Back in a Cortina, ShiteRider returns...

ShiteRider

Not been on here since last year for reasons. Got this last month from Scotland. Four crap pictures and a description of "1982 ford cortina, no v5" was enough to have me snared. I bid what I had saved as a deposit on a new suzuki thinking it'd be to low to win due to omg osf tax...and well you can guess the rest.

IMG_20190527_120911.jpg

IMG_20190527_122808.jpg

IMG_20190527_121122.jpg

What the description missed was, It's a 1600 gl, with a seemingly genuine 58,000 miles and an immaculate interior. It has some localised grot in the from lower a pillers and the right side of the boot floor, but everthing else is light surface rust. It looks like it's has a sheet on it for years as the paint is worn thin on the top half. Not bad for £1300, but there was a brown mk2 cavalier which I wish i'd got instead.

4 minutes ago, HMC said:

Great buy! What happened to that “s” estate you had squirrelled away? I loved that.

I sold that ridiculously cheaply a couple of years ago (£800) as I was losing storage. Guy who got it flipped it the next week to his mate who probaly still has it as he's a cortina nutter, so it found a good home in the end. Think it maybe getting restored, it was on the road for a bit.

Slightly odd spec this, it's only a 1600 gl but whoever got originally ticked a few options. Crystal green metallic paint, sliding steel roof, door speakers,rear seat belts,mudflaps,electric aerial and it's been ziebarted to death all the cavities and panel seams are lashed with the stuff. Anyways pictures speak a thousand words...

That's a really solid and genuine looking mk5. They finally appear to have come of age. 

Previous estate owner, you say? Any photos? I used to drive my bosses mk5 estate and his mate's Cortina P100 every now and then in the early 90's. Cortina was a decent car to drive; the p100 was tail happy and way more fun than it should have been owing to the swapped in 2 litre Pinto and twin choke Webber. 

17 minutes ago, ShiteRider said:

Slightly odd spec this, it's only a 1600 gl but whoever got originally ticked a few options. Crystal green metallic paint, sliding steel roof, door speakers,rear seat belts,mudflaps,electric aerial and it's been ziebarted to death all the cavities and panel seams are lashed with the stuff. Anyways pictures speak a thousand words...

Crystal Green is one of my favourite mark 5 Cortina colours, along with Forest Green and Titan Blue. I'd love an optioned-out 1600 or 2000 GL or
GLS in any of those colours :)

Pretty solid underneath just the lower a pillar/inner sill rotting out both sides which i'm fairly sure will be blocked sunroof drains. Really dry underneath, no oil leaks anywhere, just some crumbling bushes to swap out  and check the brake and fuel lines. Runs well especially as its still on points and condenser. I won't mess with this one, i'll just do the basics and get running and driving spot on.

IMG_20190601_152141.jpg

IMG_20190601_152127.jpg

IMG_20190601_152031.jpg

IMG_20190601_152056.jpg

IMG_20190601_152209.jpg

IMG_20190601_152222.jpg

IMG_20190601_152246.jpg

I once bought a 2.3 Ghia that someone had done the chopped down Granada spoiler trick on, but they'd gone one further and picked out the 2 and half of the 8 in white paint so it read 2.3 although the other half of the 8 and the i were still there. It went in a skip, probably worth more than I paid for the complete Cortina these days.

Nice chrome wheel centres too, much classier than plastic mk5 ones.

46 minutes ago, ShiteRider said:

Sadly not. There are 'cortina vs capri' banger races plus bright spark thought the best way to celebrate the 2012 50th anniversary of the car was a 100 car demolition derby which was such good fun they've done it every year since.

Aye. Always a sad affair knowing they destruct so many of them year on year. No wonder there’s non about. Chap I know has a mk2 Granada estate ghia in almost salmon pink..... lovely car. 

1 hour ago, ShiteRider said:

Sadly not. There are 'cortina vs capri' banger races plus bright spark thought the best way to celebrate the 2012 50th anniversary of the car was a 100 car demolition derby which was such good fun they've done it every year since.

I try not to stick my neck out in banger racing conversations. Hearing that though is just plain IDIOCY. One hundred classic Fords (specifically Cortinas?)  destroyed annually for entertainment*? 

No wonder so many go missing. Utter lunacy.  

Make sure your gem is locked up tight. 

Cor, that's lovely. Top buying.!

Crystal Green metallic looks well on them, and I'm loving that green interior. My last Cortina estate was the same shade, but rather brown inside.

1853135889_FordCortina2.0GLatMinnowburn.jpg.373c99c5681492d9f6360f720e5078c8.jpg

Ziebart makes all the difference. Mine looked good up top, but turned out to be pretty crispy down below. Probably now been bangered and all... 

Look forward to hearing more about yours!