. Can someone please explain in layman's terms how to do it and what's needed? TIA. 

1 minute ago, cobblers said:

There's not a lot of point nowadays when a proper reliable dedicated tracker is about thirty quid off amazon, and they have an output so you can remotely disable the fuel pump or set off the airbag in the thief's face 

This, really. Also, there are lots of cheap ones you could look at on Aliexpress et al.

Just looking on Amazon, and it's a minefield. Most seem to be either 2G or some sort of contract, is there one you can get that works with an app on your smart phone, i.e no new or different sim card required? 

I had a look at a few to use on a old phone , most seem to work by texting the phone which will return a link ....  some trackers work like this which is could be adequate ..

looking at the price of the trackers , its cheaper than using a smart phone and easier to hide and just buy a sim card that provides a tenners worth of texts .....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Likorlove-Vehicle-Tracker-Tracking-Motorcycle/dp/B078KTKQ79/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=car+tracker&link_code=qs&qid=1560244812&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-9

17 notes and a sim card !!

5 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Don't buy them from Aliexpress as the Chinese Govt are very interested in the comings and goings of beige chod and no doubt a whole dept of inscrutable mandarins will be tracking you. (copyright the Aluminium Foil Hatted Western Media).

I'm probably on some sort of list now as well.

There's some free apps which will let you track a phone (nominally to find your errant kids) and get approx location and/or previous locations. if you have an old phone with a giffgaff PAYG sim  (*other curries are available) it just need a poundshop USB charging cable bodged to 12V (other voltages are available) and somehere on the car where it can get a signal.  Clever stuff like screen locked so no display and some relay activated by the ring tone to stop the engine and lock the doors and activate the 300dB internal klaxon would be amusing if someone got a wrong number when the MOT man was testing the brakes.

Someone I know* was trying to fit one into a push bike frame as these are easily stolen and never recovered

I tie one end of a piece of string around the towing eye on the car and the other end to a fence post in my garden - if someone pinches the car I simply follow the piece of string.
What happens if they pinch the string? Do you follow the car?