Halfords Professional Socket Sets

davehedgehog31

5 minutes ago, chancer said:

Link in the original post on page 1, use the code for 20% off. 

the first post shows non ratchet spanners , your pic shows ratchet spanners , pliers and all sorts ...which is it ?

the link takes me to a set without ratchet spanners and pliers etc

15 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

the first post shows non ratchet spanners , your pic shows ratchet spanners , pliers and all sorts ...which is it ?

the link takes me to a set without ratchet spanners and pliers etc

Ive just noticed that! The set ive been given is totally different. The one in link is described as a 120 piece socket set. My box says 120 piece car maintenance tool set! 

15602762318654890884126581879683.jpg

6 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

whats the part number , cant see it online

does look a nicer set than the first link

I cant find it online either. 439243 i think was the item code. Quick google suggests its an obsolete kit that must have been gathering dust. Im not complaining cos as you say its a far superior kit

21 minutes ago, chancer said:

I cant find it online either. 439243 i think was the item code. Quick google suggests its an obsolete kit that must have been gathering dust. Im not complaining cos as you say its a far superior kit

Was being sold off for 50 quid recently on ebay but looks like stocks run out :(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halfords-Advanced-120-Piece-Car-Maintenance-Tool-Set-Socket-Screwdriver-Plier-/192324863126

Looks like some shops may still have some 'out back'

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4608833

2 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

That does look remarkably good value considering it has six sided sockets and a full set of ratchet spanners too...I’d have one of those for 50 notes like a flash for back of the van

Agreed. I hope one pops up in the future somewhere on eBay. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open.

If I were to go out tomorrow and buy a socket set say 1/2 drive I’d get Lasers set at £41 on eBay. 

Machine Mart Clarke Pro stuff has always worked well for me, I’ve a3/8 ratchet from there it’s maybe 15-17 years old, used all the time and it’s still working like new. Their sockets are excellent as well. On a budget Hilka are ok as well, I’ve some female torx sockets of theirs, although not the nicest feeling sockets they are tough enough. 

I'd most likely buy another biggish Halfords kit if I lost mine, because they include useful stuff apart from sockets - like a selection of torx and female torx (E - type) sockets, which are handy on newer cars.   Also, ratchet spanners, and 1/4 inch drive stuff that I'd probably not have bought otherwise.

It seems even better  value when you think the moulded case costs a tenner on its own.

Its such a bargain that I was even contemplating buying a set even though I already have 3 sets and no mechanical skills and how many Halfords ratchets does a man need but I’ve managed to talk myself out of it lol.

4DCE0362-7773-4E4E-8BA4-337135ED9AEA.png

I've got this set, bought maybe 8 years ago for 50 quid IIRC (so adjusted for inflation they're cheaper now). Nothing broken yet. I also have a rail of the Advanced 1/2" sockets to go with it as the normal sized sockets in the kit are 3/8". That, a breaker bar, a torque wrench, and a set of Advanced flexi ratchet spanners has got me through pretty much every car related job I've attempted (suspension/drivetrain aside).

I don't like the ratchet spammers, they are fatter and don't last long with grit in them.

Good when they work, but mine don't work long.

Won't replace ratchets at my place, "not included in lifetime guarantee sir". Perhaps they know what I use them for.

I  know some stores will change them, can anyone point me to a defining rule.

It does not state not to be used as a hammer... well not specifically 

Halfords Advanced Professional Hand Tools come with a Lifetime Guarantee

Should a Halfords Advanced Professional Hand Tool fail whilst being used for the purpose and in the manner for which it was designed, it will be inspected and replaced. Simply return the product to your nearest Halfords store and we will arrange a replacement for you.

• Misuse of the product will immediately invalidate the Lifetime Guarantee.
  • Discontinued items will be replaced with an equivalent product in terms of use and quality.
  • This guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.
  • Tool cases are not included in the guarantee

Misuse of the product.

Which is probably what they get me on.

There are many complaints on tinternet that moving parts are not covered, but I can't find this in any Halfords statement.

Maybe they take it off when the sale's on and put it back up when everyone takes a ratchet back :-D

7 hours ago, Mally said:

I don't like the ratchet spammers, they are fatter and don't last long with grit in them.

Good when they work, but mine don't work long.

Won't replace ratchets at my place, "not included in lifetime guarantee sir". Perhaps they know what I use them for.

I  know some stores will change them, can anyone point me to a defining rule.

Proof read.

On a related note Aldi have sets of a ratchet and 11 sockets on sale for £9.99 at the moment in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" flavours. I picked up the 3/8" set for a mate, and it seems pretty good for the price; decent finish on it, the ratchet has 72 teeth, and the sockets are 6 sided.

8 hours ago, Mally said:

There are many complaints on tinternet that moving parts are not covered, but I can't find this in any Halfords statement.

Maybe they take it off when the sale's on and put it back up when everyone takes a ratchet back :-D

They used to not include tools with moving parts in the lifetime guarantee. However in recent years they changed it to include them. 

I reckon try another store.