Saved Mazda 323

DoctorRetro

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

I should be an expert by now. ?

I'm older than you and beyond topping up the dashpot have never touched a carb. Most people don't even lift a bonnet, so keep learning and stay positive. It's one of the better threads.

It's all back together, but with a makeshift gasket made of card, like my dad used to do. ?

Seemingly running a bit better. Have set the mixture so it's not too rich and turned the idle down a bit. 

Can't really judge until I get a new gasket on there... 

Still need to cure the slight misfire, will order correct rotor arm tomorrow as it is payday. 

Also need to find out why it bogs down, either second choke isn't opening or perhaps vacuum advance isn't right. 

And now the auto choke is kaput, might have to convert to manual

I am considering a manual choke for mine... I have bought a 6O" bowden.

Also the whole set-up [working very well *atm] is complicated, with multiple vac controlled funtions (3 vac hoses on the Dizzy advance can) and 'auto power/enrichment' with vac control.... I see a veritable nest of hoses running around your carb too.

If you watch the 'weber upgrade' the VERY FIRST thing is dumping the LOT.... You need a single <unported>Vac hose to the Distributor + Petrol!!

I'm deffo going to disconnect the lot/blank off all holes & go Manual Choke. My main *bug, in the general running, is a tendency to just fluff- fluff-chufff... Die! without any warning at lights - starts straight up but I'm sure the AutoChoke is the root of it :(

Doing real well with this, m8 ;)

18 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Trouble is finding one.

I've been trying to find a part number for that, just to satisfy my mind, but catcar.info doesn't go back that far and rockauto isn't helping because I don't believe that the US market ever got the carb version of the b-series...

Is it the carb base gasket? It should be easy enough, if you can get to the manifold then cut a piece of the gasket paper that's about the right size, lay out in position then gently tap around the edges with the end of a screwdriver handle, it'll score the paper exactly where you need it cutting. Alternatively, lay it in position, then press around the edges with your grubby fingers, you'll have a clear witness mark to cut to.

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Unless a Weber you find is the specific model for your engine it might be more trouble than it's worth. Carb jetting is not as simple as being the same jet sizes for all  1500cc engines, or whatever. You could still end up with a poor running issue, the only benefit being that Weber jets are more*easily* available than Aisan.

I'm not knocking your perseverance though, keep it up please!

1 hour ago, spartacus said:

Is it the carb base gasket? It should be easy enough, if you can get to the manifold then cut a piece of the gasket paper that's about the right size, lay out in position then gently tap around the edges with the end of a screwdriver handle, it'll score the paper exactly where you need it cutting. Alternatively, lay it in position, then press around the edges with your grubby fingers, you'll have a clear witness mark to cut to.

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Unless a Weber you find is the specific model for your engine it might be more trouble than it's worth. Carb jetting is not as simple as being the same jet sizes for all  1500cc engines, or whatever. You could still end up with a poor running issue, the only benefit being that Weber jets are more*easily* available than Aisan.

I'm not knocking your perseverance though, keep it up please!

A standard 32/36 out the box is about right for 1.3 - 1.6 engines, but that would mean paying 300 quid plus. I've done this plenty of times before, especially on Ladas. 

I'm going to stick to the Aisan for now, and make up a template for the carb gasket, in case I need to make another. Or 6.