Halfords Professional Socket Sets

davehedgehog31

Thought this was quite a good deal and worth sharing;

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-120-piece-socket-set

£56 using the code "Toolsdad" at checkout, can be picked up in store. 

Comes with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch ratchet handles, 3/8 breaker bar, various metric and imperial sockets, a selection of impact sockets, male and female torx, ring spanners, spark plug sockets, screwdriver handle with bits and various other bits and pieces. 

Have owned the 3/8 set for about 10 years and it has held up to some serious abuse.

As Wingz says, seemingly a no quibble lifetime guarantee too... 

sockets.thumb.jpeg.cc01d1733c04fcde68f872357e1d5a77.jpeg

Halfords basic stuff for me has always snapped

Halfords advanced on the other hand has been great. Had one incident with a half inch ratchet where the mechanism inside snapped and I took it down and they replaced it there and then for me easy as that. 

Remember - Halfords Advanced = Lifetime guarantee

I've got the 200 piece set, the "black edition" otherwise known as the "lose all your bastarding tools edition", that I bought when I passed my test 3 years ago. Every problem I've ever had with it has been my own doing rather than a problem with the set itself. It has at least one 6 sided socket for every size I need. I'm thinking about treating myself to something a bit nicer as a "workshop" set and retiring it to living in the boot duties but honestly I'd just as soon get a second Halfords set!

The Halfords ratchets are bloody good value for money, the only times I reach for a Mac or Snap on is when I need a different length handle for access or a finer a tooth mechanism. For 99% of the time they are ideal.

I agree that the 12 sided sockets aren't great though, I can only think they include 12 siders instead of 6 to make up for fairly low tooth count ratchet.

I've had the 300 piece set for a few years now and it's ace. I always make sure I put everything back into its rightful place before packing up at night, so haven't lost any yet. 

Only gripe is that the torx female sockets don't stay in place when lifted and always fall about in the case. Happens to anyone else, or just a tolerance issue on my blown moulded case?

I've got quite a bit of Halfords Pro stuff, the best and most used are the open end/ratchet combi spanners; those have had some right hammer over the years and still going strong.

Also got a 1/4" drive socket set last year when eBay unexpectedly gave me a voucher - take sierraman's point about the 12 point sockets, but I've not rounded anything with them yet,

Same as everyone else, i think i have the one which is one up from this. The code works on that too, put stuff back when done and all i've lost is the allen keys which weren't great anyway. 

Pretty sure i read somewhere that it is sykes pickavant stuff rebranded, but i know when i killed one of the ratchets they replaced it with no quibble.

Top quality find and tools.

Just ordered it as it would be crazy not to even though I’ve probably got most of this. A few individual replacement items would get close to the value of the whole set.

Free delivery too.

Halfords professional tools are excellent quality irrespective of the price. 

I used Halfords Advanced alongside Snap-On when in the trade and they complemented each other very well. I think the Snap-On where slightly better, obviously more expensive but it kinda depends on the situation. Like for like the wrenches are longer, which is better until space is tight...

Thanks for the code as it’s really appreciated, I’ve now got 3 Halfords sets (two little sets in the boot of the chod motors) and the 150 piece set which I bought about 8 years ago but It did need a new case as the plastic clips broke on that one but the newer case  I bought has now been revised with metal clips so I no problems with that one.

Last week I bought the impact driver for doing the disks on the mini and because it wasn’t delivered to the store in time Halfords sent me an email with a 10 quid voucher so with your code and my voucher I’ve got a free set of the advanced torx screwdrivers.

I wouldn’t mind but I only paid £15 for the impact driver so very happy to get a freebie.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-170-piece-socket-ratchet-spanner-set

had mine about 7/8 years, been bloody good set, i do try to spray over with wd40 to keep moisture away, and have a old kids bed fleece cut off thats got progressivly oily that stops the stuff failing out the holes..

My set (which I think is the 150 piece, but quite old) has 6 sided impact sockets for the half inch 17 and 19mm, and all the deep sockets are 6 sided too.  I think those are the ones I use most often (to the extent the black coating is wearing off the impact sockets), which is possibly why it had never struck me that the 12 sided sockets were a problem.  

I haven't had any problems with the blow moulded case either, unless you count opening it upside down so all the sockets fall out.  

Got another set of Halfords advanced screwdrivers the other day... Got a set somewhere "in the garage of unstarted projects", anyway ordered new set £12.50 but if you ordered a Rolson 5m tape measure @ £1.50 = £14.00.... (use TOOLSDAD code) No, at the online checkout = £7.45... Result!